Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
So this is what I found underneath. Unidentified slipper clutch. No ball-bearing ramp type. Any ideas?

That looks like the OEM slipper... I can go grab my old one and do a part for part comparison if you need absolute confirmation. Regardless... it has a spider spring. :rolleyes:

I can only speak for myself, but after replacing those on numerous occasions due to cracking exactly as seen above, I swore off forever any slipper whose action was based on one of these, and replaced the OEM slipper with a beautiful NCR unit. It cost an arm and a leg, but was well worth it in regards to performance and durability.

"Friends don't let friends ride on spider spring based slipper clutches..."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It is a slipper from an R bike. They came fitted as a standard part. Spider springs break with monotonous regularity, buy half a dozen as spares. Very important to keep the ramps lubed with MOLLY grease. NEVER use any other type of lube. And unfortunately they have to be lubed often. This is just me but on a ball and ramp type I never use lube because grease, clutch dust and road grime make a great grinding paste.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Morning Proph. Yep. The ncr/evo style clutch is a beautiful piece of work but I like the simplicity of the ball and ramp type. I consider the spider a service item and buy them by the dozen. It’s only a 5 minute inspection and replace time.
Love those minimalist foot pegs:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts