Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took bike out a few times this week. Now it wants to steer into the turn, cutting turns close and continuing to force me to fight the bike to countersteer.

Alignment seems fine. I lost 25 lbs over the winter and haven’t reset preload, could this be the issue? Very unsettling when it happens, even happens at 30mph.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Tire pressure?

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Had the same problem with mine, turned out my tyre pressure gauge was reading 10psi high!

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Took bike out a few times this week. Now it wants to steer into the turn, cutting turns close and continuing to force me to fight the bike to countersteer.

Alignment seems fine. I lost 25 lbs over the winter and haven’t reset preload, could this be the issue? Very unsettling when it happens, even happens at 30mph.

Thoughts?

Check tire wear... I tend to wear the sides and tires worn that way want to fall into corners.

Reactions: kdehkordi

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check tire wear... I tend to wear the sides and tires worn that way want to fall into corners.

Tires only have 3k on them, they look ok

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Sound like a worn tire to me. Always make suspension changes on fresh tires.

t_bare

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Those tire pressures should be in the ball park as should your suspension be.

I also would check tire pressure as it reacts this way especially if low ( under 25lbs)
Front tire wear at 3000 miles certainly can be the issue. Look for (or feel) for a misshapen front tire, some are very prone to this. I am not a Pirelli fan as I often see the fronts worn into the shape of an Aztec pyramid and when they do this the steering becomes very digital ( falls into the corner but then gets stuck in a detent then falls again to the next step).

Also be sure to check that the wheels are not falling off the bike and everything is torqued. I would do a pre-season once around the bike with each wrench and make sure nothing is loose. This should only take a short while to do and it is better off knowing, you would be shocked at the amount of loose stuff I see come into the shop.

·
comrade moderator
27,525 Posts
If the tires are slightly worn, try upping the pressures. Mid to upper 30's.

This is also dependent of the tires themselves. Pirelli's have very soft carcasses as a rule and need higher pressures. Those are some seriously low pressures ya'll are running on the street.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would re-baseline the suspension settings (sag (aka preload), rebound, and compression) per Ducati specs and check tire pressure with another gauge before throwing another set of tires on it.

My ST3 is pretty sensitive to sag settings and will exhibit falling into a corner when it's not right. Excessive fork rebound can also give you a feeling of instability during cornering.

Scott L.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would re-baseline the suspension settings (sag (aka preload), rebound, and compression) per Ducati specs and check tire pressure with another gauge before throwing another set of tires on it.

My ST3 is pretty sensitive to sag settings and will exhibit falling into a corner when it's not right. Excessive fork rebound can also give you a feeling of instability during cornering.

Scott L.

When you all say “falling into corners”, do you mean it countersteers but won’t hold the line or that it actually steers into the corner, because that is what mine is doing. Tire did not look oddly worn to me, but I will check again

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Scott L.

Do you happen to know what weight the factory settings are for?

Also, does anyone know what the factory settings are for the dvt skyhook?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you happen to know what weight the factory settings are for?

Also, does anyone know what the factory settings are for the dvt skyhook?

I'm also curious about what the stock spring rates are front and back. I've never been able to find this information for a 2015 DVT.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To me, falling into corners is oversteer; having to correct the bike midcorner from steering too sharply. From a suspension point of view, the forks can ride too deep in stroke (not enough preload/sag, too much rebound or too little compression). The back shock can create the same symptoms but with opposite conditions (too much preload, not enough rebound, or too much compression. That's why I suggested baseline your settings.

Good luck.

Scott L.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Alignment seems fine. I lost 25 lbs over the winter and haven’t reset preload, could this be the issue?
Reset the spring preload.

When you reduce the rider's weight the bike rises in it's suspension.

A higher ride height means that the bike's center-of-gravity (CG) is also higher.

A higher CG creates a larger moment that makes the bike easier to lean side-to-side

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reset the spring preload.

When you reduce the rider's weight the bike rises in it's suspension.

A higher ride height means that the bike's center-of-gravity (CG) is also higher.

A higher CG creates a larger moment that makes the bike easier to lean side-to-side

Thanks for the help, however, my issue is that when turning right, the bars turn right. Even at medium speed. I get it happening at super slow speed, but not at 30 mph

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks for the help, however, my issue is that when turning right, the bars turn right. Even at medium speed. I get it happening at super slow speed, but not at 30 mph
At low speeds the countersteering force on the handlebars needed to make a turn is so subtle that it is hidden by the continuous corrections that are made in balancing the bike, so it drops below the rider's threshold of perception making it barely noticeable.

As speed increases, the countersteering needed to counter the gyroscopic effects of the rotating wheels increases.

In other words, at low speeds, the steering torque necessary from the rider is usually negative, that is opposite the direction of the turn, even when the steering angle is in the direction of the turn. At higher speeds, the direction of the necessary input torque often becomes positive, that is, in the same direction as the turn.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts