Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let’s say money wasn’t a factor. Which helmet would you choose between the Shoei X-Twelve versus the Schuberth SR1? I want something that has great ventilation, comfortable to wear (kind of like an extension of my head), safe, and something that allows me to also hear my surroundings well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Shoei X-Twelve - Matte Black

Schuberth SR1 - Matte Black

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the RF1100. I just got it. Before that I was using a scorpion. I forget the model number. The RF1100 is nice and comfortable. Shield changes quick and easy and airflow seems good. I got the flat black.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My personal preference is Arai, but Shoei is probably just as good. I've never even heard of Schuberth, and based on that alone, I wouldn't go with that brand. Arai and Shoei have been around forever and I don't think you could go wrong with either one, especially from a safety perspective, which in my opinion is the most important factor in buying a helmet.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
My personal preference is Arai, but Shoei is probably just as good. I've never even heard of Schuberth, and based on that alone, I wouldn't go with that brand. Arai and Shoei have been around forever and I don't think you could go wrong with either one, especially from a safety perspective, which in my opinion is the most important factor in buying a helmet.
Schuberth is a German company that's been making helmets since 1954 (founded in 1922, whereas Shoei - 1959, Arai - 1926 as a hat company, not clear when helmets first appeared), making it the oldest of the group. Schuberth's helmets are TUV certified (better than DOT) and have flip-down visors as well as Bluetooth integration and carbon fiber shells as options. They are very highly regarded, but not widely sold in America, except as the BMW OEM helmets.

Maybe a little bit of Googling would have shown this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like Shoei RF1100 etc because they fit my head. Among the top brands, fit is the most important factor in choosing which one to get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Schuberth is a German company that's been making helmets since 1954 (founded in 1922, whereas Shoei - 1959, Arai - 1926 as a hat company, not clear when helmets first appeared), making it the oldest of the group. Schuberth's helmets are TUV certified (better than DOT) and have flip-down visors as well as Bluetooth integration and carbon fiber shells as options. They are very highly regarded, but not widely sold in America, except as the BMW OEM helmets.

Maybe a little bit of Googling would have shown this.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It's so personal...I like my Nolan N43....not the quietest helmet but great 'sideways' vis and very comfortable...but not 'full face' unless you plug in the 'chin bit'! Then I bought the Schuberth C3. A really well made 'flip up' full face...but not nearly as good 'sideways' view and for me...too claustaphobic.
Anyway...the debate on 'which helmet is best' will go on for ever!! (If they could make the Nolan a bit quieter it would get my vote)

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
My local shop carries Schuberth modular helmets. They look and feel top quality. I wear Arai but if I had to choose b/w those two I'd probably go Schuberth. A friend wears Shoei but they look to wide to me. Doesn't mean they are, they just look that way to me.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
Subscribed. We only have one Schubreth dealer here and it is about an hour and a half away. I really want to try one on. I am a by scared of modular helmets, but they look great and have some great build features.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not all helmets are creates equal. Dot, Snell etc just standards. Buy the safest helmet that fits your head. For me that was the RF1100.

I highly recommend this Site when choosing a helmet:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Not all helmets are creates equal. Dot, Snell etc just standards. Buy the safest helmet that fits your head. For me that was the RF1100.

I highly recommend this Site when choosing a helmet:

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME
Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App
Very cool. But, they are essentially doing what TUV does by default: batch testing production runs and witnessing the test as opposed to having it be vendor self-certified, or only doing testing at the design stage.

However, it's very nice that they make this information easily viewable by the public...this definitely goes on my bookmark list.

Either way, ECE 22.05 seems to be the most up-to-date testing being done. DOT testing is a crock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts