Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for your help. I bought my 08 GT last year used with the Termi's already installed. I have been enjoying the ride - it is a great bike. However, I have been frustrated with decel popping. The dealership adjusted the ECU as best they could (so they said).

I decided to try the Fat Duc O2 sensor manipulator after reading about it on the forum. Got it from Custom Sport Classics today. I went to trace the electrical from where I thought the O2 sensor should be. I can't find it. Where I think it should be is plugged with a bolt. I couldn't find any electrical going to the header. I am attaching a picture of where I thought it should be.

I don't know much about engines - is it possible that I am running without an O2 sensor? It that a problem? What are the issues? Do I need to get one?

Thanks
Irideducs

I couldn't get a jpg or a Gif to upload (even though the file size was 600K) don't know what I am doing wrong, but hopefully you can help without a pic.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
you couldn't find an 02 sensor because you shouldn't have one...

the termi's come with the Ducati Performance ECU, which does not use the 02 sensor. the good news is that you can work with the DP ECU in a number of ways to adjust the air/fuel mixture. i'm surprised you were having lean running problems with that setup, as the DP ECU typically runs rich from what i've heard, so this sounds a bit fishy to me.

i suppose it's possible that the previous owner installed termis without the upgraded ECU, if they bought them used on ebay or something, but they usually come together.

i'd have your dealer check the part number on your ECU (it's under the seat - the rectangular bit of electronics all the way at the back with two big plugs coming into it right by the seat lock mechanism) and make sure it's a DP unit and then they should be able to flash/reset/adjust it to work with the termis.

the next step would be to get a power commander PCIII which is totally adjustable and allows your dealer to dial in the A/F mixture at all the different throttle openings and rpm ranges, giving you the best power/torque curve for your exhaust/intake setup.

oh, and your fatduc will not be useable without an 02 sensor and a closed loop (stock) ECU...

best of luck, and keep us posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Probably just needs the fuel trim adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing. Assuming you have the DP ECU that is. You should, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Mine was the same way when I got it. I took it to Erico Motorsports in Denver and they made it right. They used an exhaust gas analyzer and set the CO level at idle to 3 percent by adjusting the fuel trim a little richer. Runs great now, no popping.

Debby

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

In the immortal words of Roberto DeVincenzo - What a Stupid I am. Thanks for the clarification. I checked and yes I do have the correct ECU (I also have the stock ECU and Cans) so I shouldn't have an O2 sensor (Thanks GTRossi) and I will try Erico (Thanks Hyperducky) - I assumed that the local Ducati shop could fix the problem (they said it was as good as they could make it and recommended putting the DB killers back in (it doesn't pop on decel with them in). But I like to actually hear the engine.

Thanks again,
Irideducs

·
Registered
421 Posts
In the immortal words of Roberto DeVincenzo - What a Stupid I am. Thanks for the clarification. I checked and yes I do have the correct ECU (I also have the stock ECU and Cans) so I shouldn't have an O2 sensor (Thanks GTRossi) and I will try Erico (Thanks Hyperducky) - I assumed that the local Ducati shop could fix the problem (they said it was as good as they could make it and recommended putting the DB killers back in (it doesn't pop on decel with them in). But I like to actually hear the engine.

Thanks again,
Irideducs
My GT with the Termis, DP ECU, and no baffles doesn't pop on decel, so you should be able to adjust it out. Especially at your altitude, since it should run richer in that thin air.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
My termis w/o baffles and DP ECU popped slightly and idled low after being installed at my dealer. I took the bike back and they re-adjusted it. It now has no popping and idles perfect.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a friend that has just bought a GT.....I have lent her my FatDuc and it's worked a treat. She is considering getting the Termignoni system at $2400 AU$.
Does the termi system/ ECU fix the jerky throttle?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Both that and lowering the throttle help. I did both, and it's a lot better than either alone.

It's still a very sensitive throttle, compared to a carb bike, but not so "jerky" anymore.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a friend that has just bought a GT.....I have lent her my FatDuc and it's worked a treat. She is considering getting the Termignoni system at $2400 AU$.
Does the termi system/ ECU fix the jerky throttle?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Roger
Has the lash been adjusted out of the throttle? - For some reason these tend to come from the factory with about two and a half grip revolutions of throttle free play :D. Well maybe not that much, but at least 5mm.

Adjusting the lash tends to make the throttle less choppy.

Orrrr - Sell her your GT with the "fixed" throttle and get yourself an SC....:)

Greg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts