Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have an extra one laying around? My bike didn't have one (2?) when I bought it.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
You can certainly have mine. I have, and never will, use it. I just need to remember where I stashed it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can certainly have mine. I have, and never will, use it. I just need to remember where I stashed it.

Have a good one.
Thanks Tony. I'll pm you my address.

Any reason why you don't like using it?

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I saw your PM.

I'd just won't let my helmet dangle off the side of the bike, even stationary. You never know if someone is going to mess with it. Also, I'm not sure how helmet straps are attached, but I can envision someone yanking on it for a quick swipe, being deterred by the cable, and then having an off with some unknown damage done to the strap. Yeah, sometimes I wear my tinfoil hat too much.

But then, a neighbor did trash his helmet in our not to hot summer weather by letting it bake on the bike for too long. The foam or the glue used to fasten it to the shell melted and was leaking out of the eyeport and neck roll.

In the end, I just either stash it in the top case or take it with me. I do miss how my old helmet fit in the side case, but it hasn't been an big issue.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
I use handcuffs if I don't want to take my helmet with me. One "hand" goes through the rear grab bar and the other goes through the helmet's D ring.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use handcuffs if I don't want to take my helmet with me. One "hand" goes through the rear grab bar and the other goes through the helmet's D ring.
There is a practical solution using what I already have available. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
You didn't work for the Old Bill (excuse the pun) did you? Like we all have handcuffs laying around our house, or are you just into a bit of bondage Bill! (Old Bill is Brit slang for Police)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem would be all US handcuffs for the most part use the same key.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you lock via d ring they will cut the straps for the helmet. Better to secure through chin guard

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
If you lock via d ring they will cut the straps for the helmet. Better to secure through chin guard
If they cut the straps, the helmet is worthless. I assume someone would want to steal the helmet for its value, not just to vandalize it.

It is true about all US handcuffs using the same key. I am betting that the causal, opportunistic thief is not carrying a handcuffs key with him, just like those who use a cable lock are betting the thief is not packing a pair of wirecutters.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, but you'd still be shocked at the number of dirt bags I've arrested that had one on them.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
If they cut the straps, the helmet is worthless. I assume someone would want to steal the helmet for its value, not just to vandalize it.

It is true about all US handcuffs using the same key. I am betting that the causal, opportunistic thief is not carrying a handcuffs key with him, just like those who use a cable lock are betting the thief is not packing a pair of wirecutters.
Afraid the 'brain-dead' that steal are the same 'brain-dead' without any common sense. Many years ago had both mine and my friends' helmets stolen when parked up in Amsterdam..........WTF ?

An expensive addition to a holiday on a budget.

I would not rely on the wire but you could use the u'lock under the seat if you still have it (with modified lock) to attach a lid ? Or there are some clever waterproof bags with an in-built wire mess than can be attached with a lock ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
if they cut the strap they can order a new one. I had my helmet cut from my bike before.

I was trying to figure out how to use the helmet cable. I'm pretty sure I'm just dumb...but how does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
279 Posts
you loop it through the D ring on the helmet strap (or the chinbar if it will reach) and then back onto the same clip as it starts from. helmet just dangles on the side.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Do you not still have the 'u' lock from under the seat , you could use that by passing through the chin-guard and through the rear grab rail.

The cable is pretty feable and will only stop the most uncommitted thief.
A small pair of wire cutters would have it cut in a jiffy with no damage to the helmet at all.

There is a water-proof wire netted bag on the market which can be secured using a variety of locks and would keep it a little bit safer whilst sacrificing only a little more space.

·
Registered
77 Posts
you loop it through the D ring on the helmet strap (or the chinbar if it will reach) and then back onto the same clip as it starts from. helmet just dangles on the side.
thanks for the reply. the cable is only attached under my passenger seat via a series of plastic clips; I don't think they would support the weight of the helmet at all. I also tried putting the loops around the metal locking post, but that didn't work either.

and I agree - it would be pretty easy to cut this little cable (you might even be able to do it with a decent pocket knife). I don't leave helmets on my bike any longer; but I do need to occasionally transport a helmet if I'm going to have a passenger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bicycle Cable

You could always try an old fashioned bicycle cable lock.
I go with the new fashioned bicycle cable lock, long enough to go through a jacket sleeve and pant leg too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts