Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

helmet recommendations

1279 7
sorry, new to the motorcycle thing. seems i say that alot on here :D

is there any real difference in safety between a $150 hjc and a $600 suomy? is there any need for an 1R rated helmet? the nice suomy's are kevlar i believe, i know that is lighter, but worth the $? or is it mostly a comfort thing? finally, what do some of you use and how do you like it. thanks, paul
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
stickcar1990 said:
sorry, new to the motorcycle thing. seems i say that alot on here :D

is there any real difference in safety between a $150 hjc and a $600 suomy? is there any need for an 1R rated helmet? the nice suomy's are kevlar i believe, i know that is lighter, but worth the $? or is it mostly a comfort thing? finally, what do some of you use and how do you like it. thanks, paul
Yes, there are differences - but try on as many brands as you can to see which matches your particular noggin... Also, my advice - don't buy a helmet that is too large, make sure it's really snug - it will bed in after a few hours wearing it.... Also, save some $$$ and forget the fancy graphics/paint and spend that money on a higher spec helmet.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If you don't at least try on a Scorpion you are doing yourself a HUGE injustice. Their sales pitch is "What's the difference between a Scorpion and a $600 helmet?? About $400 bucks!" And it's true.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. If all you're after is a very safe helmet in terms of head protection that coddles the brain upon impact, get a nice soft DOT non-Snell plastic helmet such as the Z1R Strike for less than $90. It had the BEST crash protection (lowest G force impact passed to the head of the many helmets tested in a recent, comprehensive helmet test against some expensive Snell rated helmets from major top-end brands). This test was an eye-opener for many people (myself included), who assumed the vaunted Snell ratings automatically meant another level of safety was provided.

Many of the Snell rated helmets are beautifully built, from the best materials, and feature many great features, great designs and graphics and excellent overall quality. But they are not automatically safer!

One must simply decide what you want the helmet for....and don't assume that the Snell rating automatically provides better protection for your head.

It's been pretty decisively proven that the SNELL standard detracts from the ability of the helmet to absorb the energy of a real-world blow to the head, by being far too stiff. If you really want one of those gorgeous, expensive high-quality helmets, then look for one that meets the ECE or BSI standards, rather than the Snell ratings.

Read here for a comprehensive article on all of the above....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

·
Banned
2,339 Posts
i have no experience with the Z1R strike so can't really comment, but i can say my arai is the most comfortable helmet for MY head. it's also extremely light, which pays dividends when 1000 klm days are on the agenda. while it's true that a cheaper helmet can provide adequate protection, a more expensive helmet, while providing similar levels of protection, do it with less weight, and the engineering that goes into that weight loss with safety is what costs. i have suffered a serious landing in a shoei where the shell was crushed on impact and i'm still here, so i can attest to the value of a good quality helmet.
as said previously, fit is MOST important, try on as many brands as possible, if you're like most, one brand will stand out as a great fit, err on the snug side as it will loosen with use, and if $$$ matter, buy the plain color over a race replica. like most things in life, i believe you get what you pay for, so once you decide on what you want, color, brand, and size, shop around, there's no point paying more than you have to for it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
forget about money....get what fits your melon correctly....what is more important?...protecting your melon or what is left in your wallet afterward?....because replacement heads don't come cheap!!!....I took my wife to 4 different dealers to try on helmets because they all carried different things....and got what fits her correctly...in the end...it ended up being an Arai Signet GT by mere happenstance...I guess I have a more generic head fitment compared to her...I have an Arai Quantum II,a Shoei X-Tec,and a Schuberth S1 (just recently picked it up on sale!)...and I wear them all for different reasons and different riding!....the point is though....fitment should be your number 1 priority...cause if it doesn't fit you correctly...then it isn't gonna do what it is designed to do to help in protecting you!

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Once you are looking at decent quality DOT-approved helmets, in my mind the ONLY consideration is comfort. A helmet that doesn't fit perfectly will make you miserable. I bought an HJC last year because the price was right and it fit "okay". Big mistake. I don't have an HJC head. I have a Shoei head, so I know I have an RF1000, and beautiful almost unsed HJC CL-14 sitting in the closet gathering dust.

·
Registered
457 Posts
YellowDuck said:
Once you are looking at decent quality DOT-approved helmets, in my mind the ONLY consideration is comfort. A helmet that doesn't fit perfectly will make you miserable. I bought an HJC last year because the price was right and it fit "okay". Big mistake. I don't have an HJC head. I have a Shoei head, so I know I have an RF1000, and beautiful almost unsed HJC CL-14 sitting in the closet gathering dust.

I did the same thing, HJC fit my head like a comfortable seat in a cadillac, Whereas my Shoei Bostrom fits snug like a seat in a Sports car.

*Side note* My wife has a Suomy Flowers, but she hardly rides, it was a waste of money.:( Should of got her the HJC.:D

I guess it depends on whether you were a c-section, natural, salad tonged, or Vaccuumed on your way out.:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.