Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 748S, 14k miles
just completed an oil change.
ride the bike for 3 hours and then the low oil pressure light comes on and stays on.
correct oil level, no visible leaks, engine runs great

I tried 2 brand new pressure sensors, no better.

Should I have it trailered to the Duc shop?

Thanks.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Does the oil level go down in the sight glass after you start the engine?

Which oil filter did you use?

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the oil level goes UP when I start the engine. I used whatever filter the ducati dealer gave me...does it matter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I were you I would check the oil pressure using some gauge just to be sure. On my 996 the oil pressure warning light came up while the bike was idling , when I rev it the pressure was ok . This was caused by faulty oil pump. But If you haven't this problem before oil change it's probably not the oil pump issue. Just to be sure measure the oil pump presure

·
Registered
25 Posts
If there will be low pressure after you measure it with a gauge the problem may be the stuck relief valve in oil pump , becouse as you said when you start the engine the oil level goes up , but it should go down

·
Registered
185 Posts
what weight oil do you use? does the light go away when you rev it or is it only on hot at idle? if its on all the time and you tried dif sensors-stop running it and take it to the shop

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can buy an oil pressure test gauge for less than the minimum shop labor cost, that tool will go a long way in diagnosing this problem.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
the oil level goes UP when I start the engine. I used whatever filter the ducati dealer gave me...does it matter?
As was noted, the oil level should go down. Could it be a bad backflow valve in the filter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts