Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just purchased a 95 Monster 900. The seller showed me all the paper work from a recent engin rebuild, with new high performance pistons, a dyno test, clutch work, oil, plugs, battery........ He said the bike was great, no problems he knows of, and he had to get rid of it because he has a child.

I want to know if this is normal for this year bike, It starts OK and idles good, but when I am riding it between 3-4k rpms it seems to jolt and stutter a bit. It seems to even out at 5k RPM, and it is especally noticeable when I am holding the throttle at a constant, and I can fell slight jerking, almost like a rough ride.

What RPM should I be cruzing at? Is this normal for this year bike? THis is my first Duc, I am use to Jap bikes that seem to run smoother. Did I get Ripped off????

Someone please help ease my fears... I am new to this forum.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was I dupped?

So I am guessing this is not normal for a Duc??????

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know older ducs?

Can anyone weigh in on this? This bike idels good but seems to run rough at anything above idel. I am assuming this is not normal. Does anyone have experence on 95-97 bikes?

·
Registered
438 Posts
welcome to the family

The stuttering you feel is normal. I have a 96 900 monster and it does the same thing. I think its because of the racing heritage Ducs don't like going slow. In town you should be able to drive in third gear at four thousand rpm at about forty mph. The bike should be smooth at that point.

So what are the dino readings for your bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, welcome to the Ducatisti!
Sounds like a fuel related problem to me, it's a carbed bike so I'd take it to my nearest Duc dealer and take a look at it. You'll probably spend a couple hundred bucks, but the payoff is amazing!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Very common on the 2 valve ducatis.
I think checking the fueling and getting dyna coils might help, however personally it doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stuttering you feel is normal. I have a 96 900 monster and it does the same thing. I think its because of the racing heritage Ducs don't like going slow. In town you should be able to drive in third gear at four thousand rpm at about forty mph. The bike should be smooth at that point.

So what are the dino readings for your bike?
The bike dinoed out at 77.4 hp. Fast by Ferracci did the work, and the sheet says it has stage 2 jet kit, and ferracci slip ons, high comp pistons, and heavy duty studs. Does anyone know what that means (anything more than the obvious)?

The dino says the peak HP is developed at 7k RPMs. What does that mean for my shifting? What is the best RPMs to shif at? I have been shifting between 5-7k.

I had someone come by and ride it this morning who know ducs, and he said it was fine. I am use to rice burners. I have to keep it above 4k rpm's. I still think first gear is rough getting up to 3-4k, but I will have a mechinic ride it soon.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There has been discussions on this forum about this problem. Do a search and see what others have said. I've heard of changing out the carbs for bigger ones, jetting,some people change the sprocket. The list goes on and on.

Wow 77 hp. That sounds about right. Some day i will put mine on a dyno i hope i get around that.

If your mechanic can solve the stuttering please share with all of us.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

There has been discussions on this forum about this problem. Do a search and see what others have said. I've heard of changing out the carbs for bigger ones, jetting,some people change the sprocket. The list goes on and on.

Wow 77 hp. That sounds about right. Some day i will put mine on a dyno i hope i get around that.

If your mechanic can solve the stuttering please share with all of us.
Thanks Kory, I am just going to ride it. Do you think it will do any damage if I just keep riding it?

·
Registered
733 Posts
The engines are like large single cylinder dirt bikes and get snatchy at low revs. I have a 900SS with dyna coils and FCR carbs (a lot of anyone's money) and it's OK at about 3000rpms but if I'm in too high a gear it does thump along a bit. These engines don't like low revs and will chug like a train - mine is fine by 4000 and will rev out cleanly to 8.

Most lower the gearing (smaller front/bigger rear sprocket) so the revs are easier to keep up a bit and will help a lot when you need to go very slow in 1st gear. IF your chain and both sprockets are fine you can do it cheaply by just buying a 14 tooth front sprocket. But I am "one of those" that prefer to run a 15 tooth front and a bigger rear when I need a new chain. The gearing change is one tooth down on the front is roughly the same as adding 3 to the rear.

The monster and SS carb 900 are pretty much the same so any results you get from a search can be applied to both.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The engines are like large single cylinder dirt bikes and get snatchy at low revs. I have a 900SS with dyna coils and FCR carbs (a lot of anyone's money) and it's OK at about 3000rpms but if I'm in too high a gear it does thump along a bit. These engines don't like low revs and will chug like a train - mine is fine by 4000 and will rev out cleanly to 8.

Most lower the gearing (smaller front/bigger rear sprocket) so the revs are easier to keep up a bit and will help a lot when you need to go very slow in 1st gear. IF your chain and both sprockets are fine you can do it cheaply by just buying a 14 tooth front sprocket. But I am "one of those" that prefer to run a 15 tooth front and a bigger rear when I need a new chain. The gearing change is one tooth down on the front is roughly the same as adding 3 to the rear.

The monster and SS carb 900 are pretty much the same so any results you get from a search can be applied to both.

Thanks tassiedave,

Mattel i think this sums up the chugging very well. Take the bike out and ride it like you stole it. Keep the revs up and have a good time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Either the needles in the carbs are set wrong or they wore out groves in the pilot jets. A lot of jet kits use stainless needles and people either don't replae the pilot jets and leave the brass ones....two diff metals with two diff hardnesses don't mix well. Take apart, look and see, take a paper clip and drag and see if you feel a grove. This is NOT a Ducati thing and your bike should run absolutely smooth at any RPM. One way or another your carbs and/or jet kit is at foult. Rebuild or get diff carbs or get a bike with EFI (way better and easier to tune).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts