Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Y'all..
Recently I was searching here on thoughts about brake rotors to put on my NIB marchesini magnesium wheels for my 1098S for doing some track days with when I ran across a thread about magnesium oxidation.. well to keep it short, I went out to my garage and opened up the box that held my new wheels and %$&@*! they are oxidized!!! They are brand new, (although I purchased them over 2 years ago, I have been overseas for awhile as well as I was waiting until I needed to get new tires anyways before mounting them) I bought them new but I don't remember from where at the moment. Other than briefly opening the box when I first got them they have been untouched and stored in my garage for over 2 years.

As for the "HELP!" part:

1. Is there a way for me to remove this oxidation then coat them or something to inhibit further oxidation & fix the unsightly look??

2. Should I have them x-rayed or dye-penetrated inspection or magnafluxed or something to find out if they're good or dangerous to use?

3. Is there somebody in the USA that can do whatever it takes to make them safe & nice looking again?

4. Am I just out of luck once they started oxidizing..?

Any advice & help will be greatly appreciated!

Pics:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone.. anyone..? Bueller.. Bueller..?

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Oxidation is normal for this material on areas exposed to air/ moisture. You can simple put a little emery cloth to the area then seal it with some clear coat. If you got lots of money to burn get them media blasted with a soft material and then have them re-conversion coated but expect them to be a different color when you get em back. I don't think you need to get em x rayed but do what ever you feel is needed to b safe. The exposed surface of Magnesium that is on the mounting points of the wheel will get this and it does not make them unusable. In my opinion it is like surface rust. If the oxidation continues to the point it damages the mounting surface and the there is so little material left that mounting them is unsafe then yes it is too late. Yours dont look that bad to me. Clean em up and get em mounted. Mounting the valves minimizes the exposure at that site and then oxidation will be minimal. Mounting the rotor and putting the wheels on the bike with also "cover" the exposed magnesium and dramatically limit the oxidation. Best Wishes Brad.

Reactions: Zebra

·
Registered
72 Posts
Magnesium is one of the more reactive metals. The corrosion in the photos is minor and may come come off with a light brushing. Bronze or nylon bristles--no steel. If you feel an abrasive is needed, clean it very well afterwards with a clean cloth and solvent. No paint on the flange where the brakes or sprocket meet. A little film of grease is ok.

Deep corrosion in high stress areas (spokes, hub flanges) is a cause for concern. What the photos show is not deep corrosion.

Reactions: Zebra and moto

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and info! I greatly appreciate 'em!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts