Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks- I have a GT jones. I'm going to look at one and would like to get some tips on what to look for. Of couse, i've heard about the tank thing, but wonder if it's really just blown out of proportion. If you pad out the mounts, doesn't that take care of the issue? What is the long term extent of tank expansion?

In the mechanical department, what should I be looking for? I get the feeling that the air cooled 992 is pretty straightforward and reliable. I've seen talk here about dampers and suspension. Is a damper really life or death? hat are folks doing for suspension and what are the costs? The machine has 8,000mi- anything specific to look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Check these:

Cam inspection covers for leaks
VRR for discolored wires
Frame damage, bent turn stops, axle scratches
Two tone engine, top to bottom
Corrosion on grounds/connectors
Ask about mods that have been removed
Ask for maintenance records, valves ans belts. Look at oil color, smell gas
Pray the tank is expanded, means new one for you
Listen to belts and valves to see if loose out of sync
I think there is a way to tell by looking at the headers if the bike has been running lean
That's all I got sitting here at mcdonalds after dropping my dead bike off at the shop!!
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where are you located?

Tank Expansion is a real issue. I bought a used 2006 and the tank was so expanded it was insane. But I got the tank replaced for free under warranty, as many others have as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check these:

VRR for discolored wires [what's a VRR?]

Two tone engine, top to bottom [two tone?]

Listen to belts and valves to see if loose out of sync [if they're off, won't the valves crash?]
Sorry- just looking for a clarification on the above.
I just don't know what to make with the tank issue. The replacement will expand anyway- even if it's coated with caswell's. By now, people have had replacement tanks on these things and by now, the replacement tanks have expanded- so what's the final word on the issue? have people just learned to modify the stops to meet the expanded tank? Sorry, don't mean to make this a tank thread, but I want to know what I'm getting into.

THANK YOU!

·
Official Retired Person
7,522 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't get too freaked out about the tank issue. If you find a bike with a bad one, use it as a negotiating tool. Once you own the bike get it warrantied, coat it, and never worry about it again.
If the tank is good when you buy the bike, get it coated right away and never worry about it again.
Check the voltage regulator and wiring, whether the valves been serviced at the proper intervals, and find out when the timing belts have last been changed. Beyond that, look for the normal stuff you would look for buying any bike.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I did that mine. Used the tank issue and unknown service history as bargaining tool

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I've had mine since it was new. Here's my spin on a used one:

1) There's a settlement on the tank issue, if it's expanded beyond verifiable specs, they owe you a new tank. If the spread isn't too bad, you'll get some larger mounts from the dealer. Coating properly done should prevent future spread issues. There is a sunset on the replacement of tanks, but it depends on the original puchase date ( I think ).

2) The Dual Spark engine is a pretty reliable and durable piece, but anything is vulnerable to abuse. Ask for service records, and check the overall appearance of the bike. If the outside looks good, it's probably OK inside, and vice versa.

3) There are now many options for wheel/suspension/brake upgrades. Stock is just OK. Ride it, then decide if and how much you want to tackle. Nothing is mandatory, but you can do it in stages. Lighter wheels will give you the biggest impact for your $$.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you get the tank coated? At the dealership? What's the cost? Just bought a 2010 GT1000 from a dealer in LA and having it shipped to me in NY in next couple weeks. Haven't seen much of the ethanol fuel at the pumps but maybe I just missed it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How do you get the tank coated? At the dealership? What's the cost? Just bought a 2010 GT1000 from a dealer in LA and having it shipped to me in NY in next couple weeks. Haven't seen much of the ethanol fuel at the pumps but maybe I just missed it.
I just recently bought my SC and the seller had the tank replaced and coated in June 2012. He gave me the receipts to it, and either he or the dealership sent it to a company to be done (I don't recall what he said now) at a cost of roughly $250.

Don't quote me exactly on the price as I don't have the documents with me, but it was somewhere in that ballpark.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi....am on look out for one also....sorry to hijack...

KTOGUN...could you please explain watch out for two tone engine, top to bottom...

·
Registered
431 Posts
These bikes ran too lean from ducati and caused the powdercoating on the engine heads to discolor if not addressed. A lot of us have the issue and its no biggie. Just a haggle point

·
Registered
55 Posts
These bikes ran too lean from ducati and caused the powdercoating on the engine heads to discolor if not addressed. A lot of us have the issue and its no biggie. Just a haggle point

thanks KT

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I'm the second boyfriend of my 2006 monoposto. No tank expansion and I later coated it via JC :D Still no expansion and we have ethanol here in Oregon. R/R went out so I replaced it with a MOSFET unit.

Coming from a Goldwing, the only thing requiring a change was the OEM 15-tooth front sprocket to a 14t sprocket so it was easier to ride in town. An Oberon clutch slave to help with the clutch pull was a nice help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts