Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im a new member also new to the Ducati, i bought my 2016 Multistrada 1200s used from this year with 26k miles on it, it was imported from UK. I changed the engine oil and filter bought OEM from Amazon, also bought plugs but didn't change them because ones on it look good.
Bikes i had before the Dukati are 2004 Honda ST1300, 2013 BMW R1200RT and 2012 BMW K11600GT, i have to admit i love the Ducati more ride and weight wise, i was planning to buy the 2 side boxes on eBay because i touring is my biking preference.
I also changed the left hand control switch because the menu button was missing though it works fine with the inner buttons but i fear for water Ingres. Compared to my other bikes, i find the starter sluggish to start the bike though bike starts every time with one push of a button and couple engine turns depending on how long i started it last, so i bought a new motocross YTZ12S battery as spare.
Bike came with only passive black key that needs to be placed near the dash board to activate the instrument panel.
The handsfree starting system is new to me, up until the time i bought the bike i assumed it has the traditional key in the hole then press start button system, very strange for a bike, cool though.
MY PROBLEM.
I rode it last on 7/07/18, it rode fine as usual without any problem, parked it for 2 weeks then the problem starts, I've parked it for longer in the past without any problem.I placed the passive key near left side of instrument panel followed the usual sequence but nothing, the instrument panel won't come on, initially i thought maybe the battery is flat, but when i press the fail safe button the instrument panel came on promptly with headlight quite bright. The fail safe can not show screen to insert pin code, if i press menu button it will go into suspension settings, i noticed DSS error, DWC error on this screen , it also shows 51km/h intermittently, engine cooling fan and headlights comes on and off intermittently. Strange indeed it took me to insert pin code when i was just checking it out on a previous occasion. I charged the battery with a NOCO genius charger with battery on the bike until fully charged and tried again severally, no change. I keep my bikes outside with bike cover and we do have rats, could it have been rat chewed something somewhere or is it a known problem with a diagnosis.
My Honda was rock solid, had it for many years it basically never fails, with the BMWs i have the GS911 to diagnose any problem they may have. Im just beginning to learn the Ducatis are not so DIY friendly and theres no Ducati dealer in West Africa, the closest is south Africa which is over 4000 miles, actually I'm closer to the UK then to SA.
Thank you very much for anticipated help.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
swag Look under the seat for a white electrical plug on the starter relay / fuse. Unplug it and look to see if it and the pins are burnt up / melted. This is a common problem. Cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
Must te black key not totaly on the right side for a 2016 model?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swag Look under the seat for a white electrical plug on the starter relay / fuse. Unplug it and look to see if it and the pins are burnt up / melted. This is a common problem. Cheers
Thanks will do so later and revert back

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Though my bike is quite a bit older than yours, I had the same issue so I’ll tell you what I found. It may be helpful. The factory apparently pulled the zip ties so tight on my wiring harness that it pulled wires partially out of some connectors. You couldn’t see it, but inside the connector the wires weren’t contacting well . I unplugged all the connectors, sprayed them with anti corrosion type cleaner, then pushed the wires back into each connector as far as I could. I found this on my main fuse holder first, and the bike would then power up but not crank. After making sure all the connectors had their wires pushed all the way in from both sides and cleaning the connections, the bike now starts and runs. I did not try to start the bike after I cleaned each connector so I don’t know which one was the problem. I also did this with the instrument wiring and ecu wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the Italian curse strikes back! :frown2:
I had similar problems twice but I managed to solve it with changing battery on black key. I found that contacts on battery don't make good contact. but this was just the key!

·
Registered
620 Posts
First thing I would do is replace the battery, even if your smart charger says its fine. Those chargers are not able to test the battery under a load, and it's not uncommon for a lead acid battery to appear fine, until a load is placed on it.

This may not fix your problem, but it's a relatively cheap diagnostic first step, and always a good idea to change on a used bike, unless you know the previous owner/dealer already did it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had similar problems twice but I managed to solve it with changing battery on black key. I found that contacts on battery don't make good contact. but this was just the key!
My black key seem to be the passive key and no sign that is has any battery in it or does it?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger that on the Italian curse, the bolt to loosen the battery holder seems warped, it keeps turning and not loosening.:surprise:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First thing I would do is replace the battery, even if your smart charger says its fine. Those chargers are not able to test the battery under a load, and it's not uncommon for a lead acid battery to appear fine, until a load is placed on it.

This may not fix your problem, but it's a relatively cheap diagnostic first step, and always a good idea to change on a used bike, unless you know the previous owner/dealer already did it.
I will change to new battery i have a Yuasa motocross 12 Volt, 11 amp-hour, 210 cold cranking amps, high performance sealed maintenance-free battery.

I hope specification is right , will figure how to loosen the nut fastening the battery holder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all, sorry for long silence on the glitchy Multy 1200 problem. I did all as advised, changed battery, checked the the white plug, checked all fuses but the bike wouldn't just come to life to life or take me to insert pin code screen with the black key placed as near as possible to the antenna. So i seek for and found a renowned voodoo native doctor that lives in the cave of the dreadful zuma rock who gave me a charm and talisman to say some incantations and place talisman near the antenna and shazzam+karamba the dash came to life(At least i considered that at some oint:laugh:)

Considering we dont have dealership anywhere near Nigeria, I bit the bullet and put my trust on some key programmer who promised to change the system to just push tank button to boot the system at a fat cost. Well he actually did and now my black key is just to open the tank and seats. Problem with this is that the bike is no longer secure, im pretty sure nobody will steal it though, will find some wheel lock just to be double sure. See the youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=7Q1bm1TOhTo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts