Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had good luck bleeding the clutch hydrailics doing it like this:

1. Fill the reservoir.
2. Connect a hose to the nipple and dangle it into a catch can.
3. Pull the lever (don't pump it) and open the bleeder at the slave.
4. Holding the lever to the bar, close the bleeder.
5. Release the lever.

Repeat 3-5 until there's no more air in the system. Don't let the fluid level get too low in the reservoir or you'll have to start over. Re-fill the reservoir as required.

The first five to six tries will feel like there's nothing being forced through the system. You should start getting fluid at the bleeder soon afterwards.

I tried the pump...pump...pump...open the bleeder...close the bleeder...pump...pump...pump...repeat...routine with little or no success. It works on the brake hydraulics, but does nothing for the clutch.

Don't know about the o-ring thing.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've got an Evoluzione slave, which is great but it did take a lot of bleeding after fitting. I've recently fitted 'speedbleeders' and changed the brake & clutch fluids - it is so much easier to change fluids without constantly having to close the bleeder every pump, from now on I'll be fitting speedbleeders to any bike I own...... :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi, I have one on my 998. I picked up some heavy duty clutch springs and the forearms were getting a bloody good work out...

Purchased the MPL Slave Cylinder, best thing I ever done.

So now have MPL Pressure PLate as well as MPL Alloy Basket with Titanium finger inserts for the aluminium friction plate tabs to run on. Havent installed the basket just yet but will be doing in the next couple of weeks.
I do recommend the MPL Cylinder, it is exactly as they advertised. Great to deal with with no bullshit.

As for bleeding the cyclinder, easy as, can buy a bleed kit from an automotive store for about $5. Key is (as with all hydraulics) is to make sure that all ability to suck air is covered with fluid. When you pump the clutch and go to bleed at the slave end, make sure the pipe is in a reservoir of fluid and keep on topping up the Main Reservoir.
It did take a little time bleed on my 998 but well worth it..

The only other thing is that the slave piston oring could have been pinched or rolled when installed. Again no big deal, disassemble and go to local hydraulics store, they should be able to replace.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
I had one on my 2000 Duc. Worked great. The kit comes with a small cylindrical insert that goes onto the piston for Ducs with shorter push rods; I think any older than 2002 or so may need this for the piston to contact the rod. Not sure about the 916.

pg

Paul Geller
Ducati Designs, LLC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thanks for all the response guys. Well, here is were I'm at, Yes I was bleeding it like a brake system, (pump pump hold, crack the bleeder, tighten, release, repeat) I see now that I was wrong. I have a 1996 916 so I had already inserted the aluminum/o-ring piece in the slave cylinder. Question- " The two o-rings that come with the kit (fat and skinny one) Was I right when I put it thru the piston rod and installed the cylinder up against it? I used (guessed) the fat one. Am I on the right track with this part of the install atleast?"

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey REDDUC, I have slave that looks very similar [probably identical]

1] yes, the O-ring goes between the slave and the engine block. It is solely to keep chain grease/grit/etc from getting into the bore.

2] I don't believe you need the spacer for your 916. I had a '98-748, and it was a "long pushrod". My '99-750SS, however, is a "short pushrod" and required the spacer.
When I put the slave on my 750 I used the "fat" O-ring.

I bled mine with a Mighty Vac and had no trouble.

I'll see if I can find Kelvin's [Norton SP, the manufacturer I believe] instruction sheet if it would help. Let me know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bled the clutch like Paulo57509 said and it worked like a charm. I did not start the bike up to test it (neighbors might bitch cause its late), but the pull tension at the lever feels great. Thanks for the help!

T

·
0 Posts
hi guys, what is the clutch slave for? anything to do wif improving horsepower or better clutch feeling?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts