Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
You might try riding them and then tell me what you think. I don't believe those graphs, I can tell you the bikes I rode would not have graphs like that.
The 1098 is also geared lower making it “feel” more powerful. A well sorted 996-998 will hold it’s own in the real world. It’s rider skill more than power. And dare I say, on the track as well.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,071 Posts
A well prepped and ridden 999 will kill both of them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd second what BBradsby said. I had a base model 2008 1098 for 8 years and I loved it. When I finally broke down and traded it in, I began to regret it because I couldn't really find anything that had the same feel and appeal, so to speak. A few years later I decided to pick up a second bike and, after riding all kinds of stuff - Super Duke R, S1000RR, Panigale etc. I ended up finding a great deal on a used 1198SP and knew the instant I took it for a spin that it was the one I wanted.

I don't think you'll go wrong with a 1098 (I loved mine) but, the 1198 is definitely a step up in performance and the extra power is very noticeable.

·
Bon Vivant
10,290 Posts
With these bikes on the track or racing it always comes down to rider skill, an expert on a 250 can smoke an average guy on the track with a literbike. That is not what we are talking about here, we are talking about how these bike feel and what you get with each type of bike. (as opposed to how a "well ridden" anything can do) In my experience and personal opinion the 10/1198 bikes are the all-around most fun, comfortable, streetable, and capable superbikes from Ducati to date. The panigales are better race bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With these bikes on the track or racing it always comes down to rider skill, an expert on a 250 can smoke an average guy on the track with a literbike. That is not what we are talking about here, we are talking about how these bike feel and what you get with each type of bike. (as opposed to how a "well ridden" anything can do) In my experience and personal opinion the 10/1198 bikes are the all-around most fun, comfortable, streetable, and capable superbikes from Ducati to date. The panigales are better race bikes.
I second that. I put close to 18,000 miles on my 1098 , all on the street. A very well designed , good looking and problem free bike (for me).

The only thing it did was eat tires for breakfast and pollute the world with un real amounts of dry clutch music !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all the replies guys it is very much appreciated!

I look forward to riding one of these bikes. I totally agree with you guys on the S1000RR being NUMB. I had the electronic suspension on mine and while it handled great it seemed to give you absolutely 0 feedback through the bars. I took it through the twisties quite a bit but really just was trusting the suspension and electronics as you really had no feel on what the bike was doing or where the limit was. I just figured it was so far above my riding skills that I wasn't approaching where it would give me "feel".

I do really like the 1098 Tri its just a stunning bike to me. I also like the 1199 Tri. I have looked at just bending over and getting a 1299S aswell just due to it being the last big twin it would seem Ducati will make. I have looked at the 959 and followed the V2. I am not a huge fan of the V4 styling on the V2 and it seems that the liter bikes hold their value a lot better? I almost bought an 848 Evo along time ago but seems like in a few years they are scary cheap. I know all sport bikes lose value quite quickly but seems like the smaller Ducatis just crater in value. I wouldn't be against a used one.

I did find a 1098 Tri close to me and went to look at it and the rear wheel was BENT so thats my luck!

If I go the 1098/1198 route what mileage would you guys say is reasonable? Do they come up in good shape? Will owners ever take them to a dealer for inspection? I just would hate to buy one and then get a LEMON lol. Its why part of me just has looked at 1299S as its new and probably young enough it hasn't had a bunch of hacks working on it or track ratting it.

For the Pane owners whats the big difference with the 1199 vs 1299 is feel? Is the people saying the 1199 frame is super stiff overblown?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m sort of in the same boat—just sold my 2007 1098, loved the bike but tired of the excessive vibration at low RPM. Can I expect more of the same with a Panigale 1299? That’s sort of where I’m looking but may also consider 1198SP—I’m tall and need room. Main thing I’m wanting is a little more safety net—ABS/traction control...

Also, my 1098 had full race exhaust with cat delete; bike ran fairly cool. Are all Panigales going to run hot because of the curved header right under the seat, even with a full cat-delete exhaust fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
What is fair price on a clean 1199S or 1299S? If they have been tracked would you pass or are they built to withstand that kind of usage with no issues?

I am looking between that and 1098S. If I am honest I don't know that I want a 170Hp bike with no electronics I don't know that I am a good enough rider to not do something ham fisted sometime. I have been riding for 15 years but mostly around town and few safety courses but when dealing with superbikes sometimes I like the electronics to cancel surprises.

What is the big difference with the R bikes? I have read they have Ti con rods and CF fairings? Is there more to them?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts