Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a Ducati fan for a while, rode a few before... and really loved 'em. Never bought one though as I had an R1 and well I want one now because I think they are simply beautiful bikes and overall better bikes. I'm looking at either the 749R or 999R, I think. I do not race, but I might start taking it to a track at some point later on. Mainly, there's a lot of good roads to ride out in the country where I live, be it long straights or twisties. I know I probably won't ever max out either machine, but is the 999r much more powerful? I will do my best to try out them out before, but hard since 999R has to be ordered, not sure of the 749R? Mainly, I'm just looking for everyones imput, just some information to ponder.

Also, how do the 749R compare to the 999/S? As my good friend is getting one with me and he's deciding between those. Thanks for your time and sorry if I asked a lot :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would suggest to get a 999s or 999r, not much difference in the two, the r being lighter and has a little more power but both are good bikes, as far as your friend there is a big dirrerence between a 749r and a 999s, I have a 999s and on the track a 999s is everything I could ever want or need. You minght want to consider a 998, they are very nice and they don't have the rocker problems that the 996 have.Just my opinion

·
Registered
263 Posts
Monster S4RS... that bike is teh badass... :D

All the power and goodies but much more comfortable. I'm trying to talk myself into buying one...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
749r or a 999r?

I have a 2004 999r and love it. I have put a bunch of bucks into it to make it all it can be without getting into serious engine work that would decrease
reliability. It is a joy to ride and does not have any bad engine issues like peakiness. There is lots of grunt off the bottom with the stock flywheel but I installed a Nichols light weight flywheel so it is a little different on the bottom
of the power curve now. Power now comes on at 5K instead of 6K. It is a little crankey below the 5K mark now, it likes to run more now not walk.
As to the bike for you think about what you really want and not what you
need. You could get a 749r and be happy as a clam with it or always be regretting you did not get the 999r or the other way around. I am just taking for granted that you are a guy and being a guy we all want the biggest, the best what have you.
Expect to spend more money on goodies no matter what bike you end up with so price might be a factor. At 30K+ a 999r is a bunch of money for a
motorcycle, a 749r I am thinking is a lot less. Will you end up getting the 749r
and try to make it into a 999r by pouring tons of money into it later on?
You will save a lot of time and agravation by getting the 999r now.
I beleive the 749r is lighter and has the adjustable triple clamps stock that the 999r does not come with, nice feature.
Get all of the information you can get and write it down, then compare the two side by side. Make your choice and don't look back. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure the 999R is lighter, but don't know about the triple clamps. Eventually, I would put a slipper clutch on the 999R and a LeoVince exhaust, does that 57/60 fit the '06? Money is isn't really the issue, it's more of the sticker shock, seems like so much for a bike. More opinions are welcome :) Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts