Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why won't the bike start? I have no idea. Parked it one day, no problems. Now it won't start. Cranks pretty good but doesn't start.

I trickle charged it for a day and it didn't work. Then put a real charger on it and i can hear the battery making noise as it's charging. Is that bad?

I crank it and then when I stop I can hear sucking in the gas tank. Is the pump sucking air and gas and having a hard time or what? It is like a slurping noise. Tank is full, not even half empty. Bike is on stand, not upside down or anything LOL!

Please help guys!

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got poured on twice in one night a month ago, going to and coming from the tuesday meet in chicago but it's run fine since then.

What would be a problem and what do i check for you?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So inside the tank? I will have to pull tank and remove pump? that's a PITA, No? I have only pulled up the tank to change plugs and wires once.

I think if I read correctly, there is an expensive o-ring that has to be searched high and low for and paid an arm and a leg for when replacing the pump?

Can air get into the pump and cause problems? I thought I remember reading that and that is why I brought up the sucking sound...

Or you're saying that sound may be the cracked line?

What do lines do inside the tank? Just ensure the fuel is picked up at the very bottom? I'd think the pump would suck from the lowest point, it's at the rear and seems the lowest point to me...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I opened the tank and then tried starting. I'm not getting bubbles or froth as I read in one thread. Just a vibration that disturbs the surface of the fuel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yes it's running. pulled the tank and turned it around (damn hoses don't stay but they're back now).

looked down inside top stack while key was on, pushing starter button and twisting throttle- fuel is spraying in. well, not a high powered mist but little drops shooting straight across.

what gives?

i swapped ECU, no help. the dot cut is supposed to face to the left as you are sitting on bike, right?

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dad's going to stop by tomorrow or soon and help me push start it.

We're going to push from both sides and I'm just going to pop the clutch and then immediately pull in, right, hoping it fires up?

Anything to pay atttention for?

·
Registered
347 Posts
try a different battery 1st

I've heard of some lightweight batteries you can get for our bikes.

Get a dry-cell battery if you can.... don t know of any particular ones for our bikes tho but any generic dry-cell with the right size (length, width, height_ should work

·
Registered
347 Posts
here s the battery from motowheels.com

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=139|Ducati%20Electrical&productID=6222&showDetail=1&categoryID=141|Most%20Late%20Model%20Ducati%20Electrical&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=138|Electrical

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do I pull the plug wires from the coils and try to see if they can jump a spark? Take a bare ended wire from a frame point to the coil and see if it is sparking? If so, then go to the plug itself?

New plugs, a month or more old. New wires from TPO. The plugs are Denso Iridiums.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, both coils are throwing a spark. a nice one too- 3/8" long when near a frame bolt.

under the seat there are two relays- one on the left side and one on the right of center. upon ignition ON, the left one clicks on and when ignition is turned off, it clicks OFF. I'm assuming this is the fuel pump relay.

the one on the right clicks OFF a few seconds later, maybe 5 seconds after the left one. what is this?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Your fine, thats how it works... Thats the fuel prime switch.

Hmm, well... why doesn't it start?!?!? Sounds like everything is right.

I mean, when you turn it over, you can clearly see the spark and it looks like its in time right, not just flicking randomly?

If the spark looks ok and you've got fuel being sprayed down the throttle bodies... I mean, these bikes arn't rocket science. Throw a multi-meter on the battery output, does it read 13v or what? You can measure the voltage input to the ECU as well. If it checks out, man... you've got me confused, especially since you swapped out the ECU's.

If the voltage is low, but the current is OK, the bike might not run. I've had that problem before with the 748. Normally when batteries die, the current is the first thing to get whacked, so it wouldn't turn over properly, you'd hear it struggle to turn over the motor, which is obviously not what's happening. Anything below 11.5v and its risky...

Finally; Have you tried unplugging the Voltage regulator?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where am I checking voltage on the ECU? Which wires? I have a meter.

I'll check the battery too.

You say voltage and you also say current. Isn't current like the amperage? Can I check that or you're saying it may be too low and dead?

I'm gonna check two local places for batteries and try it out.

I have a feeling it is. It sounds like electricity from the chargers is just boiling the fluid inside.

Oh, spark is consistent (not constant) and looking to be timed correctly.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
fuel is spraying in. well, not a high powered mist but little drops shooting straight across.
That right there doesn't sound right. If you were hosing down the cylinders with gasoline it would definitely not start.

Your first post described a "gurgling" sound from the gas tank. I'm assuming that you know what the bike sounds like normally.

From way over here a thousand or so miles away, it sounds like fuel pressure. The assembly in the tank has an air seperator and a regulator in addition to the pump. Any of those things could affect pressure.

If I were you, I'd be getting a workshop manual for the bike and a fuel pressure guage. I have a Ducati manual myself. Some here have Haynes.

The one thing I must say I like about the Dcuati manual is they don't presume there is anything you won't attempt yourself. I have a haynes manual for my GMC Sierra that in some places reccomends "professional" service. Pisses me off. But it certainly has been useful. I've never had a non-factory motorcycle workshop manual.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts