Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I acquired my Hyper about a year-and-a-half ago ? a mint 2012 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.

I purchased it mainly to complement my 2006 SportClassic Sport 1000 which is a monoposoto (wanted to take the occasional passenger), and was living in New York City at the time so wanted something with a more upright riding position, tall so I could see over traffic, and just plain fun. Plus the last of the air cooled big bores? What's not to like!?

And that's just it ? I *like*, but don't love, my Hyper. I think it boils down to me not having any dirt or motard experience, and not enough butt-in-seat time on the bike (only ~1,000 miles due to an injury that took me out of commission for almost a year) to feel comfortable and fully appreciate it ? it's possible I'm still just learning the bike.

I got to take the bike out on some moderate twisties this weekend, and didn't feel very confident on it. Even with a steering damper, the front felt "squirrelly" to me (probably the geometry coupled with riser bars ? both new to me) and I wasn't quite sure how to position my body in turns (hang off? counter-lean?).

What do you all love the most about your Hypers? Especially those coming from a standard/naked or sport bike. What am I missing here? I want to increase my "like" to "love," and am more than willing to invest the time and miles.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ride it like any other sport bike. Keep your butt moving on the seat and transfer your weight depending on where your riding. Don't bother doing the foot out supermoto style, it's not a featherweight supermoto.. It's a long travel suspension naked sport bike that is easily flickable in the twisties. The suspension geometry causes the twitchy front end, which also makes the bike tip in quick. If it's too twitchy for you, then try raising the forks so they're flush with the upper triple tree.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got to take the bike out on some moderate twisties this weekend, and didn't feel very confident on it. Even with a steering damper, the front felt "squirrelly" to me (probably the geometry coupled with riser bars ? both new to me) and I wasn't quite sure how to position my body in turns (hang off? counter-lean?).
Coming from sportsbikes and regular naked bikes that were about carving nice smooth arcs, I found the Hyper prefers a more stop-go approach - brake deep to load up the front, tip it in hard, straighten out the exit. That way the bike's more upright when you hammer the gas, so the front end can go light without getting too squirrelly. (It still does a little - I've been told it's a bit unnerving for people to ride behind me. It feels pretty controlled though.)

As for riding position, as zibbit said you're better off at street speeds to hang off the inside like on a sportsbike. The shape of the bike can make it tricky to get a stable position so it might take some time to figure out how to lock your lower body (some grip pads might help, maybe try taking the rubber pads off your pegs). The only time I counter-lean like on a dirt bike is on extremely slow bends where I might have to lift my inside foot to let the peg fold up (not so much a problem with an SP).

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Get the suspension dialed in and go buy yourself a track day. What the closest track to NY, NJ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
What tires are on it and what condition are they in?

Get the suspension dialed in and go buy yourself a track day. What the closest track to NY, NJ?
This is your best bet. Get the suspension setup for your weight if you haven't done so already. There are track days frequently at New Jersey Motorsports Park that will provide you a safe environment to get completely comfortable with the machine.

New Jersey Motorsports Park | Millville, NJ

Everybody has their own taste but I find it hard to believe anyone that is into riding will not love a Hyper. It is still one of my favorites out of everything I have owned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts