Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help identifying a couple wiring endpoints from a 2012 848 evo. I had an off that removed much of my cowling for me (the rest I did myself) and I have some wires that terminate in the cowl near the dashboard that I'm trying to identify. I'm mostly curious about the rectangular connector with three connection points (shown in the picture nearest my fingertips).
The other mess is several - maybe six - wires coming out of a common protective sheath with three wires connecting to a rectangular endplate with three copper contacts.
Does anyone know what each of these wires or endpoints are?
I'm rebuilding the bike as a track bike so some may not be necessary (but I'd love to know which ones are that might prevent the bike from starting, running well, or throwing codes to the ECU, etc)
Your help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Wiring diagram

I just downloaded the owners manual to get the wiring diagram and legend as attached.

I downloaded from here.
https://ownersmanuals2.com/ducati/superbike-848-evo-2012-owners-manual-70927

Bearing in mind that diagrams are electrical schematics and don't always reflect the actual wiring and connectors.

In the image with the two orange wires and the white, my guess that goes to #43 which is the lighting relay.
I can't really tell what the other colours are, but if you look at the diagram you should be able to work out where they go and if the are important.
With respect to the lighting I guess that will not be necessary for a track bike unless you plan on a 24 hour race.:laugh:

The other three pin connector - have a look at the wire colours. My guess is that it is #41, the finish line sensor. Is there a lap timer in the 848?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved...

Thanks Punch. The wiring diagram with the wire colors helped a lot. I think you were correct on on the light relay (orange/orange/white) but I think the three pin connector is for the headlight (white/black/yellow-black) #45. Now I just have to figure out what the loose wires are... (green, white-black, yellow-black)
Thanks again,

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Check at #38 - they are there.
Yellow black and white black are not important for the track.

Green would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved / Not solved

So I think I reasoned out what the function of the group of wires with the small endplate attached to the orange and white wires is/was. It connected to the turn signal / headlight / horn instrument 'pod' on the left clip on. The small endplate was a relay for the turn signals. I discovered this when I cleaned up the mess of wires by clipping the ends of exposed wire and wrapping them in electrical tape. I inadvertently caused the orange and white wire attached to the endplate to short causing a permanently creating a right turn signal. When the plastic housing was torn off in the crash it exposed all of the wires.
Thanks for all the help. Over and out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts