Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike is used and I'm the third owner. I'm trying to piece together what mods were done to the bike so I can check to make sure it was setup correctly.

Okay, so the cans are Silmotor carbon. The ad said it came with an ECU. Where is the ECU located so I can get some part numbers off it. Also, I can't seem to locate any numbers on the cans only "Silmotor". I know the cans come in different sizes, what do I measure to find out what size/model it is?

When you modify the exhaust/ECU, do you have to change the air/fuel mix or does the ECU take this into account?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
ECU: The ECU is placed between the clutch and the battery. Two large connectors go into it. The ECU itself is quite small.

Cans: Check the diameter of the pipes going from the cans to the engine. They should be 45, 50 or 54mm pipes. That will tell you alot. Bigger isn´t always better in this case. You can also check http://www.silmoto.com for more information

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Not sure where the ECU on a 998 is but I think it might be near the battery? should be some numbers on it? regarding the can size, systems are usually 45mm or 50mm, you can measure the pipe (OD) but if you look at the mid section (by the footpeg) if the pipes are straight then they're probably 50mm cans as the 45mm have a stepped piece (with a small muffler in them), if you've got 50mm cans then the mid section will step up from 45-50mm and you can see the 'taper' at the lower bend or it could have 50mm full system - larger systems are also available but not as common.

I think only the SP/SPS/R models had 50mm systems from new?, all the others have a 45mm system, at least on the 916/996 that was the way, not sure on the 998.

45mm mid section with 45mm cans;

45-50mm mid section with 50mm cans;

:)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

I've seen the ECU but it doesn't say Silmotor on it anywhere, it kinda looks stock but I'm not sure.

What are the ramifactions of running aftermarket cans without updating the ECU? It seems to idle well and doesn't die.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The ECU won't be a Silmotor, Ducati make the ECU's there will be a stock ECU and an ECU for open pipe which should be the same or similar whether it's Silmotor, Termi or whatever, the ECU will have some code no./part no. that will identify which one it is, if you run the open pipe with stock ECU it will run lean (as more Gas will be passing through the motor with the same amount of fuel therefore the charge will contain more air = lean) so you will probably gain little or no power, you may even lose some. Running lean can cause overheating and in extreme cases a burned-out piston/valves but this is unlikely and only under extreme circumstances, the idling would probably be OK as the need for more fuel will be more at higher RPM.

If you have the stock ECU, I would reccomend you get either the correct one or a Power commander/Ultimap, which can be mapped to give the right fuelling, either way the bike will need setting up properly to give full advantage of the better 'breathing'.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DukeDesmo said:
The ECU won't be a Silmotor, Ducati make the ECU's there will be a stock ECU and an ECU for open pipe which should be the same or similar whether it's Silmotor, Termi or whatever, the ECU will have some code no./part no. that will identify which one it is, if you run the open pipe with stock ECU it will run lean (as more Gas will be passing through the motor with the same amount of fuel therefore the charge will contain more air = lean) so you will probably gain little or no power, you may even lose some. Running lean can cause overheating and in extreme cases a burned-out piston/valves but this is unlikely and only under extreme circumstances, the idling would probably be OK as the need for more fuel will be more at higher RPM.

If you have the stock ECU, I would reccomend you get either the correct one or a Power commander/Ultimap, which can be mapped to give the right fuelling, either way the bike will need setting up properly to give full advantage of the better 'breathing'.
Okay, so if the air filters were removed (as there are no air filters in it now) would it compensate for the free flowing exhaust? I'm not trying to shortcut just trying to figure out what the guy did or didn't do and why.

BTW, can the dealer remap the air / fuel mix for my setup or is the powercommander the only way to do it?

How do i tell if i have an ecu for open pipes?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
746 Posts
level7 said:
Okay, so if the air filters were removed (as there are no air filters in it now) would it compensate for the free flowing exhaust? I'm not trying to shortcut just trying to figure out what the guy did or didn't do and why.

BTW, can the dealer remap the air / fuel mix for my setup or is the powercommander the only way to do it?

How do i tell if i have an ecu for open pipes?

Thanks for your help.
If the filters are removed and you have a free flowing exhaust, this would mean you will be running lean, this is BAD.

My original Ducati 998 ECU had the following markings -
"998DUCATI014" on one side
"S16DH023" on the other

I did put a set of 45mm Termis's on and they came with an ECU to suit, the ECU had a sticker on the side with indications of what the ECU was for.
ie. 45mm Exhaust ECU
Ducati Part Number - 96507402E

I then installed a set of BMC air filters which leaned out the mix, I then installed a Power Commander 3 and have never looked back. You get much better control of whats happening throughout rev range and RPM. Better set up on a DYNO though.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
depends on what you mean by "BAD" I know that on my R6 I installed a jet kit (its carbureted) will working out the bug on the dyno the bike put out more hp will running lean than it did with the proper air to fuel ratio. But the bottom end of the torque curve suffered alittle bit for it though. On the R6 I prefer to have the power on the top end anyway though. The Ducati may be a different issue. My suggestion would be to get a power commander and some dyno time. I have on mess with a power commander once, I tried to set it up by just loading a map and driving the bike. after about 3 weeks and probably 12 different maps I was never able to work out the flat spots. Granted the bike ran better with the commander and a few of the maps (the others made it run worse) a Dyno is the best way to work it out perfect. For you bike to really run at its best you should custom make the map on the dyno because it will take into account the conditions where you are. Things like altitude and humidity ect. I can tell a difference in the R6 depending on the weather, It runs best on cool (65-75degree) dry days. My 996 isnt so high strung so it harder to pick up on its affinities

·
Registered
746 Posts
The "BAD" side of running lean can result in a number of very expensive repairs.
ie - Burnt valves, pistons etc etc.
As opposed to a little on the rich side.
One of the best tell tales is the colour of your spark plug electrode.

White is bad, grey is good and black is rich.

I have only tweaked my Powercammander once so far that is after loading it with a map from Dynojets website. The map seems to be a good choice with smoother performance allround. My tweak was with the Accelerator Pump option (Sensitivity + Fuel% + RPM).

How is your 996 set up?
Exhaust ?
INktake filters?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
jules_1972 said:
The "BAD" side of running lean can result in a number of very expensive repairs.
ie - Burnt valves, pistons etc etc.
As opposed to a little on the rich side.
One of the best tell tales is the colour of your spark plug electrode.

White is bad, grey is good and black is rich.

I have only tweaked my Powercammander once so far that is after loading it with a map from Dynojets website. The map seems to be a good choice with smoother performance allround. My tweak was with the Accelerator Pump option (Sensitivity + Fuel% + RPM).

How is your 996 set up?
Exhaust ?
INktake filters?

My plugs are black. Just pulled them yesterday. How can that be?

I just looked at the ECU, it has the same numbers as the ones you posted.

I thought that the exhaust had a stronger then normal smell but wasn't sure because this is my first Ducati.

So a power commander is in order.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Plugs are black, hmmm...
Go for a ride and have someone follow you, give it a handful of throttle and get the person to watch the colour of exhaust gas coming out the pipes.

Which numbers are on ECU?
This one or 96507402E or S16DH023?

Powercommander is great, i do recommend it for your bike. I use a base map from Dynojet (Euro 998S) and have enabled the Accelerator Pump option.
Settings for this is -
Sensitivity - 80%
Engine RPM - 20rpm
Fuel - 10%

Have a look at this guys website -
http://www.ducatisuite.com/powercommander.html

Follow instructions from Dynojet plus the instructions from the website and you will install in around 2-3 hours. Look through the website as there is alot of interesting articles.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jules_1972 said:
Which numbers are on ECU?
This one or 96507402E or S16DH023?
Hope this helps.
I have the S16DH023, sorry.

I'll have someone follow and look at the exhaust.

You've been a great help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts