Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start out by saying 'Thank you!' to all that reply and help me towards my purchase decision.

I am 34 years old, live in San Diego, CA. I've owned 3 motorcycles over the years, all Japanese crotch-rockets, with the last being a 2004 Yamaha R1, which I sold in 2006. I now want to buy another bike and I want to try to go with something a little more exotic and a break from the norm that I see on the streets.

I absolutely love the look of the cafe racer. I've liked them for a long time, but have had no real knowledge of them. I'll admit, I did see Tron and I thought that Sport 1000 was beautiful in that. I guess I just opened myself up to any Tron haters, and no I am not on the band wagon as I've loved this style for years. I've never ridden one, and don't expect I'll get to before I buy as I know they aren't as common as say a R6, and I never let anyone ride-before-you-buy of my other motorcycles :)

Before I bought, I thought I would reach out to you guys who have all the tribal knowledge of these bikes and hopefully help set me on the right path.

Based on looks solely, I'll say this bike I saw on eBay the other day is beautiful. Things I love about this are the right side single exhaust (I am not to keen on two sided exhaust or the stacked exhaust look), then the modification to the tail light. On every bike I've owned I've never kept that huge stock mud flap piece of junk. I know in CA I am going to want side mirrors and turn signals (just saying based on the pic)
Ducati : Other in Ducati | eBay Motorcycles

I read that in 2006 it was a dry clutch with a-symetrical swing arm. In 2007 they switched it to a wet clutch and changed things so that passenger pegs can be mounted and an optional clip on passenger seat instead of solo cowl. Having a passenger is not a deciding factor for me, but all things else being equal, I'd love to have the option.

I do not like the front fairing on some of the Sport 1000. I dont want that model.

I started looking locally in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles on Craigslist and didn't come up with too much. I then looked on eBay and found a couple, but only that one listed above that caught my eye. I know what I may need is patience. If it means I have to wait till next Spring, I will. What I think can help me though is the important information to know on these bikes when making a purchase. What should I look for? Differences between the years that may be of value to me? I was very reluctant to just jump in and buy that one bike above off of eBay knowing the guy is on the East Coast. Not only do I know little about the bike's various options and things to look for when buying, but it would be bought sight un-seen and cost me probably $500+ to ship it out to Cali. Probably more ideal to find someone out in NV, AZ, CA with one and just ride it back.

I know when i had my Suzuki's and Yamaha, I spent countless hours on the forums and became very knowledgeable. As of now though I have limited knowledge (but growing) of these. So thank you again to any help you all can provide me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just keep looking, and hope you get lucky! I had mine shipped from Virginia. But I'm more and more glad I impulse bought it off ebay 2 years ago when I did!

·
Registered
635 Posts
We all love our bikes so we are biased. Use the search engine on this part of the forum. You've had bikes so you know what you'll use it for. There are threads on comfort of seats position and type of clip ons and rear sets.

Best thing to do is read read . You are on the right track. They are modern bikes with a vintage look. Read about the mods people do. You may find ones important to you. Like type of exhaust or fork upgrades things you might like and nice to have sorted out already.

Good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
You are in the same position as a lot of people. These are beautiful bikes and are becoming harder and harder to obtain. And the price is going up. Especially for an 06 mono with low mileage. I sent u a pm with some info

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
That bike has turn signals. The rear light is a Fleda and the LEDs on it are multicolor, so when you hit the signal that side flashes orange. It's pretty neat. If you can find one for under $12k it's a good deal. Don't worry too much about shipping, there are good carriers. Buying on ebay will protect your money as well, so don't worry too much there.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That bike has turn signals. The rear light is a Fleda and the LEDs on it are multicolor, so when you hit the signal that side flashes orange. It's pretty neat. If you can find one for under $12k it's a good deal. Don't worry too much about shipping, there are good carriers. Buying on ebay will protect your money as well, so don't worry too much there.
Other thoughts I need to determine are
1. financing. if i buy between now and 03/13, i have to finance. bonus comes 03/13. i'll check a few credit unions in the next few days and see what their rates are.
i hate waiting...

2. the 7500 mile thing in cali. if a bike has less than 7500 miles, i can prob get it delivered to my house, but cant register it. so i may need to find someone in socal that has one of these and determine if it is easy enough to swap the gauage cluster for a couple hours? hmmm..

thanks about the info on ebay. scary to buy sight unseen, but i guess eBay protects me as you say, so i hope all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
You can register any SC in CA. There's a sticker under the tank that shows it to be a 50 state bike. Alternatively, you can get a letter from Ducati North America stating that as well, but it takes a while (a month or two).

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can register any SC in CA. There's a sticker under the tank that shows it to be a 50 state bike. Alternatively, you can get a letter from Ducati North America stating that as well, but it takes a while (a month or two).
I see. It looks like the rule would be diff if it was a 49-state bike. I would need 7500 miles on the odometer for that. But since its a 50-state bike, this shouldn't matter. Good :) Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
There have been a ton of discussions about how to buy one of these lately and I will offer that you should have all your "ducks" lined up so you can jump quickly if you see an accessible one pop up close by. (i.e. you might want to wait until your bonus comes in as cash is king)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a 2009 Biposto in the San Diego area 4 months ago.
In a matter of 4 days; 3 black bipostos were sold down here. One of them purchased by comedian Dane Cook. Ive only seen one or two 'S' models for sale since.

I dont know the terms Cook bought his under, but the two others were sold in a matter of hours after they were posted on the internet. Both sellers recieved multiple calls, even from buyers out of state.

The guy I bought it from said he got a call from New Jersey, even though it was posted on the SD craigslist.

Check the SD/LA craigslist and cycletrader daily. You wont have long if one pops up.

Good luck!

And they're called 'Sport Bikes' not crotch rockets.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Cooks bike

Here it is from his instagram pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts