Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello group. .Long time no post! I have an old user name on here it was "topdeadcenter" however i no longer have email access to get my password reset.. anyhow I am in southwest florida.. Long story short, my ex g/f took back my 749 last april. (loan was in her name). I am finally getting it back. I went to pick it up the other night and put in a new battery, and got it to start right up after sitting in her garage for the last 7 months. It was only ridden from her old house to new house since she "repo'd" it.. (15 miles). I put it in gear and let the clutch out and NOTHING!!! the clutch just slips like a SOB.. The clutch pack that is in there only has about 4k miles on it. it does have an open cover.. I have searched and read, and searched. and I haven't found anyone with a similar issue. I went thru the "checking of EOBD codes" and there aren't any fault codes in the ECU.. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Remove the clutch cover and pressure plate. Check your clutch pack to see if she sprayed a lubricant in there out of spite...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, actually she wouldn't nor did she.. the loan is in HER name.. and she had been trying to sell it for the past year she has had in her possession. I couldn't get a neutral light the first night i went to get it, but now I can get a neutral light and i put in gear it is wanting to go .. you can watch the pressure plate load up and hear it.. if you hold the front brake it stalls out .. but as you rev it , you can also hear the plates rubbing together.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Florida humidity combined with open clutch cover, I am guessing the plates are rusted together.
Base on your last comment that the bike feels like it just wants to go even with the clucth pulled in, it sounds like some plates are rusted together.
Remove clutch pack and inspect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is what i am hoping.. i am taking the cover off this evening and going to remove the plates, and clean the frictions and sand the steels a bit and see what goes then.. i already have another set of Barnett "pro series" plates on order.. Despite the negative talk by alot of people I have had No issue with those plates . I do have a YoYoDyne full slipper with titanium springs though as well.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Her new boyfriend has been doing burnouts and wore the clutch out. Alright, that was mean, but the stack height may be too low causing the pressure plate to hang up on the clutch drum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL.. too funny.. actually the irony in that was great.. because right after we split last april , she ended up with a "friend" of mine. he rode the bike from the shop where it was getting new chain and sprockets to their house.. then it didn't get rode again until it went from there to her new house 7 or 8 months ago.. and it has been sitting since then.. he hated the bike.. he has a gixxxxeerrr..!!!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, update. I pulled the plates last night.. all like 6 billion of them!! .. j/k. like 18 i think or close to it.. cleaned them up.. really rusty, and the retaining springs were rusted into the pressure plate.. put it all back together, bled the clutch at the slave cylinder.. and still the same. it wants to "go" a little more than before but still not rideable. :(

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
if you can find another steel plate, add it to the end of the stack next to the pressure plate. Should cure it. Also, be sure to bleed the master cylinder via the 6mm bolt inside the reservoir

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, um any steel plate? LOL.. it is a saturday of course and I don't have my old plates.. so, adding a a plate will take up the difference of room inside the basket to allow the clutch to fully engaged?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Plates will be there middle of next week, sent one each of 1, 1.5, 2mm steel plates....

Assuming you have a stock clutch, from the inside working out:

Steel, Friction, (alternate), Curved/Dished steel (middle-ish of stack), end with two steel plates nearest the pressure plate. Measure stack, should be 36-38mm

Keep your old steel plates, especially the odd-sized ones I sent; use them for shims.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts