Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Went to start my 06 SC1000, bike boots up, then when I hit the button, I get a click and nothing... I changed my battery today to a new AntiGravity, reads 13.6 volts. Hook up battery and same click.

What do I test next and how to bypass the solenoid to test starter ??

Confused in CT

Thanks

Jan

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Hello all,
Went to start my 06 SC1000, bike boots up, then when I hit the button, I get a click and nothing... I changed my battery today to a new AntiGravity, reads 13.6 volts. Hook up battery and same click.

Confused in CT

Thanks

Jan
Check & clean all connections at:

Starter switch

Solenoid

Starter

Engine ground

Battery positive

Battery ground

Computer ground

Muzz

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like not enough juice to the starter. I second muzz. check your terminals. check the ground connection. check the main connection to the starter. also you can try pushing the bike when its in gear. it may be the teeth on the flywheel and starter arent meshing correctly. roll the bike with the clutch in and then release the clutch quickly.

Hello all,

Confused in CT

Thanks

Jan

·
Registered
165 Posts
I second air_cooled_nut's point....in one particular instance that lasted a few days (week?) I didn't notice I had changed the way I was getting off the bike and accidentally bumping the kill switch, leaving me super confused the next morning when trying to ride to work! Doh!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys , thanks, and not to sound like a complete novice, but where on the bike is the main ground and the main starter / solenoid, I'm used to 1960/70's bikes and am lost looking at this thing !!

PS, checked the kill switch, that is something I would totally do :) but all is OK

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's happened before so it requires mentioning: Is your KILL switch in the correct position?

You bring back terrible memories Nut!

You may want to replace the RR. Mine torched the seat pan without warning. Didn't think it was going to happen to me. It is not a question of if but when.

Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked few things, where are the grounds...

hello all, I found and checked the starter cable, the solenoid, the battery and cleaned all 4 connections... where are the grounds located? also, here is a picture of my R/R, the yellow wires are browning but not sure if this would cause the click? (bad R/R) any help is really appreciated.. I so wanted to ride today !!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU everyone !! she is running

Hello all,
Well after just hunkering down and looking for every connection possible and cleaning every connection, turns out it was the MAIN ground after all.

Thanks everyone !

Jan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
result of no start click, a bad ground

I was in a hurry to go ride, just came back and wanted to share what I did:

I Followed the advice posted and checked each connection, trying to start the bike after I cleaned each connection (each step), following these steps:

1 - checked and cleaned battery connections (installed a AntiGravity 12
cell 360cca battery) - seems like a GREAT battery
2 - starter cable - this is the front bottom of bike, it was VERY dirty and
corroded due to road exposure, cleaned and tightened, put rubber boot back
3 - checked starter coil, located mid bike under tank on frame post. Removed
rubber holder, cleaned both connections, they were slightly corroded.
4 - checked all connections under seat, including fuses

5 - grounds: I know there are three or four, ECU ground looked good
Then traced off negative battery cable where the ground goes
and it goes into the engine case, and in my case right next to
the Zard exhaust, once I put a wrench on the nut, it moved
very easily (first hint, it was loose). Removed screw and it was
very dirty, corroded and thus hint 2).

After cleaning and re-attaching main ground, the bike fired right up. Thus a trip to the dealer and at least $200 saved, mainly thanks to this forum and some beers and some patience.

Jan

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yeay! That's what I like to hear, an owner doing their own trouble-shooting and fixing it. Definitely saved yourself some money doing this yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Hello all,
Well after just hunkering down and looking for every connection possible and cleaning every connection, turns out it was the MAIN ground after all.

Thanks everyone !

Jan
Circuit grounds (or lack thereof) are the cause of most electrical problems. I was initially gonna suggest you just check the main ground however when I noticed your bike is an 06 ......I felt it better to go thru em all ...and it's a good thing you did !

Your being patient & meticulous (even in the face of chomping at the bit to go riding ) is what solved the problem.

Good on you bro !

Muzz

·
Registered
724 Posts
Cigars & Beer can fix anything... GOOD JOB BRO! Now go ride!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats!! Figured it was the ground right next to the rear brake res. Also, after looking at pics of that RR, I agree with others. Get that replaced ASAP! Browning indicates overheating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a similar problem

My 2006 PS doesn't start. I read this and the other threads and most people were just get a "click", but when I hit the start button. I am getting half a crank each time, but that's it. The R/R was replaced last year and is well ventilated. Stays cold even after a long ride. I also replaced the battery last year and am getting 12.8v with the terminals disconnected and 12.4v with the key on.

My Kawasaki is in the shop for the same issue and the mechanic after ruling out all the likely culprits is telling me it is the starter. Seems likely on a 30 year old bike, but unlikely on a 6 year old bike. In the 30 years i have been riding, i have never had this problem and now it is happening on both my bikes:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ping

·
Registered
173 Posts
Man I just went through this and it turned out it was the fuse between the battery and the charger connector. It's a #3 fuse. Replaced it and problem solved. Just thought I'd throw that out there for future searchers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got it started

checked all the fuses and connections and they were fine. I didn't think that was the issue since i was getting half a crank.

I then turned the motor over once manually by push starting it. After that I hit the start button and it fired right up:D

Now i am worried... does this mean the starter is about to give out?:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts