Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a burnt yellow 2006 Sport Classic....my first bike ever. All of a sudden my wife is miraculously over her fears of riding and wants to ride with me. I have purchased the 2007 biposto seat. It fits without any mods almost perfectly (just a little tight). My biggest hurdle now are the footpegs. I have the single Termi exhaust. My wife weighs 105 pounds so I'm sure the single rear shock will be fine. Short of getting rid of my exhaust, trading my 2006 for a 2007, or trading in my wife, has anybody successfully added passenger footpegs to their 2006?

If you have pictures they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Search, it has been don. Luther came up with a tidy solution, but he's one of the few. Wasp is working on some rearsets with passenger pegs, and it remains to be seen if they'll fit on a 2006.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the search before I posted but nothing substantial came up. I'll try again using different search words.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Short of getting rid of my exhaust, trading my 2006 for a 2007, or trading in my wife, .....................
Pictures of your exhaust, bike or "wife" might get people to offer trades! :eek:

I just couldn't resist saying that :D

Edit: come to think of it I may have a 2008 GT1000 I'd trade you for it. Ex may be leaving it with me! Thats if a GT would work for you?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
or you look for someone who wants to turn their biposto into a mono, and swap the parts... I'm sure there are some out there, if only for the possibility of putting rear-sets on their bike... and a pair of ZARDS!!!!! (not for me, but I don't think it's far-fetched... )

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Try to hang on to the wife if you can. One who rides her own would be even better, but if you have to carry a passenger, a 105 lb. one is definitely the way to go.

The solution here is obvious, and it's not the one you have suggested. You need two bikes.

You could pick up a used Airhead BMW for $3k to $4k, and have a far superior bike for carrying a passenger (and for traveling long distance), and you could keep your Sport the way it was meant to be.

If you want to stay Ducati pure, you could add an older ST2 for similar money.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Man if you lived closer I would trade you my Red 2007 GT1000, damn, damn damn...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, I'm trying to talk her into a Vespa or something similar. I was hoping there was some sort of packaged mod/passenger-footpeg already out there instead of investing in another bike.

As a temporary fix, I went to REI and purchased some nylon webbing (similar width as seat belts). I made two loops and tied them to two holes under each side of the seat. Seems to work fine. Rode up to the Observatory today. May not be the safest option, but it will do until I find someone to MacGyver something up.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Just bought a burnt yellow 2006 Sport Classic....my first bike ever. All of a sudden my wife is miraculously over her fears of riding and wants to ride with me. I have purchased the 2007 biposto seat. It fits without any mods almost perfectly (just a little tight). My biggest hurdle now are the footpegs. I have the single Termi exhaust. My wife weighs 105 pounds so I'm sure the single rear shock will be fine. Short of getting rid of my exhaust, trading my 2006 for a 2007, or trading in my wife, has anybody successfully added passenger footpegs to their 2006?

The idea in my mind is to get rid of the passenger pegs so you DONT have to drag your wife around ! Just make sure you have enuf cab fare for the young one you meet on the road to get to he closest Motel 6 ....

Steffano

·
Registered
665 Posts
Swapping my Bi-Posto Setup for your Mono setup would def. be something to think about.

I bel you can in fact swap out part for part. (The detailed ones, please chime in)

Regarding the exhausts, I'd be down to swap my setup for yours as well in order to match everything perfectly.

Hmmm...

I guess I'd have to have my cowl re-painted red, and the swing-arm re-shot in red as well.

Hmmm...Sounds tasty!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer; however, I only need the rearsets with the passenger pegs. I have a two seater seat, I like my curved swingarm, and I don't particularly like the look of the duel pipes (on one side or both, sorry). I know that limits the options to the blow torch.

Come on guys. If it was easy, I wouldn't have asked. Realisticaly, my wife is too smoking hot to ignore her request. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
here's how i did mine. it's temp though, as i'm going to make some custom removable pillion pegs. this will involve some frame work to get the attachment points i need.

for now, the triangles work fine. and yes, you'll need to revise your exhaust - or her right leg will LITERALLY be smokin' hot... ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Rear brackets Sport Classic Paul Smart

Hi guys, made these up the other day but i need the pegs to go on the ends. I had them cut out of stainless steel and mild steel. Not designed for anything really over 60 kgs passanger. Anyone know where I can get some folding rear pegs?

PS I have a few sets cut out that and for the cost of the laser cutting people can have - no legal stuff about fit for purpose etc. The mild steel ones will need to be cleaned and painted. Stainless just cleaned. Cheers Marty

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
zetini, nice work! i'm going through the same process right now. here's a link to a similar bracket modification thread. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=86675&highlight=monoposto+to+biposto
also very nice work.

the pegs are rizoma. they look great and fold but unfortunately do not stay folded at 90 degrees (because of the spring). maybe they can be modified.

sent you a PM regarding your brackets.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As a temporary fix, I went to REI and purchased some nylon webbing (similar width as seat belts). I made two loops and tied them to two holes under each side of the seat. Seems to work fine. Rode up to the Observatory today. May not be the safest option, but it will do until I find someone to MacGyver something up.
This sounds seriously dangerous. If you were to go down she will be all tangled up in the bike and the results would probably be much worse than if she were able to come off the bike.

The monos are more rare. Talk the little lady into taking a MC safety course and get her a Monster 696 rather than fooking up your nice mono!

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
this sounds seriously dangerous. If you were to go down she will be all tangled up in the bike and the results would probably be much worse than if she were able to come off the bike.

The monos are more rare. Talk the little lady into taking a mc safety course and get her a monster 696 rather than fooking up your nice mono!
+1

1 - 20 of 24 Posts