Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an older cbr600rr and want a new bike!

I am considering buying the 848 superbike in white, but my buddies are trying to convince me otherwise. Something like a new R6, GSXR, or a CBR600. They are saying parts are way too expensive and the bike is too expensive.

Looking for some opinions and help here.

Thanks in advance,
Cody

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
They are saying parts are way too expensive and the bike is too expensive.
This is true, but it is a Ducati, and you get a whole different emotion from one compared to almost any Jap bike. It just depends if you feel that is worth it. Of course there are other things that set Ducs apart...
You are on a Duc site, so you will get the response of "get the duc"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true, but it is a Ducati, and you get a whole different emotion from one compared to almost any Jap bike. It just depends if you feel that is worth it. Of course there are other things that set Ducs apart...
You are on a Duc site, so you will get the response of "get the duc"
I know, thats what i want, convince me to get one!! i want one, i would much rather spend more money and get want i actually want versus saving money on a jap bike and have cheaper parts you know? And not only that but being up in Canada in winnipeg,mb there are next to none ducati's kickin around. like i dont think i have seen any but i think there is 1 red 848 out there.

so help me dignify spending the extra cash, i highly doubt ill do many aftermarket upgrades to it, i have an 07 jeep wrangler for that.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I dont think you need any help. You want it bad enough it seems. If you can spend the extra money then do it.
Here's a try:
Go get it. If you don't, then you are a douche bag. Does that work? ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
All those bikes are quite fast and sporty.

But there is a reason why Ducati has an appeal that the other bikes do not have.

There is a sense of exclusivity, brand loyalty, and exoticness that no Japanese bike has.

Getting the Duc brings you to a new level of motorcycle ownership. It brings a rare cameraderie that is unsurpassed in the motorcycle world (well, only Harley has greater brand loyalty). You just didn't buy a bike; you become part of the brand. You become Ducatista.

Look, some will say the Japanese bikes are faster and cheaper. I would compare it to the Nissan GT-R against a Ferrari 599: yes, one is faster and cheaper, but people will still envy the other a lot more... ;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ducatis are born with the ability to sync your heart and soul with theirs- you truly have to be open to this. I've ridden many Japanese bikes. Its just not the same. Its not something I can describe really. Sure, service can get way too expensive for the average Joe, but I feel that real Ducatisti do not typically rely on dealership service to keep their bikes going. Not all of us are wealthy-many of us can't afford to take our bikes to the dealership for everything. Parts can get expensive, upgrades too. It all adds up to the character of bike you wish to create. No matter how much elbow grease, sweat, and hard earned money I toss at my Duc, its utility is quickly realized as soon as i hear that exhaust note and we tear down a winding road.

Japanese bikes are great too Everyone has one though. Its all about your personal preference. Ride as many brands of bikes that you can, throughout a broad spectrum of configurations. Only you can make the call in the end. You're going to get biased answers on a Ducati forum... just saying :)

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,963 Posts
If you really want to make your mind up...just ride one.

It's a one way street after that.

You can never go back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think you need any help. You want it bad enough it seems. If you can spend the extra money then do it.
Here's a try:
Go get it. If you don't, then you are a douche bag. Does that work? ;)
ACTUALLY! it is exactly what i wanted to hear! Because now this summer i plan on getting one! how does that sound lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
theres an old bloke with an old bevel in nova scotia--he seems to get on ok--if you buy a duc--be prepared for a lifelong love affair--new or old--thats just the way it is

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So i have an older cbr600rr and want a new bike!

I am considering buying the 848 superbike in white, but my buddies are trying to convince me otherwise. Something like a new R6, GSXR, or a CBR600. They are saying parts are way too expensive and the bike is too expensive.

Looking for some opinions and help here.

Thanks in advance,
Cody
Triumph 675 :cool: :abduct:

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Someone already mentioned this, but I can't stress it enough--ride one. Seriously. I ride what I like but everyone has their own tastes. Test ride an 848 and anything else you are considering and forget what other people tell you to do. Buy the bike that feels the best and makes you happy. You'll find a significant part of that satisfaction will come even when you aren't riding--moreso with the Ducati.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look apart from some early(70s 80s jap trailbikes)Iam ducati all the way not because they are the best, fastest or winning worldsuperbike motogp but because when I first heard a L twin start up then rode it I was blinded.Luke feel the force feel the force

·
Registered
24 Posts
stand at rear of Ducati 848, have dealer start her up and rev a couple of times. go to <insert jap bike dealer>, then stand at rear of <insert jap model> bike and have dealer start him up and rev a couple of times.

choice will now become clear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get the Duc!!!!! I just bought my first one yesterday ('98 748S with custom paint). It runs hot, it's sketchy, the clutch is the loudest I've ever heard, and the seat is uncomfortable. I'm sure maintenance will be almost as much as my Harley, if not more; but it's the best handling bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Get the 848 because it's what you really want, plain and simple. I wanted a 996 but didn't have the full amount in cash needed to get a really nice one and financing I was told is impossible on older bikes like that, so I got a brand new 848. I totally don't regret, it's the latest and greatest and totally bad ass! +1 on hearing one run standing behind it! My salesperson did that for my girlfriend and all of a sudden her eyes lit up and she said GET IT.

All my friends have Jap bikes and made fun of me right away when they found out how much it cost. They all knew I had been wanting a Duc for more than 14 years though. Starting the next day they were saying how sexy it was and now they all beg me to let them ride it everytime I see them.

I just keep telling them no, go get your own :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
When you hear a Ducati coming and going versus the "others", what do you feel? I was in my car one day, a Ducati 999 behind me, I heard him coming, we stopped at a light....and I couldn't wait to roll the rear window just to hear that clutch and Termi rumble...I was very glad I own a Ducati. Decision is easy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Cody, there are a few duc's in the peg. I have three friend that have them, an 1198 and two red 848's. I see a white 848 on st marys all the time, there's 2 streetfighters, a handful of monsters which is what I had til it was stolen. I'm picking up a 999 shortly, join us

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had a ST4S for about 6 months....It's only been running properly about 3 of those months. I can't take it in to the dealership without them charging me $500 (this last time was $1500), it melts my legs it gets so hot, it hardley starts even in the best conditions and when it's cold it's even harder. The gas gauge randomely display bars and it's got a better chance of passing a kidney stone than any state inspection. It shudders coming to stop like it wants to throw me off and go find chicks. At any RPM below 5000 it bucks and surges like a funny car on diesel....buuuuut....when it is running right.....nothing compares!

You can marry the fat chick and she will be faithful and you'll always have a hot dinner when you get home....or you can marry the supermodel just understand it will take a lot more work but when the mood is right...!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've owned many bikes in the past 15 years, most of which have been Duc's. I've tried Jap, BMW and Harley, non of them ever gave me the feeling that my Ducati's have given me. Here's my list of ownership;

1995 916
1995 900ss
1999 996
2002 ST4S
2004 749S
2007 S4RS

I still remember the spring day when my first Ducati, a 1995 916 (wish I still had it) rolled off the truck. I was hooked from that day forward and I never looked back. These bikes become a part of you and most who own them understand what I mean. I currently own 2 Duc's and if I could own 3 more bikes they would all be Ducati's. Buy the Ducati I don't think you'll be sorry.

BTW, all my Duc's have been very reliable, never left me stranded.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts