Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I crashed my 2 month old Monster 696 a week ago, total loss event, and now am faced with a difficult choice.

I got a good deal on my 696 and the price has increased since I bought mine. I dont really want to spend as much as they are selling for now ($2000AUD price increse thanks to the financial crisis).

I have started to look around at used S2R800's as they are a good price. Took one for a ride and it was one of the worst bikes I have ever been on! WTF. I love the look of the bike, it really screams to me to buy one but im not sure if it was an isolated incident of that bike being crap, or if it is just how they are? They have no front suspension adjustability just like my 696, so I cant figure out why it handled so badly.

The S2R cant have handled like this from new or nobody would have bought one so whats the deal.

I cant go around and ride a few S2R's as there is only one I can find at a dealer and I cant bring myself to dissappoint private sellers for bikes I dont like the condition of just for the sake of a test ride.

I have found an immaculate S2R800 in as new condition, but it is a long way from where I live and I have no way of getting around. If I go to see a bike, I cant waste time and money as I need one asap.

So here in lies my dillema, do I take a leap of faith and buy an S2R and hope the one I test rode was an isolated piece of shit, or just bite the bullet and get a new 696?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated from any 696 and S2R riders (or anyone for that matter)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
90 Posts

What do you reckon mate?

I think you answered your own question 1st up ;)
Since when did the 696 increase in price by $2k? I know the 1100 increased in price by $500 in May, so surely even if there is an increase for the 696 it would be no more than a few hundred. I know you said you don't want to spend much, but go try a 1100. It's a big jump from the 696!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since when did the 696 increase in price by $2k? I know the 1100 increased in price by $500 in May, so surely even if there is an increase for the 696 it would be no more than a few hundred. I know you said you don't want to spend much, but go try a 1100. It's a big jump from the 696!
I should clear up this increse, I paid $13800AUD for my 696, and now depending on the dealer (being the one who has my wrecked bike) is $2000AUD more at $15800AUD.

I have really been thinking hard about the M1100 but I just dont feel I can stretch my budget that far. I know the 1100 is a far better bike but its out of my price range, or all of the 1000DS/1100DS bike range for that matter.

I really like the S2R800, more so its affordability. I just need some opinions on weather my ride bike was just poorly set up in some way, and that the S2R really is a good steering, stable bike?

Thanks guys

Please keep the posts coming

·
Registered
90 Posts
I should clear up this increse, I paid $13800AUD for my 696, and now depending on the dealer (being the one who has my wrecked bike) is $2000AUD more at $15800AUD.

I have really been thinking hard about the M1100 but I just dont feel I can stretch my budget that far. I know the 1100 is a far better bike but its out of my price range, or all of the 1000DS/1100DS bike range for that matter.

I really like the S2R800, more so its affordability. I just need some opinions on weather my ride bike was just poorly set up in some way, and that the S2R really is a good steering, stable bike?

Thanks guys

Please keep the posts coming
Ah I see. I have never ridden the S2R so I can't comment. But if you don't mind leaving the Ducati family, how about the Street Triple R? That is a sensational bike. I nearly bought that over a Monster 1100.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I originally was going to buy that bike as it is fantastic, BUT, the insurance on the street triple, street triple R and speed triple are over DOUBLE that of the Ducati monster range. Go figure.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Buy an S4RS, better than an S2R and the 696. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have not had any problems with my S2R 800. I can see peoples complaints about soft front brakes, but those can be upgraded....almost anything can be built better than it is. I believe the Hp and Torque values are about the same for the S2R800 and 696 also....I find the saddle on the S2R to be more comfortable than the 696s I had sat on, and I still have not gotten used to the "new" style of the 696. Another added bonus is that the Single Sided Swingarm is ultra cool looking!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could buy a S4RS, although spending as much as a new bike EACH service turns me off :) just kidding, they are awesome, but not foe the mileage I do.

On the subject of the S2R again, I found that although on paper the 696 and S2R are almost the same, the S2R is much stronger in the bottom end power delivery than the 696, but the 696 has a better top end rush.

The seat on the S2R was far more comfortable I found also. The brakes I can deal with, as was mentioned they can be easily updated to 4 piston types. The radial mount brake setup is all the rage, but the difference between a good traditional 4 piston setup and a normal (not monobloc race type) radial setup is not noticeable on the street. Bottom line, radial mount brakes sell bikes coz it makes the average Joe feel that little bit closer to being Casey Stoner. :cool:

Are the S2R owners out there happy with their rides? The style of the bike is far better than the new crop of monsters, but its not all about looks, I need it to perform in the handling department too

·
Registered
871 Posts
No, you're not kidding, I have 11,000 miles on my S4RS and you are correct, the cost of service is outrageous. I had to find more economical sources to service my bike. European Cycle Services, Middletown, NY, just a little plug for the boys.

Good luck in your quest for a new bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMHO, the S2R 800 incident, was an isolated case. I've riden one, compare to my M620 Dark[same brakes/front suspension], the S2R 800's extra punch was welcomed on the road we were riding.

Did the tyre preasures were at OEM settings? Where the tyres the OEM type or aftermarket ones? How was the weather that day? How were you feeling? All of these things affect the ride or 'feel of the ride'; I rode a S4R, and felt it was just like a japanese liter bike, nothing down under all on top, but that day, I was feeling down, so the ride felt down.

Me personally, as you say "finances are not optimun', would go for the S2R 800, and have a nice project bike. First thing, get new brake pads[EBC] all around, new brake fluid, and while riding, take notes and adjust tyre preasures to your weight and riding style.

Hope this helps mate. Carefull with the :alien: and :abduct:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that reply, I am not sure about the tyre pressure, but I know that the front was a pirelli of some sort (worn), and a pilot road 2 on the rear.

I am just waiting on word from my insurance company on weather they will give me a new 696 or give me a payout.

I will take the plunge and get the S2R in the event of the payout

·
Registered
69 Posts
s2r

My wife and I both have s2r 800's and we love them. the 696's I have rode to handle a little quicker due to the slightly shorter wheelbase and skinnier tires. However, the s2r is much more stable at speed. my buddy that I ride with can't stand to be on the interstate but my s2r loves to cruise at 90mph. like someone said, the suspsension can be stiffened up cheaply by installing about 1/4" of sch 50 pvc pipe in the top of the fork stanchions. I don't find the brakes to be any softer than the 696's I've ridden. I've got 16k miles on mine and I've had no real problems.
Also, I much prefer the analog tach to the digital.
Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an S2R 1K, and bought an S2R 800 for my wife a few months back. I've ridden the bike a fair amount, and like it a lot. It feels considerably lighter than the 1000, and though it doesn't have the same amount of grunt, it's a lot easier to ride at low speeds (cuz it's carbed, not EFI), handles well in the twisties, and is quite stable at speed. Also pretty as hell (she has a red one.)

Does sound like the bike you rode was set up wrong (or perhaps it had to do with having two different kinds of tires on the bike, one of which was worn.) Some new rubber would probably make a big difference in the handling department. Perhaps adjusting the rear spring, as well.

Any reason you're not considering the 1K? Good bike, and probably a lot cheaper than a new 696 or 1100...

Topangster

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was going to ask what financial crisis are you talking about where the prices of Monster 696s went up since 2 months ago, because they are still the same price in the U.S., but then I saw you are in Australia, so nevermind, I have no idea what price the Monsters there were going for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"A major step backwards?" How do you figure... I think if one went from an
S2R to a 696.....that would be a step backwards...:think: I would never give up my S2R for a 696.

·
Registered
43 Posts
S2r

I have an 800 and I absolutely love it. The brakes were a little soft, but like others have said it is very easy to fix. The reason I got the 800 over the 1k was price ($1000usd) difference. I should have waited a few months. But either way I still love the 800. Don't set yourself up for regrets get s2r.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a S2R1000 and absolutely love it. I have nothing against the 696 but I chose to buy one of the last S2R1000s over it. To me the older styling is much more Italian and unique to Ducati. Low end power is great, and I love the dry clutch. In the end it is up to you but I would not look at either as a step down, just a step in a different direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts