Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a full clutch upgrade....the old one was shot. I purchased an aluminum clutch hub and am not quite sure what stock hub mounting pieces to keep. There is a serrated washer, center nut, bug spider washer, and sleeve (the sleeve goes on before the nut and then the nut tightens down on this. When I put these pieces on the new aluminum hub the sleeve does not even come close to tightening down on the big spider washer. On LT's site he says that the only parts needed are the serrated washer and the nut do I tried that. Tightened down the out lip of the nut does not contact the new hub like it did the old one. There is quite a bit of space whereas on the old hub this would press against the big spider washer.

Any ideas?

LT is out for a week.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I just purchased a full clutch upgrade....the old one was shot. I purchased an aluminum clutch hub and am not quite sure what stock hub mounting pieces to keep. There is a serrated washer, center nut, bug spider washer, and sleeve (the sleeve goes on before the nut and then the nut tightens down on this. When I put these pieces on the new aluminum hub the sleeve does not even come close to tightening down on the big spider washer. On LT's site he says that the only parts needed are the serrated washer and the nut do I tried that. Tightened down the out lip of the nut does not contact the new hub like it did the old one. There is quite a bit of space whereas on the old hub this would press against the big spider washer.

Any ideas?

LT is out for a week.

Loren
You have a spider spring on it? That is for a slipper clutch if you do. That will be a different hub that you need if you have a slipper clutch. What bike do you have? Does the spider "washer" look like this: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=442%7CDucati&productID=1723&showDetail=1&categoryID=444|Clutch%20Parts&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=165%7CClutch

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 97 916. It's not really a spider spring. More of a big washer that goes around the hub posts and is held in place by the stock locking collar. I have attached a pic of the stock hub as well as locking collar and big washer. I installed the new aluminum hub using just the serrated washer and stock nut just to see if it made sense (did not use big washer or locking collar). I installed the rest of the new clutch which included an STM pressure plate (pic attached) and STM center bushing (pic attached).

Everything seemed to go together except that the new STM center bushing is pretty loose around the clutch rod. When the engine is running and you press in the clutch it almost seem like there is some wobble when looking at the clutch due to this. Anyone else seen this? I have attached the stock bushing as well.

Just want to make sure I get it correct.

Loren

Attachments

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The "spider" washer he is probably referring to is the thrust washer.....that goes first, then the "O" ring, then the large bushing which fits into the thrust washer, the you need to fit the centering pin to your drive hub, then that serrated safety washer, followed by the nut. The spider washer thing fits into the clutch hub....the 6 scalloped areas on this washer fit within the 6 hub "fingers" on which the springs will slide onto after the pressure plate, actuating rod are installed. Hope this helps?

JEFF

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is correct. But the new hub does not have a locking pin and the large bushing does not lock down the thrust washer on the new hub. I installed it with just the nut and serrated washer. Have not ridden it yet. If I don't get an answer from the board then I will probably wait until LT gets back in around a week (yikes that is a long time).

Any one have this install?

Any one running the STM center bushing and notice that it is a very loose fit on the clutch rod?

Loren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts