Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
When you find it you’re going to slap your forehead and swear. It’s going to be something so embarrassingly stupid that you won’t want to tell us about. It’s almost certainly got something to do with what you just worked on. Missing any tools ?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
When you find it you’re going to slap your forehead and swear. It’s going to be something so embarrassingly stupid that you won’t want to tell us about. It’s almost certainly got something to do with what you just worked on. Missing any tools ?
... how did that screwdriver get into the transmission .. ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Haha that's what I'm afraid of, and also hence the boroscope. No tools or fasteners unaccounted for as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just riffing here. Did you check for something under the belt cover? Transmission stuck? Can you change gears? Does the rear wheel turn different amounts in different gears?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you have the sprocket tool (! recently found mine!), you can eliminate transmission/chain issues by turning the motor over from the left end of the crank. That you moved it some already is encouraging, but it seems like some mouse droppings or their "hoarding" has gummed up something. Sure, it could just be the rings sticking on the poo, but rodents like to carry treasure back to their nest, stupid stuff they can't eat but like for some reason. You could have something wedged in there that is completely unexpected like a small stone or beer can pull tab. My guess would be on the intake valve given the carbs were full of crap. Might be worth the trouble to pull the intake runners off to see.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
My corvette used to shoot acorns out of the pipes every spring until I started stuffing them with steel wool. Mice love air boxes for nests too. A friend lost a socket when putting heads back on his big block corvette. He found it as soon as he started it up.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just re-read the entire thread .... there's no mention of carbs being full of crap. OP also said he had just ridden the bike a week ago.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Oops! my bad, I had two tabs open on the forum - one with mice and this one without!

Anyway, it can be hard to turn the wheel in gear with the plugs out, but it should unless something is jammed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so here's where I'm at right now.

-Transmission shifts through all gears. Wheels spins in neutral, and with clutch in, but only 1/2 turn when in gear.

-Belt covers removed- belts are intact, tensioned, and nothing that would be preventing them from moving.

-Clutch cover off, no foreign objects that would be jamming clutch.

-Carbs and intake runners off, spark plugs out. Boroscope through both intake and plug holes does not show any foreign objects- although I can't view the entire top of the cylinder, so I will fiddle with the mirror attachment before ruling this out completely.

Kind of at a loss where to go from here as I've checked everything I can think of. If either the solenoid or starter failed, could it have done so with the starter engaged, and that's what jamming me up? The other thread with similar issues someone had suggested the starter sprag got jammed and could be freed by rocking back and forth, but that idea was shot down in this thread. I tried it anyways and no go- still a hard stop. Any suggestions where to go next?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Bike in neutral, can you cycle the crank through 360 degrees with crank tool? Or does it stop?

This is what mine does and I now know it has a bent valve, cycles fine up to a point and then hard stop as the valve hits the top of the piston. I could hear it thunk, so I took that valve cover off and can see the valve is not returning to the closed position - its stuck, neither up nor down.

The only other thing I can offer since mice are not the issue(!), is when I put my starter in I had put it wedged behind the idler gear instead of meshing with it when I tightened it down. Not sure if that could halt the motor from turning, nor why yours was in correctly last weekend and not now -

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Oops! my bad, I had two tabs open on the forum - one with mice and this one without!
I've never done that ..... (ahem) ... :rolleyes:

I blame this whole thing on the buttongs. Those damned things are a menace to all that is good and honest, I tell ya what! Buttongs are what cause posting mistakes .... buttongs are what create these goofy engine problems.

Damned buttongs ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Double checked connections, all seemed fine. Just for shits I pulled the plugs and put it in gear on the stand. Wheel wouldn’t budge. Not sure what’s going on.
I once had this situation and found the starter stuck engaged. Put it in 6th gear and move the wheel back and forth until it frees up. Could work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would suggest removing the alternator cover (left side).
Might be a broken tooth from some gear in there that is jammed in between two gears or so. Or some other piece of metal that is jamming some gears. Doesn't have to be big to jam everything in there.
That could explain the 'hard stop' when turning the rear wheel while in gear.
And if so; I wouldn't try that 'hard stop turning' action on the rear wheel to often. More damage will occur if it actually is a piece of metal blocking two gears...

21 - 40 of 65 Posts