Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I may/will be coming to Canada to work for 2 months..

So, a question about ordering stuff from the US to CAN, will there be any taxes etc?

At the moment a lot of the questions are still open (dates, destinations, though Toronto has been mentioned quite a few times.. etc.)

I will try to remember to update this thread, when I have more info. Any hints, tips and so on would be greatly appreciated. PM's are fine too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
490 Posts
there are no import duties into Canada for motorcycle parts , you only get charged GST ( googoods and services tax) and PST ( provincial sales Tax) which added together comes out to 13% . just make sure shipper notes on custom documention that items are motorcycle parts

·
Registered
349 Posts
What line of work are you in and when are you coming? The weather is finally turning to what it's supposed to be. I;ve spent yesterday and today on my bike (finally). What part of Toronto are you staying in?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Also watch out for brokerage fees. I have heard horror stories of people paying $30 brokerage fees on top of a $20 item. I think if you set up an account with UPS, it will be cheaper, but you should inquire. The alternative. if you are coming to the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is to have your items shipped to Niagara Falls (USA) and ride/drive down to pick them up yourself. The place I use is cbiusa.com. The only catch with these guys is they're only open M-F 9-5 and Sat 9-noon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ups Scam

FFS is correct about brokerage fees, but only if you use UPS. The scam is that UPS charges brokerage fees to take anything across the border from the US to Canada. They charge a brokerage fee based on a minimum and then up depending on the item. Plus, you always have to pay GST when they bring it across the border. Other shippers, every other shipper in fact, ships cross border without any brokerage fees on shipped goods, and GST is the luck of the draw as to whether it gets stopped and tagged at the border. I have bought about a hundred items from the US and had them shipped to Canada in the last two years. About five of them have come UPS despite my efforts to the contrary. All five came with GST and "brokerage fees" payable at my door of between $14-28. Of the remaining 95 or so items, only a half dozen or so ever got charged GST, and never a brokerage fee. That applies for Fedex, USPS, Canada Post, or whomever. You agree to a shipping fee with your vendor (who gets a quote from UPS) and then you pay your vendor in advance, and then the package arrives with fees owing at your door. If you refuse to pay, they won't leave the package.

Its too bad UPS is doing so poorly that they have to devise a system to create extra fees for extra work when none of it is necessary. Shame. Do not use UPS.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Buy anything you need before you get here rather then having it shipped across. My experience has been that BOTH UPS and FedEx have horrible broker fees. Only USPS is slightly better but many places will only ship UPS. It's just kind of not worth it most of the time.

A good shop for gear in Toronto is Rider's Choice. For motorcycle parts? Dunno, I haven't had to buy any.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A good shop for gear in Toronto is Rider's Choice. For motorcycle parts? Dunno, I haven't had to buy any.
John's a decent enough guy; a little elitist but a good guy.

I miss 55degreez. That place was awesome; great gear, great service and great people.

TopEndz has some decent kit in his place; he runs it out of his basement but he's got some nice stuff. You'll need to make an appt.

GPBikes in Ajax and Toronto Ducati (Rev Cycles) are the only Ducati shops I'm aware of around Toronto. Jamie, who used to run 55degreez, now works at GPBikes - so you'll be able to get some good service from him there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts