Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PO had the lever adjusted way too high and I'd like to drop it about an inch, if possible.

Just installed a new rear caliper, so now's the time. No fluid in the system yet.

Can someone please explain the correct procedure for lowering the lever? I found the shop manual very vague. I've also read all the threads about rear brakes locking, catching on fire, etc. after adjustment, so I'm a bit cautious.

Best (or even possible) to adjust before adding fluid or has to be done with fluid/bleed?

I have the nut on top that looks like it can only move back towards the cylinder. Then, of course the stop screw for the brake switch. I can see how this one works, but not sure about the top adjustment for the cylinder.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
And then you need to adjust the lower bit that activates the brake light.
MY question is, How do I get some appreciable play in that rear brake pedal. Soon as I touch it the brakes activate.
Maybe that's just the way it is? Not good feel to that back brake.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
And then you need to adjust the lower bit that activates the brake light.
MY question is, How do I get some appreciable play in that rear brake pedal. Soon as I touch it the brakes activate.
Maybe that's just the way it is? Not good feel to that back brake.
Huh? your rear brake works THAT well ?? Most folks believe the rear brakes are under-performing on our ST's (and other models).

We believe it's so that you WON'T lock the rear, and have it slide-out from you...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Huh? your rear brake works THAT well ?? Most folks believe the rear brakes are under-performing on our ST's (and other models).

We believe it's so that you WON'T lock the rear, and have it slide-out from you...
I didnt say it works good, but I guess it's OK ish. The problem is, push it about 2mm and it's on. About 3mm it's on full. No feel at all. It's like it isn't even moving. I am just applying pressure to a stump sticking out.
I am not in love with this rear brake.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so this is backwards from what the service manual indicates.

According to manual, adjust the lower stop first (that activates the brake switch/light) to move the lever up/down. Then if needed, adjust the upper part connected to the master to address free-play.

Per Tripod, I see now the nut on the upper/master section is a jam nut. Just not sure how to turn that threaded rod, which direction to turn it, and how much free-play is recommended or required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts