Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and too lazy to read very single thread out there, so I was kinda hoping the info could just come to me..... :D I have a 2002 900 Sport that I would love to have more power for the track. Unfortunatley it tops out at about 125 mph on a long straight.
So my questions are:
Big bore kit? How much do they run? Installed price? Brands?
Fly Wheel, whats best?
Are there lighter wheels that are interchangable that won't cost me $4k?
I have Termi slips, who makes the rest?

This is solely for performance on the track, I really dont care about bling....

Thanks!

This is me on labor day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnv9V6rkpB8

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have a '99 SS with a 944 kit and ported heads, which gives a nice performance increase (77 to 95 RWHP, 60 to 71 lbs-ft). That work cost me over $3500 back in 2000. I also added cast mag wheels for about $2000, though the BST carbon rims are the current hot setup for a little over $3000 a pair.

My question is why all the effort into an SS for the track? There are better bikes for track days, if that is your pleasure. I just sold a pristine 2001 748R for $8500 that was a better track weapon (in exchange for street civility in the SS).

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
99 900ss

I;ve ponder the idea of a big bore kit, But for the money rz33v4 is telling it like it is and I myself will be buying a Track bike set up,lighter, and less = money saved in my pocket! I was thinking about R6 or
CBR but a 600cc for sure!

Won't sell the Duc, bikes are like Guns you never sell them you just buy more!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I completely agree with Curveman but rz33r4 has a very valid point. If you want to track it I say attack the weight and handling aspects. Squeezing every last bit of power from it wouldn't be very cost effective. It'll be like BTCC back when the big V8s invaded- handling Vs power.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I can see using a 900ss as a track bike, but just don't expect to beat inline 600cc bikes. my fzr600r is an old inline 4, and it is every bit as fast, if not faster on the track than my 900ss. Not NEARLY as much fun, but faster.

sounds like your just doing track days, not in wera or the like. If so, you are never going to be satisfied with the 900ss as a track bike, unless you realize it's about the thrill/skill of it, not the speed.

Hell, the super-moto guys here at my local track make me look like a snail some days...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Skill/Thill

I've been working on my corner speed and higher rpm in the corners to me = faster exit speed. The inline 4's beat me in the straights but in the turns we all have the same smiles!!

Buy the Track bike if you want speed I know my 99 900SS stock is way to heavy for the Track.

Try some other Tracks that suit your bikes power?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Cheap performance

Get the collector box enlarged. Cheap and better performance.

K&N air filter, open air box.

Nice air scoops, where did you get them?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
You might want to check this out..
http://www.bikeboy.org/performance.html
Look at the 2v section.. Brad has done tons of tuning to the 900 engine and has the graphs to prove what works.

Personally I´d look hard at replacing the 900 with a 1000DS engine..
But If your determined to do something, then simply camtiming and a good fuelmap will give you this..
Green = Stock
Blue = Staintune carbon fibre mufflers and an FIM remapped ECU
Red = The changes from the blue line are dialed cam timing, the Ducati Performance K&N air filter kit and a matching remapped ECU

Power

Torque

Best bang for the buck modification you can do.
But really.. Read all the articles from Brad.. He´s done ALOT to that engine.
Also PM Tom at Hypertrick for tips..

//amullo

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Cam timing

I have all the bits to do this now, just praying the pulleys are indeed adjustable, rather than needing offset keys.

I will start in a week or so and plan to take lots of pics and write a how to for D.ms

Richard

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
If you need offset keys, give Brad a call, I think i saw that he had some for sale.. Getting new ones are close to impossible, since Ducati no longer offer them as spare parts.

You just need to make sure you know the numbers. Brad can probably give you a few tips on what numbers he has used on the report above aswell, just make sure you know where they are now.

//amullo

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I have all the bits to do this now, just praying the pulleys are indeed adjustable, rather than needing offset keys.
they were adjustable form 2001 up, if i remember correctly,
if your bike has 5 spokes, it will certainly have ajustable pulleys.
they are easy to detect by the way, with a small look behind the
belt covers, as the adjustable ones have got three little screws
around the center nut and the non-adjustable ones doesn't.

great that you are doing a write and picture up about it.

:)

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
For the original post

Are you certain it is 2002?

My understanding is the 2000 model had the 3 spoke wheels and the "rubber" pads that I can see between the tank and the frame to fill in the indent.

This bit is guaranteed (for Australia at least) the 2001 used the 5 spoke Marchesini wheels which are lighter than the 3 spoke of 2000. Also the 2001 did not have the rubber pads on the sides of the tank. The 2001 had a grey frame and grey seat and tank pad, whilst I think the 2000 seat at least was different (black?)

I have only read about this, but apparently the 900 lends itself to higher compression - 10:1 without undue stress as opposed to stock 9.2:1. This does however require use of higher octane fuels to prevent predetonation. Not a problem to me as I always run 98, but (maybe it is a myth) I heard US fuel may be lower octane rating. Could this account for your 125mph? In kmh this is 200.

My speedo has shown 210 kmh with 2 up and still accelerating, but this may be a case of your speedo, my speedo and the truth!

These bikes lend themselves to sprocket changes. The usual, which i have done is to drop from 15 teeth on the front to 14, which will reduce speed in each gear, but really adds some zip to acceleration - search for other posts on this, but it is highly recommended as these bikes are overgeared.

Richard

New here and too lazy to read very single thread out there, so I was kinda hoping the info could just come to me..... :D I have a 2002 900 Sport that I would love to have more power for the track. Unfortunatley it tops out at about 125 mph on a long straight.
So my questions are:
Big bore kit? How much do they run? Installed price? Brands?
Fly Wheel, whats best?
Are there lighter wheels that are interchangable that won't cost me $4k?
I have Termi slips, who makes the rest?

This is solely for performance on the track, I really dont care about bling....

Thanks!

This is me on labor day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnv9V6rkpB8

1 - 16 of 16 Posts