Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new ST3 and have a couple questions. It's been a while since I rode a bike with a chain. How often do you clean the chain? What do you use to clean it and is chain-wax still recommended? Also, about those pesky stickers on the gas tank. How can I remove them without harming the paint?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Removing stikers...carefull with a fingernai, get a corner peeled up just enough to get under it. Take a soft rag soaked in WD-40 and begin rubbing it on the glue to disolve it. Slowly, start to peel the sticker while rubbing underneath with the WD-40 to keep the glue coming off. The slower you go, the cleaner it will come off. After it's off, use the WD to make sure you got all the clue, then clean in your favorite manner to remove the WD.

Chains...Every oil change (3,000 miles)...Put it up on a stand so you can rotate it easier and liberally soak the chain in WD-40, and let it set for a few minutes. Take a very soft bristled brush (I use a tooth brush) and scrub in various directions to remove all the gunk. After that, VERY LIBERALLY soak the chain in un-diluted Simple Green. Brush a little bit more just to knock the chunks off, and respray with Simple Green as needed. Wash off all the Simple Green with a direct spray from the water hose. The WD-40 does the cleaning and the Simple Green is basically to remove the greasy WD-40. This will leave a very nice, clean, completely grease free chain ready for waxing. Finish washing your bike at this point. Once everything is done and dry, somewhat liberally coat the chain with Maxima Chain Wax, in the gold can. Don't worry about putting on too much as this stuff WILL NOT sling off. That's it, you're finished. Then after every wash job (which for me is fairly often) I just wipe down the chain best I can and recoat with a quick layer of the chain wax.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have had good luck removing non clear coated decals by using a hairdryer to loosen the adhesive, prying the decal with my finger nail. Like the other post said, clean up with WD40.

Dave Harhay

G

·
I'm in the sign business and heatguns or hairdryers are the way it's normally done. Big stuff on vehicles can be removed with erasers but that's a different story. I'm not sure which decals you mean, mine are all clear coated on the ST4.

Not to start controversy but the WD40 on the chain isn't unanimous. I did quite a bit of research recently, coming from the BMW world, and many say that isn't the way to go, especially on sealed o-ring or x-ring chains. The advice I follow is to wipe her down and use spray wax chain lube. Nothing thin enough to work past the sealing rings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kerosene for the chain is very easy...

a little on a rag cleans most everything off quickly and easily. It's not hard to do it in a few minutes if you keep up with it and don't let the crud build up too much. I clean mine about every 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are three warning stickers between the filler and seat on my ST3 that are not clear coated. I would like to remove the Sport Touring stickers on the rear panels too but they may be clear coated. The Ducati ST3 on the tank is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On my 03 ST4S I let the bike sit in the direct sun for a hour or so and pulled the stickers right off. For the glue wd-40 works or you can also purchase an adhesive remover from any local auto paint supplier.

·
Registered
403 Posts
3M makes BY FAR the best adhesive remover. Hair dryer or heat gun really helps and 3M to clean off all residue.

Chains might possibly stir up more controversy than a "what oil to use" thread. You will find as many suggestions as people giving them. Personally, I use WD-40 sparingly when I think about it (usually somewhere between every 500 and 1000 miles) and around oil change time give it an extra heavy dose of WD-40 along with toothbrush scrubbing. Then everything in the area gets well washed (sometimes this gets done around tire change time rather than oil change time since having the wheels off makes it easyier to get to all the grungiest parts). Then I finish it off with a bit of chain spray lube. I've tried a few different ones and haven't really found a favorite. They all make claims and you can find people who praise and bash them all. But most of lubing is just the occassional spray of WD-40 to keep the gunk down. On sealed O and X ring chains you are mostly trying to keep them relatively clean rather than making sure lube is always on them anyway.

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Cleaning - "Grunge Brush" and Keresone

Wax or Lube? I won't start that debate. I use Chain Wax.

·
Registered
293 Posts
WD40 is not a lubricant, but works great as a cleaning agent that won't damage the chain components. I frequently use a rag soaked in WD40 to clean the chain, then use a motorcycle specific chain lube spray to get every single O-ring, then clean excess off with the WD40 rag. I've become kind of anal about cleaning and maintaining my chain since I threw a chain in '02. I figure it's easier to spot potential problems on a clean chain than a dirty one. My last chain (DID ERV2 520) lasted 10,000 miles and had only a couple tight spots.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hair dryer and WD-40 worked great on the stickers. I didn't want to use the heat gun, that thing can bubble paint! The stickers came off in one piece and the WD-40 clean up the glue left behind. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.