Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
my girlfriend who is a die hard Ducati fan finally decided she wants to learn how to ride after seeing the new hypermotard 796 at the long beach motorcycle show yesterday. but heres the problem, she's small made (i mean tiny in a cute way), 4'11 tall and 90lbs so i suggested starting off with a small bike like a Kawi ninja 250 but she said "i will not get on nor will i let you park in my garage any other bike but a Ducati". i would like to know what her option are as far as rider height etc.
thanks very much

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Then you tell her that the Ninja 250's purpose is to drop it, crash it, get it dirty, and learn on it BEFORE she gets the Ducati!

Save the dirty work for the dirty bike.

I think a HM might still be too tall for her. In fact, maybe a Monster might be the only bike, MAYBE, that she can tip toe on.

4'11 is........lol........pretty short. Lowering links and sliding the fork tubes through the triple may need to be required. Also, there are boots out there that can give her a 1-2 inch raise.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Then you tell her that the Ninja 250's purpose is to drop it, crash it, get it dirty, and learn on it BEFORE she gets the Ducati!

Save the dirty work for the dirty bike.
What he said. She wouldn't want to abuse that beautiful new Ducati, would she? Then once she's acquired some skill and become accustomed to balancing on one leg, she can move up to a Duc. Another plus is that it's pretty easy to find baby Ninja's that have already been lowered by previous owners.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
if it MUST be a Ducati... then Monster 620i.e. with lowering link. Not many bikes out there for the vertically challenged. Get comfortable on two-wheels first, then stepping into a taller bike becomes less intimidating. Other prime choices beside the Kawi 250: Honda Rebel, Suzuki's 250 (forgot name) HD Sportster 883; all good to learn on. Don't overlook the range of dirtbikes to learn on, too. You gotta start somewhere, and it's best to leave the ego in check when doing so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the post, after reading your comments she agreed to learn on small bike. i think a honda rebel would be nice, lees intimidating like one mentiond above. thanks again for tips.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Then she's an idiot...other than her taste in bikes. :p I'm being tongue in cheek/sarcastic by the way. Don't want to piss a good woman off.;)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Honda Rebel will be a great learners bike.
Very acceptable of short folks and easy to handle
Good choice on her part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts