Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ECU experts out there: can you help me identify my ECU and map? I bought my 2007 1098 from the first owner several years ago, never has run 100% correctly. Would like to know the exact ECU and map my bike has. I'll attach a photo of my bike's ECU; the sticker on it has another smaller sticker overlaid with a USA-type code on it. Would LOVE to know what I've got! Also, the dash reads, "1098 Racing EVO" on startup.

I'm considering getting TuneECU to possibly remap if needed. My bike has a full-race, large-bore Leo Vince SBK exhaust, with no exhaust valve. I suspect the bike has the wrong map--very hesitant to start and run when cold, then will possibly die at clutch-in-to-stop until very warm. I do have Scan M5X and plan to reset the TPS as soon as my ELM 327 arrives..

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
If you peel the sticker with the "PBA number" the model of the ECU will be underneath. It won't tell you what map is inside. Especially now-a-days...so easy for people to flash in a new map.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you peel the sticker with the "PBA number" the model of the ECU will be underneath. It won't tell you what map is inside. Especially now-a-days...so easy for people to flash in a new map.
Thank you. So the code on the sticker has no significance? What does my dash message "1098 racing evo" mean?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I peeled mine off and stuck it on the side. Sorry, can't help you with the dash display. Someone else will chime in soon enough.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
that number is oem. a red/white sticker is dp, as is a number starting with 965xxxxxxx.

if it says racing on the dash it has been flashed. possibly never had a tps reset done afterwards or idle mixture set.

get some diagnostic software and read what the ecu software numbers are. that will tell us.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So it's not unusual to have that SBA sticker on an American Ducati 1098 ECU? They all have it then?

I do have Scan M5X, ELM 327 and the Fiat 3-pin cable, was going to do several things today, but my ELM 327 is dead--not connecting to phone, so, I ordered a new one.

When that arrives next week, I'll dive back in. Indeed I want to get TPS reset at the very least. I wonder if Scan M5X will really read my ECU software numbers? Would be cool.

Would TuneECU be of any use to me? It seems that's the way to go if you want to send a new map to the ECU, not ScanM5X. Is this true? Seems I also need a hardwire connection from phone to ECU, would need to buy that cable. But, since my dash displays the racing EVO map message, I suspect the current map matches my full exhaust--just probably either have a TPS, CO or throttle balance issue. Maybe even valve timing. ??

But first things first. I'll reset my TPS and see if that solves my cold start/running issues. Would welcome any wisdom regarding these issues if anybody wants to chime in!

Thanks again to all,
Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A quick Google search for SBA7LN32 shows that it is the common part # for NA Ducati 1098s. So, no surprise there. Apparently I don't have the DP ECU. Just a flashed OE one.

Would love to know the difference between a DP ECU and a flashed OE one. Can they both hold the same fuel mapping and therefore be equal to each other? In other words, is my "1098 racing EVO" map the same one found in the DP ECU?

Greg

·
Registered
570 Posts
Standard and DP ECUs are the same. Only software difference. Said that it is two different versions of the 5AM ECU. HW610 and another one that i have never seen. HW103 from memory. I am sure that Brad can correct me if i am wrong.

You can not mix them 610 map to 610 ECU and 103 map to 103 ECU. If you try it will go bad.

Jocke

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Standard and DP ECUs are the same. Only software difference. Said that it is two different versions of the 5AM ECU. HW610 and another one that i have never seen. HW103 from memory. I am sure that Brad can correct me if i am wrong.

You can not mix them 610 map to 610 ECU and 103 map to 103 ECU. If you try it will go bad.

Jocke

Great info thanks. I'll find out and post here.. Is the type number under the sticker or will I have to remove the ecu to see it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
BA7LN32 is part of the software number that IS or WAS loaded on the ECU from the factory, I think this number is the original 1098 software for the US models. All ECUs on the 1098 bikes are Magneti Marelli IAW5AM but of course there are different revisions, I've only seen HW610. To find out which software that is actually loaded on your ECU and which ECU is it use IAW5xReader (see Guzzi Diag homepage), it will write that info in a txt-file.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BA7LN32 is part of the software that IS or WAS loaded on the ECU from the factory, I think this number is the original 1098 software for the US models. All ECUs on the 1098 bikes are Magneti Marelli IAW5AM but of course there are different revisions, I've only seen HW610. To find out which software that is actually loaded on your ECU and which ECU is it use IAW5xReader (see Guzzi Diag homepage), it will write that info in a txt-file.
Great info as well thank u! I've got ScanM5X, will that grab the software version? My ELM 327 broke so I'm awaiting a new one, then I'm jumping in with that one..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately I have no experience with ScanST or M5X.

·
Registered
570 Posts
For reading and flashing the ECU i would use IAW diag, reader and writer. I am sure that the mobile software is ok but trust a computer more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to update the thread with my findings. Good news, I reset the TPS with Scan M5X, did the trick! Now I don't need to twist the throttle so much at startup to get the engine to catch. Of course, I've learned to leave the key in "position 1" for about 20-30 secs to get the fuel primed for easier starting..

After a test run, I can conclude that my 'dying with clutch in" and "hard start" issues seem to have been solved. I highly recommend resting TPS before attempting more complex and involving procedures.

Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts