Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I look online I see the same 8 photos of sample sparkplugs, apparently from NGK if I am not mistaken, and none of them look like my plugs, which both look completely different but somewhat healthy, I think.

The bike is a '94 with high-comps and FCR41's. Stock jetting, EMR needles on the middle clip. So far as I can tell, stock timing with a touch of detonation under heaviest loads on the hottest days, but none otherwise. It does have an oil consumption issue, about 1 qt every 1k miles. Compression looks good, both cylinders in the 210 range and within a few points of each other.

My Kokusan igniters popped a few years ago and I replaced them with some Electrosport modules. Using these the front cylinder looked black, sooty and wet and the rear cylinder looked chalky. I assumed that the front was my problem cylinder, but I consistently still had issues with the bike. I recall Brad Black, in several instances, blaming the Electrosport igniters for fouling plugs and running lousy.

Recently I came across a pair of DP igniters, the 7.900 version, and swapped them out, with good results. Much better running, better starting, and cleaner less fouled plugs. Now the front looks good I think, and the back looks like the problem cylinder, but I'm no expert and open to some opinions.

These are the same plugs I had been using, pulled and cleaned with a wire brush some 200 miles ago. This is all from the DP igniters. Plugs are photographed in front of their respective cylinders.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
They both look to have a significant wear. I'd replace them.

t_bare

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Not perfect, but if that were my bike I’d clean them and ride. Not sure what wear t-bare sees, electrodes show no erosion. Good to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Everywhere I look online I see the same 8 photos of sample sparkplugs, apparently from NGK if I am not mistaken, and none of them look like my plugs, which both look completely different but somewhat healthy, I think.

The bike is a '94 with high-comps and FCR41's. Stock jetting, EMR needles on the middle clip. So far as I can tell, stock timing with a touch of detonation under heaviest loads on the hottest days, but none otherwise. It does have an oil consumption issue, about 1 qt every 1k miles. Compression looks good, both cylinders in the 210 range and within a few points of each other.

My Kokusan igniters popped a few years ago and I replaced them with some Electrosport modules. Using these the front cylinder looked black, sooty and wet and the rear cylinder looked chalky. I assumed that the front was my problem cylinder, but I consistently still had issues with the bike. I recall Brad Black, in several instances, blaming the Electrosport igniters for fouling plugs and running lousy.

Recently I came across a pair of DP igniters, the 7.900 version, and swapped them out, with good results. Much better running, better starting, and cleaner less fouled plugs. Now the front looks good I think, and the back looks like the problem cylinder, but I'm no expert and open to some opinions.

These are the same plugs I had been using, pulled and cleaned with a wire brush some 200 miles ago. This is all from the DP igniters. Plugs are photographed in front of their respective cylinders.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

The rear plug looks normal and the front is slightly rich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Put me down as another victim of a bad Electrosport igniter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts