Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Help me decide!! - Monster 1000S or 900 Super Sport

6283 Views 31 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  racerxcph
I have decided to take the Ducati plunge and have found two good (what I believe to be good that is) deals on two Ducati bikes:

- 2004 Monster 1000S ie with 4,900 miles fully stock. The price is $6,500.
- 1999 SuperSport 900FF with 13,000 miles, corbin seat, FSF pipes and carbon fiber clutch cover. The price is $5,000.

Both bikes are yellow and in great shape (the Monster is actually Mint with all paperwork and the SS900 is in very good condition with a couple scratches on the lower fairing and the dealer just did a full 12k service on it).

Both are great bikes and both are similar (but much superior) to two previous bikes I've owned in the past (a 1998 CBR 600F3 which I still own but will sell if I buy the Duc, and a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700S). I just can't decide which one to buy. I don't know which one is the better deal. Since you guys are Ducati experts, can you provide me with the pros and cons of each bike and which one you think is the better deal?

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been a bit more specific about what I'm looking for in a bike:

First of all, I really enjoy having a sportbike since I do 1 or 2 track days per year and I like the feel of a nimble bike in the twisties. However, I also use my bike in the spring, summer and fall (I live in New England) to commute to work (30-35 minutes each way). I found that my CBR600F3 was a bit uncomfortable on my commute after a while even though these bikes are not that aggressive. My lower back and wrists wound hurt after a while. So I was thinking about getting a bike with a bit more relaxed riding position (Hence the Monster). The problem is I don't want to give up the sportbike feel either. So hence my dillema. I really don't know which bike to get. I even thought about getting an ST but that may be a bit too tame for me and I still want to be able to do track days. So I guess the best thing would be to get both bikes but I can only afford one.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone here for the great advice. I have indeed looked at the ST4s and absolutely love the bike but all the ones I've looked at have been quite expensive used. I'm looking to keep my budget at around 6k for a used Ducati and that is why I'm really leaning more towards one of the two bikes I mentioned. I considered a used ST3 but I have not been able to find any good used deals on those. I know for a fact that the 2004 monster is a really good deal since it is almost new, was owned and babied by a respectable adult doctor and is probably the better of the two deals. However, the SS is probably the better bike for me after having changed out the stock bars and added risers as people have suggested. The only qualm I have about that bike is I don't think I'm getting as good a deal on it as the monster and it is also quite a bit older with 13k miles. Even though I'm buying the bike through a ducati dealer, I have a feeling that the previous owner was younger and did not take care of the bike as well as the guy who had the monster. Finally, I really wanted a red ducati but it seems that yellow is all I can find especially for a good price. Am I being impatient here? I just feel like if I don't jump at one of these opportunities, I may not have another for a while and I really want a ducati to ride as soon as weather permits. I feel like I might miss the boat here. Thanks again for all of your help and great advice.

P.S. - By the way, is now a good time to buy a ducati (February in New England) or am I buying at a bad time? I am willing to wait another season to get a good deal and really find what I want (that is hopefully a red ducati and taking my time finding the right model that fits me well) if now is a bad time.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi rotoRooterGuy,

I live in NH. Do you have any recommendations on good dealerships there or where I can get a good deal? The problem I'm running into is that stock is quite low at all the local dealers and that there are hardly any leftovers to work out a good deal on.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi bruce19,

I'm very familiar with the Falco. I agree it is an awesome bike. A friend of mine has one and I've ridden it many times. It is also excellent on the track. That motor is the same Rotax motor as in the Mille just tuned differently. I will also consider a falco if I can find one in great shape and has been well taken care of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.