Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, haven't used bike for a couple of months (hypermotard 950sp) was ok when lastst used. Started today and engine warning light came on, dtc warning and engine revving Up and down continually to about 4k. No dealer's around to discuss this with. Any thoughts or help please thanks

·
Sophomore Member
2,586 Posts
Go ride it. Put some miles on it. Burn through a tank of gas and see if everything settles down.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Check your battery. Make sure it’s fully charged, the do a load test. I’ve had two bikes go nutty when batteries failed While being stored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, battery on optimate, so should be ok. Takes a few moments
Longer to start than usual. Get point about battery though, so may try linking with car battery. Guess the engine management will want resetting though. Live in Scotland and just had some good weather finally and somffustrated I can't go out on it. Not sure about riding it advice, don't want to cause any problems...

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
You think you are riding a motorcycle but in reality you are riding a a few computers held together my mechanical bits. Just like a home pc,mac,phone etc shutting it off and restarting will often re-boot without a problem.

If that does not help now start looking at hard parts. most likely culprit after storage is mice so look in the aixbox and exhaust system

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried leaving overnight and started today , no change. Will try disconnecting battery tomorrow for 10 mins to see if that helps. Have just connected different charger to check it's not a battery and charger issue. Good point about airbox, will check that too, although no obvious signs of rodent activity. Thought revving and engine and red dtc warning would point to a specific issue that someone else might have experienced...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So,. Battery is good, no rodent damage,. Disconnected battery, no change. I can't ride it as there is no throttle response. Revs continue to rise and fall yellow engine light and big red dtc warning. It's not even a year old, so will be under warranty, but can't get hold of any dealer's due to coronavirus. Do I need to change the title or where this is posted to get a better response?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
It probably is not your battery, but understand, my bikes are always on quality maintenance chargers, and I have had name brand batteries take a shit while connected to name brand maintenance chargers and still check above 12 v but cause crazy gauge issues and running issues. If I had done a load test I would have known the battery was bad in 5 minutes. I Did not believe my battery was bad. I did not do a load test. I screwed around with sensors and connections for a week. I was stupid for not checking the simple stuff first.

·
Sophomore Member
2,586 Posts
I misunderstood what the bike was doing. I thought the revs were hunting and seeking just on start up and then you shut it down. My Multi will do that to an extent if there has been a big temperature swing since last run.

If you aren’t getting any throttle response, it’s gone into limp mode. Sorry, but that bike is going to have to get connected up to the Ducati diagnostics computer (I.e. a dealer)

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I would get some documentation that you are trying to contact a dealer with no luck. Then contact Ducati customer service directly, let them know the situation and document everything. If something is failing and you want Ducati to fix/pay/replace it for free don't make things worse or they might deny a claim. If they give you a extended warranty date due to inability to work on it now that woould be better for you that doing something that would void your warranty now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your advice- finally got it to the dealer and fault codes included MAFF and TPS. Looks like throttle body wasn't completing it's full sweep ? Why no problems found- all back and took it for a spin yesterday running like a dream again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts