Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so im sure theres post already for all this but i couldn't find or didn't search hard enough so i apologize if theres repeats but i need some help with my 02 monster 750. not sure how to describe the issue so i will try my best. my bike randomly losses power and lunges me forward, i hear a click from the engine and immediately does it. but when i say random i mean random i could go an hour riding and it wont happen. i could stop at a store turn it back on and ride back home and it could do it 10 times within a half hour ride. the lunge isn't anything crazy its a slight lunge but it can be nerve wreaking when im hugging corners and it does it (first time it happened to me was during a mountain run). i brought it to the shop multiple times first was sprocket and chain (needed to be changed anyways) they told me everything is fine i told them go again and take it for a longer ride and they called me back saying im right. they checked fuel system, vacuums, and couple other things and now they are saying its possible my guides need to be all done....thats an arm and leg lol and even then there not sure if thats the cause. my bike also has a idle issue where it low idles and they said the guides will fix that. but has anyone else had this problem? has 15k miles on it and for the price there asking its looking like i can just buy an engine and install for less. but is there a guide for doing all my valves? any special tools? also i kind of want to keep my bike all original its the senna edition and if theres any value later on for keeping it original i would love that but thats a matter of opinion. if the value looks like it wont hold then i am all for swapping everything and even painting the chassis red to match rims (idk if anyone has ever done that i think it would add more pop but is there a photo out there? lol) but yea help please XD thanks

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
With only 15000 miles on the bike there are many things that should not be an issue, and bad guides is one of them. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it is unlikely. From your description, are you saying it's as if someone turned the key off and back on while riding, casing the bike to lunge as it shuts off and restarts ? That is my understanding of what you're saying. If so, I would guess electrical. Has it happened at night and, if so, did the lights go out ? Electrical, maybe ignition switch. The first thing you can do if I seem to be on the right track is examine the wiring yourself, look for anything that doesn't seem right, bare wires, burnt wires, corroded or lose connections. Don't forget inside the headlight and under the seat. Unplug connections, spray them with wd40 or such , plug them in a few times to clean them. Check the wires to your fuel pump. Check your fuses for good clean connections. Even if you're not an expert you can inspect everything for signs of something not right. This could be a small thing. That's a low mileage bike, nothing should be worn out.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I agree with duc96cr.

Based upon personal experience, I would look at the connector 10" / 250 mm or so up from the side/kick stand switch.

All contacts/pins were corroded and would intermittently cut off the engine as the ECU was sensing (due to corrosion) that the switch was open and hence the stand down, thus cutting the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't done night riding with it so im not sure if my lights cut out. If it was the wiring as if it was being turned on and off wouldn't the time frame i loose power vary? because it is very quick like a second each time. ummmm a little more to the description is it can repeatedly click (noise) and cut out back to back or once every now and then also i notice it more during higher rpms or cruising highway/backroads but can happen at lower speeds as well just not as often. but i will inspect the wiring i just have to steal it back from the shop because im on a long waiting list to get it looked at again

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
When do you hear the click?

Is it after the engine has cut out, then you hear the click then it runs again?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
No idea without hearing the click.

It must be very loud if you can hear it whilst the engine is running and you are riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i will try to get the bike back sometime this week and check out wiring and go from there ...at times like this a go pro would be good to just record the problem

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
yea i will try to get the bike back sometime this week and check out wiring and go from there ...at times like this a go pro would be good to just record the problem
or a cell/mobile phone with sound recording.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the news on my bike went from bad to shit the bed....so pissed....the shop that was going to work on it ...there ceiling collapsed (no one was hurt) but my bike was damaged along with a select few. and now the insurance does not want to pay for all the damages because it goes over what my bike value is............................................................................idk anymore man so done

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well let me correct that either get skimpy check for what my bike is worth or fix selet few things up to the amount they are willing to pay..

·
comrade moderator
26,772 Posts
What. The. Hell. :surprise:

My first thought is "Lawyer Up!", but that costs money. Maybe take the cash-out...but fight them and never take their first (or second, or third) offers.

Oh man...unbelievable. Good luck with this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i have no clue anymore like if i lawyer up there goes my vacation money and i already paid tickets and hotel lol (well not lol but yea)
but if i cash out such a big loss on my end the headaches are just beginning and thanks i need it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts