Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started the other day on the highway, no cars in front of me or a cloud in the sky and i feel drips of water coming up from my "Water Tank" as referred to in the owners manual i immediately pulled off to see if anything was wrong blown line ect btw those quarter turns are life savers! nothing scarier than being on the side of the road taking fairings off haha

No leaks coming from any of the hoses or connections.
the leakage was minimal, and seemed to stop when i got off the highway and stopped until last night when i was out with some friends

Temp is not affected, but we still took most of the top off to try and expose the tank to see if there was any cracks, as far as we could tell there was no cracks we itghtened the feed lines and return lines our only conclusion was it may be the "filler" where the 2 screws go into the plastic. at the base there must be a grommet or something thats broken but we cannot figure out how that tank comes out of there! any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Most 916/748/996/998 owners have suffered the 'leaky tank' - I'm on my 4th.

The leak is usually on the seam and very small that only shows up at high temp/pressure.

The cure is a new tank, they're not particularly expensive.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It's a PITA as you need to take off; tank, airbox, steering damper & ignition lock but it's straightforward, just time consuming (even worse if you have an EVR airbox!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just ordered a new tank i cant stand not riding im having it sent over night should i be ok to ride til then as long as i take it easy?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
just ordered a new tank i cant stand not riding im having it sent over night should i be ok to ride til then as long as i take it easy?
Not a great idea...

You can pull the tank out and check the fitting and cap, which has a valve in it. Most likely, there is a crack somewhere and if you're good with epoxy, you should be able to clean that up in a jiffy.

In terms of what makes these tanks fail... Pressure builds up in the box and has nowhere to go, so it expands it. There is a pressure relief valve, but they easily get worn out and don't open to release pressure. Ya just gotta maintain the pressure relief cap, keep the box loose in the frame so it has nothing to expand against and of course, make sure your motor isn't over heating. Sometimes the gauge says one thing, but what's is actually happening is something entirely different. Its way better to keep the motors cooler then run them at 220+ degree's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey.....I just had the, same problem....my leak was coming from the filler neck. If you take the 2 allen bolts out you will notice a O-ring on the bottom portion. Mine was bad. It would only leak once the bike got hot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey.....I just had the, same problem....my leak was coming from the filler neck. If you take the 2 allen bolts out you will notice a O-ring on the bottom portion. Mine was bad. It would only leak once the bike got hot.

plus do not over tighten the bolts. If these bolts gets over tightened, the metal piece where it bolts to can lift from the tank once you put the filler in it does not sit on the tank properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy crap what a process i did what was said and it was a crack right in the mold! my new tank should be here tomorrow ill let everyone know how it goes thanks to all of those that replied!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts