Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can't tell if it's spread in that pic, but.....

I can tell you that your ignition cylinder should NOT be touching the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Even if your the newest owner and its defective its still covered under the emission warranty.I believe for five years. Replace it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can tell you that your ignition cylinder should NOT be touching the tank.
I agree - the tank looks too close to the ignition which would suggest that its not sitting correctly in the brackets. Most likely caused by the spreading tank issue.

I bought my S1K used and had no problems with DNA shimming the brackets under warranty (which I prefered over a new tank). The tank is under warranty for 5 years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought my S1K used and had no problems with DNA shimming the brackets under warranty (which I prefered over a new tank). The tank is under warranty for 5 years.
I cringe when I hear 'shimming'....

·
Registered
245 Posts
I cringe when I hear 'shimming'....
Its worked well for me. I prefered shimming to a replacement tank because I know that tanks can develop bulges and dimples in the paint. Other than the spreading tank, my tank is perfect so I didn't want to risk getting a new tank that developed the other issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Its worked well for me. I prefered shimming to a replacement tank because I know that tanks can develop bulges and dimples in the paint. Other than the spreading tank, my tank is perfect so I didn't want to risk getting a new tank that developed the other issues.
The thing is, the tanks are shimmed (if needed) when assembled. So, if it needs more shims, the tank is expanding and should be replaced...IMHO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is, the tanks are shimmed (if needed) when assembled. So, if it needs more shims, the tank is expanding and should be replaced...IMHO
so even if it is spreading .... it seems like 1 out of 2 bikes have the problem and if it doesnt yet it will eventually if you live in a area with high ethanol content at the pump... I guess it is unavoidable if you like this bike, =( So for sure this issue is covered by warranty? I am going to pull the trigger then !!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Until Ducati comes out with a tank that won't spread, you might as well just shim because the replacement tank will just spread anyway.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My new tank (07 gt1000), replaced less then two months ago has already started to spread. I will continue to request a replacement until they get it right. If the paint or other issues occur on any of the replacements I'll go back. I purchased the bike new, paid the dealer and Ducati a very fair price (did not over-bargin) know that if I had issues I'd expect them resolved to new and defect free standards. Extra shims, bumbs, bulges and defects were not part of the deal. CT also has a lemon law. So if needed I'll execise that if that can't get this resolved.The dealer is very supportive, and I don't expect issue. I just hope Ducati gets out a plastic formula for the tanks so "new" tanks will not spread. I had heard it was in the works.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Shimmming has worked for one year on my bike and it shows no sign of needing an adjustment. The paint is staring to bubble in a couple of spots and the top of the tank is a little deformed. It's an '07. Shimming works if done right. It's more than Ducati will do for us.
so even if it is spreading .... it seems like 1 out of 2 bikes have the problem and if it doesnt yet it will eventually if you live in a area with high ethanol content at the pump... I guess it is unavoidable if you like this bike, =( So for sure this issue is covered by warranty? I am going to pull the trigger then !!!
Can't always blame the fuel. Ducati should've done some homework on this one. The tanks are pure crap. Major miscalculation and underwhelming reaction from a "world class" manufacturer with an "introductory" bike in a major market. Buy the bike, enjoy it for what it is: great engine and handling. Typically, it has some flaws. Ducati does warranty them, for now. My advise: ride the bike until the shimming no longer helps. If the aluminum tanks being made here are done, buy one. If not, get the warranty tank from Ducati, put it on the bike then sell it. You should get a couple of years of great riding enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Until Ducati comes out with a tank that won't spread, you might as well just shim because the replacement tank will just spread anyway.
So maybe if you're lucky there will be enough tanks left of the old crappy design that they'll outlive the 5 year mandate and you'll need to *buy* your replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts