Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 96 ss/sp and I've already taken the motor out. The bike has been sitting for 4 years untouched. At on point, in the last year I rode it, I had one of the floats stick open. I went into the garage the next day and there was a puddle of gas and oil under the bike. The gas leaked past the pistons and made it's way into the crank case. It ate through the liquid gasket and out it poured.

After I fixed it, I went to change the oil and that's when I saw that the crank case gasket was hanging down into the oil pan part of the motor. It stuck out of the oil drain hole so I pulled it all out.

My question is should I crack open the case and change the gasket? It's a big job and I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This picture, from another member, shows the gasket. Imagine all of the gasket from the bottom of the motor coming out. What's it there for anyway? I don't think that there's any part of the other crankcase that goes around those holes in the bottom. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Hi,
After I fixed it, I went to change the oil and that's when I saw that the crank case gasket was hanging down into the oil pan part of the motor. It stuck out of the oil drain hole so I pulled it all out.
Wait... what? what part of the gasket was hanging out where? A picture would be helpful. Hard to imagine that a bunch of gas could damage any of the gaskets in the motor, but I guess it's possible if the wrong gasket material was used.

To solve the stuck-float-fill-engine-with-gas problem I installed an external fuel shut off valve and moved the fuel filter out of the motor for convenience sake while I was at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bananaboat, did you see the picture I just put up? I might of done it as you you typing your reply. If you're looking at the picture, it's the loose part of the red gasket on the right side of the picture.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
so you are saying that the part of the gasket that isn't trapped and pressed directly between the case halves has torn loose and is laying in the bottom of your case? Interesting. I would open the motor and fix it. That paper floating around in there is bound to make a mess eventually. I'd be worried about it getting stuck somewhere important and restricting oil flow. Hopefully someone else on the forum has experience here, I'm just guessing.

If you already have the motor out, you have already done the hard part (in my opinion). When you put it back together you won't use a paper gasket, you use a liquid gasket material (ducati has one, tribond is another, permatex has been used successfully, etc etc). Keep in mind that you will need to dry fit the case halves together and probably re-shim the crank and swingarm (maybe transmission shaft too) because there won't be a ~1mm thick paper gasket there when you reassemble.

I was hesitant to pull my 900 motor apart too. Once I got in there, I saw how simple it really is to deal with. Get the haynes manual and take your time. Take pictures and ask questions on the forum. I got tons of help from the people here. 5000 miles on my motor since reassembly, 0 issues.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Look at this as an opportunity to replace the oil galley plug that will eventually require replacement.

+1...

They are easy enough to strip down! Here's my motor stripped for hi-comps, APE studs & of course - the blasted crank plug...

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/129701-900ss-trials-tribulations.html

Once all this has been done & your motor has been refurbed you will enjoy many miles of trouble-free motoring! :D

Ah yes...FCR's have a habit of filling your cases with petrol, which is why they are not at the top of my shopping list... fit one of these & new float needles!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you break your motor down you will need to re-shim anyways. Atleast make sure the shiming is correct with the new gasket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts