Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up my first Ducati probably in the spring. I have been riding for about 15 years and had several other sport bikes R1, S1000RR etc but have always lusted after a Ducati. Kinda a dream bike for me.

I really like the Tri Color Paint Work on the 1098 and 1199. I was leaning towards possibly an 1199 due to it being a bit newer but seems alot of people kinda dog on the 1199s stiff chassis? I am a road rider that really just wants one to ride around town and take to the twisties and to enjoy in the garage. I am not opposed to trying to find a 1299S either. I like the look of the forged wheels especially the Gold wheels on the 1098S.

Is the 1098 reliable enough and modern enough not to give tons of headaches? I know when the 1199 came out it seemed like people felt like they had made a large leap in reliability. Is the 1299 that huge of a step up from the 1199? Whats the better road bike for just around town? I have read the newer bikes aren't as torquey down low? I would probably put couple thousand miles a year on it is all as I have other bikes.

Can someone give me what a fair price would be on a 1098 or 1199 Tricolor in good shape? Same with 1299S? I have seen wildly fluctuating prices being asked for them even with seeming close mileage and condition?

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Ducati. Making mechanics out of men for the last 50 years.
All the bikes you listed have their idiosyncrasies and problems. You’re going to get many opinions here so I may as well be the first to hand one out.
Any of the bike that have low’ish kms AND have been looked after will do you. Personally I’d go for a low km 1098 base. Cheaper than a “S” and just as good. Don’t get hung up on fancy suspension, wheels or power.
Let the opinions roll in😃

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I figured! I just have heard people say the 1098 has more down low power than the newer bikes for whatever reason.

·
1,720 Posts
The torque would be among the least noticeable differences between the newer and 1098 era bikes: frame vs frameless, dry vs wet, electronic vs mechanic, V2 vs V4 and etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Thats why I figured I would ask the enthusiasts on this board since I can't hope to ride them all to make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
the panigale twin is a short stroke motor designed to make good high rpm power. as such, it should have less low rpm power than a 1198. as an aside, due to the long single section of exhaust on the 10/1198, the 1098 in particular is lacking in the midrange anyway. a good 996 will outdo a 1098 up to 7k. but the 1908 chassis was a real improvement - much lighter in particular.

anyway, things that may be in your mind decision wise.

electronics. year model is the factor here - the later the model, the more electronics. on that front, the new pani v2 with the "little" motor is probably the best panigale twin in terms of a bike to own and actually ride as fast as your brain will allow.

ego. if your ego needs a 1299, buy a 1299. most people would ride an 899/959 faster than a 1299, but whatever floats your boat. be honest here. buy the bike you want. and, if you need to, have the courage to admit you've bought the wrong thing.

price. model and year model in reverse. buy a 1098, fix the suspension, set it up to suit you, give it the berries and be happy. 848 will be cheaper again.

ohlins ttx suspension is by design harsher than the older ones, so that's how they'll ride somewhat in less than sporty conditions.

i only ride around town these days, and in those conditions the 1199 is fucking horrid. high idle speed, hot, surgy. the slowest one will go is 18km/h, and if you run into something the idle valve will open to try to push it out of the way. just yucky yucky yuck. 1098 has the lowest idle speed, and is a bit less aggressive than the 1198 in how it rides.

again, the littlies are nicer bikes imo - 848, 899, 959. and can be ridden without frustration of not being able to open the throttle. they're still plenty fast.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My turn.....
The 1098 series are awesome bikes, the S has ohlins which to be fair is only OK, certainly not what bespoke aftermarket stuff of any decent brand will provide, but, nothing factory fitted is, the forged wheels are nice though...
A good 1098 or 1098S will serve you well, look for one with a good service history and generally the more fastidious the owner the better the bike, avoid mods, a decent exhaust is the exception to that rule....

The Panigales are different, coming from what you have ridden you may like them but to me they lack a bit of personality, not as grunty off the bottom but insanely fast in the upper ranges, i've only tried the 1199, i shudder to think how fast the 1299 or V4 are....

I'm not bragging here, but i own a 1098R, it's an ex superbike and just stupid fast, i love it, i really do, but it is more bike than i could ever use, great for attention, the noise it makes is insane, it sounds SO pissed off it gives me a woody, but i need more from a bike than that, not that i'd sell it..... The more i need is less, belter is right, the smaller versions are nicer bikes, i've ridden a mates 959 and it is the nicest bike! sounds great, rides nice, handles and is plenty fast enough, not fast enough to satisfy, fast enough to scare you, kill you, get you locked up fast enough, but it's not too much, it's usable, enjoyable, you can take it for a ride rather than the bike taking you.

As for reliability, i've had everything from a bevel, to belt drive air cooled SS's and monsters, desmoquattros, and the testastretta evoluzione (1098R & Diavel) and none have ever given me any grief worth moaning about, the occasional reg/rec on my 888 but the R i've had for 9 years, and the Diavel for 8, no trouble at all from either. Reliability on a Ducati is no more an issue than it is on a Yamaha or BMW, service them as per the schedule and you're fine....

After all that waffle.......
Buy a really well kept mint 1098S Tricolor, cause that's what you want
or, if you can't find one or wait
Buy a 959, in the Corse colours with a full Akrapovic system and rear peg/seat delete, you will thank me later.....

·
Bon Vivant
10,288 Posts
I've owned a 1098R, 1098S, and panigale tricolore S and from my experience the 1098 will absolutely stomp the pani in the low RPMs, the difference isnt just a little, its HUGE! As has been said any Ducati that you buy will have little things that are frustrating, heat, fueling, wire ties that you dont like ( yes we had an owner on here complaining about nylon wire tie straps) so you have to be a little more tolerant to own and enjoy a duc.

You didnt say anything about riding comfort and lets face it none of these bikes are very comfortable to ride for any distance on the street, but in my experience the panigale feels more comfortable for people who are under 5'10" tall. I'm 6'2" so the 1098 is more comfortable for me. I was very cramped on the pani and didnt like it much.

I like bikes with big torque cause I dont ride around at 10,000 RPM so I dont buy middleweights, if I were going to just use it for track days I'd get an 848 or 959 or another middle weight bike. (and BTW the idea that a 996 has a stronger mid rpm than a 1098 is just wishfull thinking - the 1098 is worlds better than the 996 from idle to redline)

I think loony888 is right, from what you described the 1098 tricolore will suite you best; best torque in class, most beautiful of the bunch, easy to live with, and a hell of a lot of fun to ride. And after the 1098R it's still my all time favorite sportbike (and its better than the R on the street for everyday use).

one more thing: Ducs are really very reliable but maintenance on all of these bike is expensive so be ready for that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I can't speak for the 1199 onwards, having never ridden any of them.

But to observe what journalists have posted upon their introduction, these later bikes' torque characteristics were re-calibrated to gain power at ever higher RPMs more than at the lower rev range. This was a new engine design manifesto compared with the 1198 and before - Since the 1198 was the last of the low-end torque-focused Superbike engines, it is the penultimate Stonkmonster! Pure evil. Who cares if a 12XX can dust it on-track - the bike is good for around 200 mph. I wouldn't know.. I've yet to have this bike on a track, sad to say.

As to chassis, any stock/base Duc Superbike, when compared to any other non-italian stock/base sportbike, will give you carnal knowledge of what the bike is doing with the roadway at a whole new level. This assumes suspension is tuned to your weight & riding style, for any bike for that matter. The other two bikes in your OP are known to handle well. The Bimmer I've ridden, and it did handle extremely well. But felt ZERO feedback, so low confidence, after you've piloted a Ducati Superbike in the corners with ill intent. The other bike's owner came away with the same analysis. Sadly. Ditto some years back with A-B testing between my 996 and a much ballyhoo'd Honda super/litrebike. Comparatively, these other bikes feel like there's mashed potatoes somewhere in the line between the handlebars and the road.

As you said you're a road rider, but with litrebike experience, I'd say go for at least a 1198, with 2011 being the sweet spot because even the base model has traction control and quick shifter for that year only. It's 170 HP hits hard from low RPM, but keeps on giving til close to redline. Go later if you dont need the low end stonk as much, are cool with an engine with a less rough & raw character, and feel the need to brag about 200+ HP. Keep an eye out for juicy bits like full exhaust systems and Ohlins suspenders. If the damper isn't Ohlins, that would be my first recommendation.

Buy a bike with service history, documented, or your bank account may suffer. Know the full service cost & mileage intervals for any bike you're serious about. Negotiate accordingly. Test ride as many different Superbikes as you can to get to know their different characteristics. They're all brilliant.

Main thing is ride what blows your skirt up.

·
Bon Vivant
10,288 Posts
The reason I would go for a 2007/8 1098 is because of the DP ECU, it works like a race tune should. After 08 the performance ECU's became emissions compliant and ran just as poorly as the stock ECU. Yes you can get a decent tune for them if you are careful and you know what your doing but 90% of the bikes out there have a DP ECU or DP map copied from a DP ECU installed with the performance exhaust and it just plain sucks. A quick shifter is nice on the track and the early bikes do have TC, but if I'm riding on the street I'd rather have a bike that has good fueling.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hmm, my 1198 burns fuel beautifully. I can thank Scott at Desmoto in SF for that. And I get lots of enjoyment from the quick shifter on the street while dispatching brats in Porsches or WRX's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
For 2011 only, the "Base" model 1198 came with traction control and quick shift. Prior to that year, these were R or S? Model features only. I've made good use of both on the street - the former quite unexpectedly when I hit a wet leaves patch hidden in dappled shade/sunlight while motoring through a bend in no particular hurry. The TC saved me a bruising and some expensive bike repairs in the same split second it took me to realize what was happening.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You might try riding them and then tell me what you think. I don't believe those graphs, I can tell you the bikes I rode would not have graphs like that.
i've ridden and dyno'd quite a few of each, and that's how they feel to me in terms of engine characteristics. 1098 is overall faster because it's quite a bit lighter. but it has a comparative midrange hole.

maybe you've never ridden a good 996?

·
Bon Vivant
10,288 Posts
i've ridden and dyno'd quite a few of each, and that's how they feel to me in terms of engine characteristics. 1098 is overall faster because it's quite a bit lighter. but it has a comparative midrange hole.

maybe you've never ridden a good 996?
Well there you go, graph doesn't show power to weight and how that equates to actual seat of the pants feel and acceleration. Regardless, the 1098 is a better bike in every way and the only way I'd buy a 916 series over a 1098 series is for the sake of nostalgia.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dude , Just get a gently used 1098 Tricolore , It's what you really want. The most gorgeous of the Tricolore models in my opinion. Also it's a straight up analog bike. The last of the honest bikes with no nannies. Not sure what the price would be but good base model 1098s can be had for 7500 or so. Maybe another 5k or so for a Tricolore unless its stupid low miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts