Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the tank tonight getting ready for my FCR swap. When I went to start the bike, it made only one click, and didn't turn over at all. After some inspection, I noticed that I had knocked the plug to the coil loose (see picture, not my bike but same plug). I plugged it back in, and still nothing- one click, no turnover. Any suggestions what I might have done here, or where to start trouble shooting? All fuses looked good, bike powers on, but won't turn over. Wondering if I fried the start solenoid or a maybe a relay?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That coil wire is not part of the starting system. The very first place I'd check out would be ...
** Battery connections.
** The battery itself.
** Any "heavy ground" connections.

On face value of the symptoms you've described, I'd go with a battery connections first (including the heavy ground connections and cable), then the battery itself second.

I've flown this flag many times here, I reckon I'll fly it many more times to come ..... this tool is a $20.00 investment ... it can be used to troubleshoot starting systems, charging systems, heavy battery cable connections and the cables themselves, heavy grounding systems/connections. Twenty bucks. I bought one in the mid 1990s for my business, used it hundreds of times, I still have it, and it still works fine. Twenty bucks!

It's far more than just a volt meter, it actually places various systems under a load, equal to that of starting an engine. Harbor Freight sells them ... that's where I bought my 25 year old one ... and they're still Twenty Bucks!

Sermon over.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
check the white connector on the starter solenoid. It easily pulls out and no start happens
Ok, so then the ~click~ he's hearing is the start relay but even though the relay is working since the white connector is (possibly) disconnected the solenoid doesn't engage, hence no turn over? I guess the white lead is the one coming from the relay contacts to the solenoid's coil then?

** Hit the "start" button which sends voltage to the start relay's coil ..
** The relay is then engaged and it's points close, sending voltage to the solenoid's coil ..
** Which closes the solenoid's contacts, connecting heavy current/voltage to the starter?
** Makey vroom vroom?

Just trying to learn here myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double checked connections, all seemed fine. Just for shits I pulled the plugs and put it in gear on the stand. Wheel wouldn’t budge. Not sure what’s going on.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
You probably want to get your volt meter out and trace that you have 12v or more all the way to the starter . You can also run a jumper wire from the battery straight to the starter to check the starter.
Did you try turning the wheel both ways ?
You can swap the two relays by the headlight to check them. One is the main relay, I think, and the other one is the same part number .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably want to get your volt meter out and trace that you have 12v or more all the way to the starter . You can also run a jumper wire from the battery straight to the starter to check the starter.
Did you try turning the wheel both ways ?
You can swap the two relays by the headlight to check them. One is the main relay, I think, and the other one is the same part number .
Put it in 6th, got the wheel to spin about half turn. I can turn it about 1/2 each way then it stops.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just a question as I am not sure about this on Ducati's--what about the fuseable link? could that be an issue?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Any reason why it wouldn't make a full rotation spinning the rear wheel? Plugs are both out
Well that doesn't sound good. Maybe I missed something in one of your previous posts, but did the bike sit for a long while without being started/ridden (stuck piston)?

Another shot in the dark here ... have you done a visual on the belts (are they both intact)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that doesn't sound good. Maybe I missed something in one of your previous posts, but did the bike sit for a long while without being started/ridden (stuck piston)?

Another shot in the dark here ... have you done a visual on the belts (are they both intact)?
Belts are intact, was ridden last week

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe something dropped down one of the intake runners and is stuck in a valve? don't know what else would be preventing it from turning over

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Read in another thread that the starter sprag can get jammed, and rocking back forth in gear can unjam it. If this were the case, would that explain the motor not turning?

·
Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE="bigbadbass2, post: 7041177, member: 197857"]
did you perform any other service oriented checks or procedures to the engine since it was ridden last week?
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="belter, post: 7041187, member: 246491"]
code for "what else could you have fucked up".
with the spark plugs removed and in gear (use 6th for ease) it should spin quite freely. does it just hard stop?
[/QUOTE]

a legitimate, pertinent question that must be asked

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE="bigbadbass2, post: 7041177, member: 197857"]
did you perform any other service oriented checks or procedures to the engine since it was ridden last week?
QUOTE="belter, post: 7041187, member: 246491"]
code for "what else could you have fucked up".
with the spark plugs removed and in gear (use 6th for ease) it should spin quite freely. does it just hard stop?
[/QUOTE]

a legitimate, pertinent question that must be asked
[/QUOTE]

Just some front end stuff which was working properly last weekend. Redid brakes, clutch master/slave, and front suspension. And yes when rear wheel stops, it's a hard stop, both directions.

At this point, I've got carbs removed, intake runners off and have put a boroscope both through the intake and sparkplug holes. Nothing seemed out of place except for some dirty pistons. Pulled the clutch cover, and nothing was out of place there. Rear wheel still only spins about 1/2 turn. I am completely stumped.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts