Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a malfunction (brain fart) this weekend when hooking up the DucatiDiag cable to my 2006 749. Got distracted and reversed the leads. Bike runs, but is now not displaying water temp, fans are running continuously, and it gives me two error codes. 1.1 and 3.1 which are water temp sensor receiving power and TPS not functioning. Wondering if anyone else has made similar mistake. I was told there is a diode in the wiring harness that may be damaged or ECU replacement may be required, but before I go pulling the wiring harness apart or purchasing an ECU I wanted to check with the forum for assistance. Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
From JpDiag FAQ: JPDiag FAQ

Q: Is it safe to plug it to my bike

A: if you invert red and black croco you may destroy your ecu. Symptom are , err in temp sensor , and fan still on. TPS isnot working good too

To ensure your cable are working, always run testcable from JPDiag with your both cable connected to computer and battery , but not connected to diagnostic plug.

If test is successful, then connect cable to diagnose outlet , switch on ignition , and click on connect from JPDiag main window

Sorry, I don't know if there is a remedy short of ECU replacement, which is really what you asked. Except: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-streetfighter/138406-bricked-ecu-ducatidiag.html
Did you ever hook up the battery leads on the OBD adapter backward? It seems that if this is done, it will mess up the ECU. What I think happens is that the short burns up a circuit board track. Try grounding the ground pin of the diagnostic connector and see if it has any effect. It's been reported that this will allow the ECU to operate again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm...

So if I am reading this right, if I provide a ground for the ECU through the diagnostic plug wire the ECU will operate. Wonder if DucatiDiag will work if the only ground is being supplied through the diagnostic plug. Thanks for the info. Might be a temp fix while I look for a used ECU.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,263 Posts
Do a forum search. This has happened before to others and there is a ground jumper wire fix if you want to live long term with it. The only other solution is to replace the ECU.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ECU working

Well the grounding wire to the diagnostic plug allows the ECU to function normally. Bike is running fine. Only problem is that now cannot use JPDiag to adjust anything on the ECU. Appears that with the internal ECU ground failure, I cannot have the ECU functioning and the cables hooked up pulling data from the diagnostic plug. Anyone else that had this problem confirm this to be true? Looks like a temp fix and I will need to find a replacement 5AM ECU. Anyone have a stock one or race one already flashed for 749 laying around?
Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well the grounding wire to the diagnostic plug allows the ECU to function normally. Bike is running fine. Only problem is that now cannot use JPDiag to adjust anything on the ECU. Appears that with the internal ECU ground failure, I cannot have the ECU functioning and the cables hooked up pulling data from the diagnostic plug. Anyone else that had this problem confirm this to be true? Looks like a temp fix and I will need to find a replacement 5AM ECU. Anyone have a stock one or race one already flashed for 749 laying around?
Thanks. Mike
Was just wondering if you got this sorted out. I've been doing some frustrating work on my 749S. Finally got it running and I've been using TuneECU. When I was taking the cables off after resetting the TPS I accidently brushed the ground lead against the positive battery connector just enough to see a spark and now I have the same issue. Bike starts and fans are on all the time temp flashes dashes on the screen runs real rough so I guess I'm in the same situation. Where did you run the ground wire to? Did you go with this or get a new ECU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts