Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a year of being Duc-less, I'm picking up a new-to-me 749R next week, shod with new Pilot Race tires. The seller is giving me an option of tires to spoon on, and need some help deciding what to request.

First off, the bike is not going to be raced... so, Tye, 16.5" mags w/ N-Tecs are not an option :p I'm expecting to slab it 15 miles it to work on occasion (no twisties in my area), and get my ass back on the track with it; I'm actually leaning toward a track-biased tire since I don't expect to be tearing up public highways, but I do need street-legal rubber.

I have used a set of pilot races before, but not enough to give a fair evaluation. In fact, I can't recall how they felt.

I mostly used Pilot Powers/2CT's on the track because at the time, they worked well for me and my base 749 which spent more time on roads than I expect the R will.

I like the grip from B-stone 002's, but they had a slight tendency to stand up while trail braking, which may have been chassis related. Wore pretty quickly tho.

There's been a few others, but I dont feel like rambling on about every mental note.. so give me your impressions on the latest and greatest rubber!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Bridgestone BT-016s. Give 'em a try. ;) Very sticky sidewalls with triple compound in the rear and dual in the front.

·
Registered
210 Posts
:yeah:

BT-016 , their versatility is unsurpassed , they heat up quickly , and give great feedback.
:cool:

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 are great street tires and can be used at mid B level pace at the track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BRIDGESTONE! thats all i use. and ill be honest with you. very reliable. last a good while. sticky sidewalls. alot of response. i used to do alot of burnouts and they lasted longer than my pirelli diablos. tell you anything? haha i think ive said enough...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
#1 -- Bt-003rs

#2 -- Bt-016

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Another vote for Bt016's for brisk street riding. Very quick heating, break-in, and great grip too. I just ordered another set from Southwest moto tire, $239 (I think) shipped, no tax.

Two very good riders I know that combine track days with canyon riding swear by the 003's. But I have no first hand experience with them

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anyone running the BT-003RSs on their street bike? I am doing a trackday in October and my BT-016s will not be up for it.

This will be my only trackday for a while so I am stressing about the tire choice. I love the 016s on the street but have heard they go away quickly on the track. I am thinking about getting the 003RSs or PP2CTs.

I haven't been to the track in a while but I should circulate pretty well, I used to run the Michelin 1800 slicks on the SS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
tire choices

I just picked up a set of the new Bridgestone BT-003 RS's , but haven't got them installed yet..... the guy I got them from is a Bridgestone distributor here in Ontario Canada, and has been using the race version on the track for a couple of months now... He swears by them, and said that the RS version should yield decent mileage and great grip at the same time.... sounds perfect for my riding style.......One thing I noticed though is that a lot of dealers are sold out and I lucked out finding a pair close to home..... they were on backorder everywhere I called......... I'll post a review later this week after I've had a chance to try them...... Cheers ! Les

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had some good experiences with the Bridgestones, but I'm not a fan of the profile. In all honesty, any tire will work on the street, as long as its not a DOT race tire or "track day" tire, which tend to wear very quickly.

Like I said, the R will be ridden seldomly on public roads, as there really isn't anything interesting to ride in my local area (that's why I have the DR-Z :cool:) so I'm not too concerned with running race/track tires. Thinking about the new B-stone if they're available, otherwise I may just stick with the Power Races... now to find some new warmers

·
Registered
382 Posts
What about the Metzeler RaceTec series? I have been using them (K2 version) for the last 5+ years and they built for track days and sport riding (canyons, local roads). I have used them for short/long commutes as well (gotta get to the good canyons). Always been satisfied. Planning on using them for a track day in September.

I would like to try the new K3 version for the rear tire after the current one. I currently have K2 series on the front and rear.

One of the Euro mags (Superbike, FastBike, or RIDES) ranked them the best all around tire for track/supersport riding. Also the Pirelli equivalent - SuperCorsa is also very good. Metzler and Pirelli are the same company, and the tire technology is going to be shared amoung the different tire models.

FYI: I believe the Metzeler RaceTec series are the spec tires for BSBK superstock.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/products/newproducts/racetec/product_features/default.page

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1/2953/Motorcycle-Article/Metzelers-New-Racetec-Supersport-Tire.aspx

·
Registered
835 Posts
Your not going to track a 749r? hummm... Rosso's are good tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts