Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help! I am afraid that I fried my ECU and can't afford to go to Erico to by a new 1500$ Brain! I accidentally got water on it and now the fuel pump won't prime. I did a search and found some very awesome threads that walked me through the steps, you know, relays, bronco wire, kill switch, etc... Everything is looking good to go except that nothing happens! Does anyone have any other ideas? Ptrick, SeanFromTX, have been a great help in their search, but I need some more or I am out for the year! I live in the Parker Colorado so the more help the better!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do I look for? There is one for sale that is from a 97 916? Will that work? :confused:

·
Registered
523 Posts
SgtRock said:
What do I look for? There is one for sale that is from a 97 916? Will that work? :confused:

That ad says it will, but I can't imagine the mapping would be optimum... We'll keep our eyes out on the forums and net auctions and craigslist for someone parting out a 748... the real question is, is the 748S chip different?

I assume you've checked every fuse, the battery, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
The 748 and 748S run the same maps. If you find the right ECU with the wrong chip, pick it up. You can always find the proper chip later.

Tony

·
Registered
319 Posts
I recommend before dishing out the money for an ECU, you verify that your problem is your ECU.

You could have easily blown the fuel pump fuse if you got water in there. The fuse is located under the seat close to the relays. Check all of the fuses in that area.

If you have gotten water into the computer housing, disconnect your battery. It is best to disconnect the ground first so that you do not accidentally hit any metals on the frame with your wrench while trying to loosen the positive terminal. That will cause and arc and can short/damage some of the electrical components on your bike.

Have a look inside the side connector to your computer. If there is water in there blow it out with compressed air and use electrical contact cleaner to remove any residual moisture.

Remove the top bong from the computer box and blow compressed air into box. Let it dry completely before trying to reconnect it.

Remove both fuel pump relays. The stock fuel pump housing is supposed to have the water resistance accordion type shield to prevent water from getting into the relay or the contacts area. But it is still possible to get water in there if it has been exposed to a hose. Get yourself one of those basketball needles that is used to blow air into a basketball. You can move that needle between the two pieces of the relay and blow air into the relay without having to dismantle the relay. Also dry out the housing if wet.

This might help to isolate your problem further.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of the fuses are good and both relays are brand new. I have done checks from the 10 pin bronco to the 4 pin at the switch. Everything that I can think of is good. I washed this thing last sunday so it has to be dry by now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About the ECU. So you are saying that I can get any superbike ECU and have it remapped (748, 996, 998, 916)? I have the bike scheduled for it's 9k service next thursday so if I can get a line on a new ECU by then maybe they can remap it during service? Can you take a ECU out of the bike and have it checked by itself?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The ECU is not likely fried because of water on it. Maybe you got water in it? Was the rubber plug removed? The eeprom chip is located under the rubber plug. I have a 748s engine complete witht the ECU this was left over from my swapping to a 996 engine. Put up a deposit and I will send you the ecu with chip and you can check yours out. The problem however is most likely the fuel pump. I have had the pump stick and refuse to turn. easy check! pull the connector to the pump, turn on the key and see if you have power to the connector. If not, I would still suspect the other culprits. LIke switch on the side stand, neutral position switch. Either of these will cancel the fuel pump just like having the kill switch on. Speaking of Kill switch? email me [email protected]

·
Registered
174 Posts
SgtRock said:
All of the fuses are good and both relays are brand new. I have done checks from the 10 pin bronco to the 4 pin at the switch. Everything that I can think of is good. I washed this thing last sunday so it has to be dry by now!
Not so. These things can sometimes take many repeated dryings over weeks, before they're up again. I don't know the 748 ECU, but take whatever covers you can off, and use hair-dryer, sun and careful, don't overheat. As others have said, check everything else first, including wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good and bad news! I don't think that it is the ECU anymore!!! I tested everything again tonight and couldn't get the thing to work. So I put everything back together to take it down to Erico and just when I was looming up the wiring harness the fuel pump energized! I have know Idea what I did, but it worked for a bit and it sounded great, but when I shut it down to try it again, no luck. I had previous work done on the wiring harness by Erico and I think that the repair has failed. I will still be letting everything dry for the rest of the week, but I have a feeling that it was a badly repaired wire to blame! I'll keep you posted after Erico takes a look at it nest thursday! I would tackle the wiring harness myself, but I have know idea how to take it out of the sleeve without ruining it.

Thanks guys!!! :D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection or more likely something shorting to ground, which would be consistent with acting up after the washing. If so you did yourself a favor and discovered it now instead of on the road in the rain. You could check all connections and after disconnecting the battery to ground see if there's any continuity from your fuel pump hot lead to ground and any ground lead to ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts