Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Multistrada 1200S shows no signs of ANY electrical power!!! No Dash activity, no lights, nothing (as if the battery were disconnected). It does not respond to the wireless Key Fob (which has a new battery) regardless of where it is held against the bike and the “emergency” switch to enter a PIN code does nothing at all.

The battery is at full charge ( LiFe), all fuses intact, power appears at the Starter Relay contact & I've checked all the connectors. The one time it showed these symptoms before (about 4 days B4 it went into full cardiac arrest), I was able to take the seat off, check all the connectors and all of the sudden, life returned. When it “powered up” it went thru a full suspension calibration and start-up sequence as if the battery HAD BEEN disconnected.

I’ve run out of things to check. Any Suggestions?????????

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I have nothing useful to offer but I do feel like commenting.

1. Call the dealer when they open
2. Get out the BMW

I must say the number of threads about electrical issues on newer Ducati bikes is concerning.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If you haven't already, FULLY disconnect both the positive and negative battery cables - don't just check them - clean the terminals and reconnect. This has saved me a few times.

PS - Kinda/sorta related ... Heads up for the rest of you in case you get a DES error. Before you bring the bike in and get told you need a new $$$ suspension component, just disconnect the negative battery cable. This trick just worked for me the other day when I got a DES error ... http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/490401-des-preload-error-fix-i-thought-wouldn-t-work.html

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sounds like you are losing power to the ECU, just like if you disconnected the battery. Definitely clean up the connectors on the battery and make sure they're tight. I'd also remove the connections to the ECU module, spray them with contact cleaner (after disconnecting the battery!), let them dry and put them back on. My MTS ECU (much older than yours) has two multi-pin cable connections with locking connectors, they are very easy to take off and put back on. My ECU is literally an inch below the battery so the always-on power lead from the battery to fuse block to ECU is pretty short and not in a place where it's likely to ever get pinched or damaged. But... you never know.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
My 2016 Multistrada 1200S shows no signs of ANY electrical power!!! No Dash activity, no lights, nothing (as if the battery were disconnected). It does not respond to the wireless Key Fob (which has a new battery) regardless of where it is held against the bike and the “emergency” switch to enter a PIN code does nothing at all.

The battery is at full charge ( LiFe), all fuses intact, power appears at the Starter Relay contact & I've checked all the connectors. The one time it showed these symptoms before (about 4 days B4 it went into full cardiac arrest), I was able to take the seat off, check all the connectors and all of the sudden, life returned. When it “powered up” it went thru a full suspension calibration and start-up sequence as if the battery HAD BEEN disconnected.

I agree with others... power issue and since it happened before under the seat it's probably still under there. It's possible you have a connector or wire issue if wiggling things makes a difference, this time when wiggling things keep track of what you're banging on to narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have nothing useful to offer but I do feel like commenting.

1. Call the dealer when they open
2. Get out the BMW

I must say the number of threads about electrical issues on newer Ducati bikes is concerning.
Get out the BMW and be sure to take it in for its rear drive replacement or perhaps just a steering head adjustment, or maybe a rear shock replacement while you're at it.

Dude, no matter what you ride, there are a hundred things that can go wrong. Be careful when you criticize a bike brand on the site where their owners dwell. It is just not cool.

BMWs are no more reliable than newer model Ducatis. If you want reliability, well, we know where those are found, think across the Pacific...

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Get out the BMW and be sure to take it in for its rear drive replacement or perhaps just a steering head adjustment, or maybe a rear shock replacement while you're at it.

Dude, no matter what you ride, there are a hundred things that can go wrong. Be careful when you criticize a bike brand on the site where their owners dwell. It is just not cool.

BMWs are no more reliable than newer model Ducatis. If you want reliability, well, we know where those are found, think across the Pacific...
Dude...I am an owner of the brand I'm criticizing. You act like I frolic around the site promoting why you shouldn't own a Ducati. The OP owns a BMW which is why I referenced that brand, not for any other reason. Get over yourself and put your self righteous indignation aside. Maybe the words "I don't have anything useful to offer" mean something else where you're from.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Dude...I am an owner of the brand I'm criticizing. You act like I frolic around the site promoting why you shouldn't own a Ducati. The OP owns a BMW which is why I referenced that brand, not for any other reason. Get over yourself and put your self righteous indignation aside. Maybe the words "I don't have anything useful to offer" mean something else where you're from.
Talk about self righteousness.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get out the BMW and be sure to take it in for its rear drive replacement
Hate to break it to you, but his sig says he's got an XR which is chain drive.

Also, it is called a final drive, not a rear drive.

If you're going to piss on brands, please use the correct terminology :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a call from a Dealer last week ( I'd taken the MTS to them for diagnosis).

They said they found the Starter solenoid to be the problem ( sound s bit wacky to me but as long as they get it fixed , I don't care what they claim).

Have not heard back from them this week but they did say that Ducati was going to warranty the parts & labor for the repair and all I would pay is the Diagnostic fee.

I'll update this thread once i get the bike back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The issue is likely not the starter solenoid but rather the 4-pin connector on top of it. Two wires control the starter relay, the other two wires supply power to the rest of the bike. Power goes from the battery to the starter solenoid, out through the 30A fuse mounted on top and through the other two wires in the connector.

My bike recently had exactly the same problem. The two contacts develop corrosion due to high current, which eventually leads to arcing and complete failure (see attached photo).

Ducati have a service bulletin against this issue and there is an upgrade kit that bypasses the connector. It's not an active recall though.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
The issue is likely not the starter solenoid but rather the 4-pin connector on top of it. Two wires control the starter relay, the other two wires supply power to the rest of the bike. Power goes from the battery to the starter solenoid, out through the 30A fuse mounted on top and through the other two wires in the connector.

My bike recently had exactly the same problem. The two contacts develop corrosion due to high current, which eventually leads to arcing and complete failure (see attached photo).

Ducati have a service bulletin against this issue and there is an upgrade kit that bypasses the connector. It's not an active recall though.
Exact same issue for my 2014.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Wow, this seems like it SHOULD be a recall. From your description, if the unfused wires go into the connector and fused 30A back out through the same connector, then arcing/melting might (given the severity of the destruction in your photos) cross over to the unfused wires, no?:surprise:
Worth pulling the connector just to inspect-
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
cardiac arrest

I would also offer this advice...CHECK ALL THE GROUNDS!!
Clean them
Check the wires inside the connectors...if you see green...replace the wiore and connector
Use Di electric grease on connectors
Inspect your clectricaql connectors...Disconnect...stare at them in a meaningful way..iff all looks good..reconnect..
Vehicles today need a ground that is consistent as well as electrically robust..I added edxtra grounds on my 1996 900SS ..Cranking improved noticeably..
I purchased the Motolectric for the reassembly of the SS
I did a belt replacement on my ST4 and checked out the battery connectors...wasnt happy at all...Cleaned them up top and bottom with 400 grit dry sandpaper...happy now!!
Hope this helped
Mike S

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mrroberto - Thanks for the pictures. They are definitely disturbing but since I don't have the bike ( Shop does & they say the Starter Solenoid is the issue, I assume that that mode of failure was in fact what happened.

It's interesting to note that there was a recall about this that very few ( evidently) knew about. I looked up the recalls on the bike before i bought it last year and there was nothing there. It might explain why the Factory has indicated they will pay for the repair but if there is a recall ( even an inactive one), I should be able to get the diagnostic fee dropped as well.

If anybody has a recall notice number or document, please let me know.

Thanks, D

·
Registered
402 Posts
According to MrRoberto, it was a TSB, not a recall. Searching for TSBs, I mostly find limited info on the immobilizer system (not the full TSB). Surely someone here has a better place to find TSBs for Ducati.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts