Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I was blessed with a big head (well that's what she said.. j'k). I'm in the market for a new helmet and want to know what brand is best for those with big heads (XL size). I'm more concern with comfort over noise reduction, and I don't want to look like a character from Spaceballs. I really like AGV helmets (have yet to try one on) but I'm not sure (even in XL) if it will be comfy. Anyways thanks for the comments in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've searched around, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I was blessed with a big head (well that's what she said.. j'k). I'm in the market for a new helmet and want to know what brand is best for those with big heads (XL size). I'm more concern with comfort over noise reduction, and I don't want to look like a character from Spaceballs. I really like AGV helmets (have yet to try one on) but I'm not sure (even in XL) if it will be comfy. Anyways thanks for the comments in advance :)
I have an AGV TiTech and a GP Tech....for the TiTech, AGV made only 2 outer shell sizes so mine is a XXL, uses the largest outer shell, and its really snug. For the GP Tech, they changed and made three outer shell sizes...mine is XL, uses the middle size outer shell and fits great, much better than the TiTech. I'm considering buying the L pads set since L and XL are the same outer shell.
After XL, it jumps up to the biggest of the three outer shells which is gigantic :eek:...when I first got the GP Tech I ordered an XXL thinking the size was the same and the thing looked like a small family could live in it....so I called sportbiketrackgear.com (awesome cust service) and figured out the sizing.

Sooo, dunno if any of that makes sense, but my point is....if you have a grande noggin and you like AGV, try out the GP Tech.
Of course, it all comes down to personal fit, so only you will know what works for you.

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a few review videos of the AGV GP Tech, I think I'm getting one but I'm going to hold up and not buy one online. Just going to wait until I get back to the states and go to the dealership.

·
Registered
388 Posts
it all depends on head shape, with my head shape agv never fit right. if you are concerned about comfort, there is only one brand that will fit the bill. get an arai and you will thank me later. i believe arai and other high end helmet companies have not 2 but 3 different shell sizes, they usually tend to have better fitment then the 1 or 2 shell size helmets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I too am blessed with a larger than average head.
I would advise you to try on as many different makes as possible.
I have an 'Arai' shaped head, but I know of others who have a 'Shoei' shaped head' I've tried XL AGV helmets which fit my head, but twist my ears, not very comfortable
Arai provide different thickness cheek pads and padding, so they should be able to get a helmet to fit your head.
Time spent finding the correct size and fit of helmet now will save you in the future
Happy hunting

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just closed the deal on my new (well to me) 2005 999R with ~3300 miles on it! Definitely need a new helmet to go with the bike :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
What you need to do before you buy online is try on a number of helmets before you buy. That's because you have to take into account head shape as well as size. For example, a previous poster was suggesting an Arai to you as the most comfortable helmet. Well that wouldn't work for me at all, as most Japanese helmets have a fish bowl fit for me and seem bulky, especially Shoei, but the same applies to an extent for Arai in my case. For some reason I have an "Italian" head and have always had great fit, for me, with AGV, Suomy and Bieffe when they were around. Try before you buy.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Check webbikeworld. The helmet reviewers talk about XL helmets all the time because that is the size they wear.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What you need to do before you buy online is try on a number of helmets before you buy. That's because you have to take into account head shape as well as size. For example, a previous poster was suggesting an Arai to you as the most comfortable helmet. Well that wouldn't work for me at all, as most Japanese helmets have a fish bowl fit for me and seem bulky, especially Shoei, but the same applies to an extent for Arai in my case. For some reason I have an "Italian" head and have always had great fit, for me, with AGV, Suomy and Bieffe when they were around. Try before you buy.

Suomy's the [email protected] my good man, in fact, i'd say that my Vandal is one of the best helmets i've ever worn/bought...

Let me put it this way : The vandal is lighter, flows air better and has a better shield than my Shoei X-spirit 2 (X-twelve 2) - and for half the money...

Talking about the X-spirit 2, hell, it's one of the most overhyped (not to mention over-priced) lids out there.
It boggles the mind how Shoei justifies the huge price difference between the X-spirit 2 and, say, the XR1100 (RF100)...

Since i'm located in Euroland and AGV's are more common over here compared to your side of the pond gents, well, let me just say that while they're considered to be good lids from a protection standpoint, build-wise are somewhat flimsy : visors that get scratched easily, air-vents that fall apart, colour schemes that get discolored/scratched easily and so on so forth...
Other than that, the AGV T2/Grid are the best venting helmets i've ever put on my noggin' - it's almost like having an air-conditioner inside your helmet :D - again, much, MUCH better than my 700-somethin' euro x-spirit 2.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
"Try before you buy..." is the best advise here. Every "head shape" is different & personal preference will influence your decision. Personally, my favorite helmets over the years have been AGV (X-Vent/XR-2/GP Tech) & Suomy (Spec 1R/Extreme). They just "fit" me. My Suomy Spec-1s are still my go-to favorite helmet - light, incredibly comfy, well-vented, & stand-out graphics. But recently, I tried on the Shoei X-12 Vermulen Rep... ? It's the new Gold Standard as far a MY head goes - Best Fit bar none.

Try before you buy... Then hit the Internet. ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I finally bought my helmet. I tried many and I ended up getting the AGV GP TECH ROSSI 'ELEMENTS'

I just love this helmet. Fits like a glove and wow is it light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts