Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im was doing the 7500 mile service to my bike, and I forgot to see where the dots on the pulleys where.

Old Ducs had the connecting dots so you could install you belt pertfectly.

But I cant find the dots any where in my cylinders so I dont know in what position the pulleys should be when installing the belt.

Any one?

Here are pictures, coul some one please show me in what position the dots should be?.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
when each cylinder is at tdc firing the T shaped grooves in the end of the cams have the bottom leg of the T facing away from the crank. i think. i'll have a look at my tools on wed. tdc firing on the horizontal is when the dot on the timing shaft lines up with the groove on the primary drive cover. TDC firing on the vertical is when the dot is at 3 o'clock.

try that anyway and turn it over very gently to see if it stops.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
damn... So how do I know in what position they should go now?
Its easy to find TDC, but the cam markings arn't as accurate as Brad says they are. I've done a bunch of testastretta's and not all of them have the markings in the same place. Usually there is yellow paint that is tapped onto them that are the actual markings, the dots are sometimes wrong.

I guess you can go with what brad said and try it, you might be lucky. :confused:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
In the testa's It's simple. I'm not sure is the 1098's are the same but this is how I do it. Align the drive pulley mark to the casing mark. That puts the horizontal cylinder at TDC. Them use a little bright colored paint and mark each cam pulley on the outside edge right at the top of the head (the gasket surface). That will give you the base setup when you want to put everything back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its easy to find TDC, but the cam markings arn't as accurate as Brad says they are. I've done a bunch of testastretta's and not all of them have the markings in the same place. Usually there is yellow paint that is tapped onto them that are the actual markings, the dots are sometimes wrong.

I guess you can go with what brad said and try it, you might be lucky. :confused:
its not so much that they're wrong as it is they aren't usually used properly. Theoretically your supposed to use Ducatis cam locking tools to lock the cams in place and loosen the 3 bolts on each gear and rotate them counterclockwise when installing the belts so that when you tension the belt, everything is locked in place but the gears are able to move so the tension is spread over the entire length of the belt without changing the cam timing. Doing it that way will change the position of the dots so you can't go by those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would you be kind enough to show me in the picture? I really dont want to mess this up, all my close ducati stores are out of this tool... Basically this forum is my only hope. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts