Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 996 SPS... been on the battery tender since ? Oct (last track day)...

I went out in the last few minutes to fire up the S2R1K and the SPS... let 'em warm up 'cuz its been about a week since they've roared to life.

S2R wa sslow to fire but woke up ... happy me

SPS... headlight comes on, fuel pump primes.... but bike will not turn over

WTF ?

-Cant find my ohm meter to check the battery... but the headlight comes on and pump primes

Then i notice that the light on my battery tender is not on... nor does it come on to let me know its charging..

Possible dead battery/low battery and wont turn/crank bike ?

suggestions/thoughts ????

Thx mucho

Lawbreaker

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If it is a Shorai battery, they really suck in the cold. I installed a new one then just before a trip to North Carolina and I had to jump my bike every morning. (pretty damn embarrassing).

t_bare

·
Registered
961 Posts
Can you swap battery tenders between bikes to check the tender? The thyristor dies in them and will do what you described. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it is a Shorai battery, they really suck in the cold. I installed a new one then just before a trip to North Carolina and I had to jump my bike every morning. (pretty damn embarrassing).

t_bare
I have the same problem if I load te bikes on the trailer the night before a track day; however, if you turn on the headlights ( or in my case turn on the manual fan switch ) for a couple of minutes things dramatically improve.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Can you swap battery tenders between bikes to check the tender? The thyristor dies in them and will do what you described. Process of elimination.
Can you swap batteries or at least hook up the other bikes battery some how?
Might give you an idea if the existing batt in the SPS is dead.
I bought a PEAK 600amp Jump box last spring. When it's cold out and it's weeks between rides on my 999, it's a bear to start. Especially after I added an overbore kit w/ HC pistons. The box was extremely inexpensive, has a built in motorcycle battery and jump starter clamps. I simply remove my fairing, clip on the leads and start the bike. It spins it up faster and places less drain on the battery in my 999. When it warmer out and I'm riding it more I don't need it..
Can you outfit your Duc with a switch gear that enables you to turn off the headlights before you start the engine....I think it's called a Euro style switch gear.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Can you hear the solenoid clicking? If the fuel pump comes on and the solenoid only clicks and doesn't spin over the starter motor then you have a weak battery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am having the same problem with my '99 996. I just installed a new Shorai battery to replace an old dead battery but now she won't start. The solenoid clicks and there is power to the starter but the starter does not spin the engine. I have been all through the bike at this point, grounds, fuses etc. and everything looks good. My plan today is to replace all he relays and see if that helps. Next thoughts would be a bad starter or battery??? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
...Also had the battery on a trickle charger overnight, no joy. Fuel pump does cycle and lights do come on. I also have a euro switch on this bike so draw from the headlight shouldn't be a concern.

Would like to be out riding, the weather is too nice to be in the garage...

Can you hear the solenoid clicking? If the fuel pump comes on and the solenoid only clicks and doesn't spin over the starter motor then you have a weak battery.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Anyone with a 996 who hasn't replaced the 3 battery cables....DO IT. Mine was miserable to start even with a fully charged battery... Replaced the three cables and now it starts if you breath on it..... I was surprised and very pleased.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am having the same problem with my '99 996. I just installed a new Shorai battery to replace an old dead battery but now she won't start. The solenoid clicks and there is power to the starter but the starter does not spin the engine. I have been all through the bike at this point, grounds, fuses etc. and everything looks good. My plan today is to replace all he relays and see if that helps. Next thoughts would be a bad starter or battery??? Any help would be much appreciated.
Can you bypass the solenoid and power the starter motor directly? Short the two big lugs on the back of the starter solenoid with a large insulated screw driver - there will be some sparks. It is possible for the solenoid to click but not function. It would also be helpful to put a voltmeter on the battery and see how low the voltage drops when you push the starter button. What Shorai battery did you you purchase for your bike?

·
Registered
794 Posts
...Also had the battery on a trickle charger overnight, no joy. Fuel pump does cycle and lights do come on. I also have a euro switch on this bike so draw from the headlight shouldn't be a concern.

Would like to be out riding, the weather is too nice to be in the garage...
Shorai sells a special charger for their batteries. Using the wrong charger could be a bad idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look

I would pull the battery and the tray and look for any dodgy or burnt connectors. This was a problem on the older 748 and 916. Dont know if they fixed it for the 996.

And replace your battery cables. It helps a lot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was worried about the charger too so I called Shorai last week and gave them the info, they gave me the green light on the charger.

The battery is a LFX18L1-BS12.

I will try bypassing the solenoid tomorrow and give an update. I checked the voltage with a voltmeter a few weeks back when this started and everything checked fine up to the starter. I will sit down with it again tomorrow and post so numbers.

I don't even get a slow crank but there seems to be power to the rest of the bike.

Again, all the help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have an LFX14L2-BS12 in my 916 and it is plenty; yours has a higher capacity so seems correct.

Fill us in after you do some more investigating.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
My guess is that the white connector plug which provides power from the start button to the starter motor relay (the white plug on the back of the starter relay between the two terminal lugs) has a bad connection.

Give it a good push into place and hit the start button. My bet is that she'll fire right up...

·
Registered
794 Posts
My guess is that the white connector plug which provides power from the start button to the starter motor relay (the white plug on the back of the starter relay between the two terminal lugs) has a bad connection.

Give it a good push into place and hit the start button. My bet is that she'll fire right up...
I hope you're right, but I believe the OP said the solenoid clicks when pushing the starter button, which should indicate that the white connector plug to the solenoid is in place.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, it had been a long week. I should be able to get out to the garage with the voltmeter and have some numbers tomorrow.

The plug from the ignition switch into the solenoid is secure, was there a long time ago but thank you for the idea. Would have been nice if it was that easy...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Check the voltage between GND and all the points, 1,2,3,4 to see if you have a drop in the voltage somewhere. 3 and 4 will only have voltage on them, when your trying to start.

Also, you can bypass the solenoid by connecting a starter cable from 1 to 4 directly, to see if the starter will spin, if it does, your problem is with the solenoid; if not, then you problem could be the starter.

I made a fancy picture with paint, 'cause I'm bored at work.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was finally able to get to the bike with a voltmeter. Power is good all the way to the starter with no drops along the way. In fact there is no change all along the path. When the 'start' button is pressed power passes through the solenoid/switch to the starter but there is no reaction from the starter at all. At this point I am guessing what I suspected all along, that the starter is bad. Would still like it to be a bad relay somewhere...

Well if anyone has an extra starter (good and cheap) or another idea, I'd love to hear from you...

Also I have some questions about the relays maybe someone can anwser. The two relays under the seat are all five pronged with four wires. The one to the left of the battery box is again five pronged with the same pattern, but five wires. I put any relay in by the battery box but the original one and the bike seems to have no electrical power at all. With the original in place the fuel pump will prime and lights come on but nothing happens with the start button is pushed. I'm really at my wits end with this but just don't want to be installing a new starter with no change to the problem...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts