Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all let me say hello from Mexico City, I have been following this amazing forum for about two years, since I decided My next bike would be the Multistrada.
I finally have a brand new 2012 pikes peak in my garage and hope i will enjoy it so much, I just have 600 km and three days with her and have had a great time so far.
The only thing i concern about is the thunk noise coming from the fork, I was aware of this problem but was hoping ohlins would do something about it.
Dealers in Mexico dont know nothing about this recall and say i am the first customer complaning about this. I just dont like the idea of opening a brand new ohlins fork which has electronics in it. I know many of you have done it and would like to know if it is a simple job to do or if there is any important risk.
Thanks a lot and hope you can help me.
Congratulations for this great forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue (2011)
They fixed it in a few hours, just had to get the right deep sockets to do the work

No thunk now and all seems the way it was before

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Welcome. The electronics are not inside the fork. And the install is very easy. They don't even pull the forks off the bike. They just need to put some shims in there. Tell your dealer to find the service order.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The SB is dated 13/9/11. It's not hard for a mechanic who know's what he's doing...but if your dealer does not even know about this, I'd be there with a copy of the SB in my hand making sure they did it right!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot, I was thinking on adding preload to the fork and see if it solves the problem, If this is an easy fix will talk to the dealer again and make them do the work.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It's a known fault with an SB to correct it. Don't starting adding pre-load to try and correct it. Ducati assure everyone it does no damage (mmm???) so there is no big rush but go through the SB with your dealer and make sure you are happy that they understand it. They will have to order the shims...and that will take weeks!

Thanks a lot, I was thinking on adding preload to the fork and see if it solves the problem, If this is an easy fix will talk to the dealer again and make them do the work.
Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Between the rear shock DES error and the shims on the front shocks, I am really wondering how Ohlins manages to have such a good name?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Multi-rider....you forgot the people who have the leaking seals!
Also...as Ducati / Ohlins know of the knock problem, why are they still shipping bikes that need the SB? I (like most) really like the bike...but the factory need a boot up the bum on a number of issues. (Unless of course you're a true 'Ducatisti', in which case Ducati can do no wrong and it's us silly customers who don't understand the bike!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Between the rear shock DES error and the shims on the front shocks, I am really wondering how Ohlins manages to have such a good name?
Ohlins, I have found, is pretty good if you buy high end parts directly from them. When they make parts for production series motorcycles the quality is skewed by how much money the manufacturer is willing to pay for the part. I'm guessing quality control was skipped on a bit because of monetary reasons :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ask your dealer to search the Ducati Dealer System for the Bulletin - Ducati Italy have put it on there for all dealers to look at and it explains how to fix.

Your dealer should take your bike and check if the problem exists - not all bikes suffer from this - he should then check the Dealer system and search for the Bulletin on the system.

The dealer may be relunctant to do it because it does take a few labour hours to do it, but please insist he does it and it should be free also.

Bugs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a thunk noise that comes out from the interior of the fork, you can only hear it at really low speed when you drive over bumps, little potholes or imperfections on the rode.
Search "front end thunk" post on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
545 Posts
It is a thunk noise that comes out from the interior of the fork, you can only hear it at really low speed when you drive over bumps, little potholes or imperfections on the rode.
Search "front end thunk" post on this forum.
I don't have that, but I have that heavy humming when I brake hard enough to use up most of the fork travel. Thought it was the brakes at first, but it sure sounds like its coming out of the forks. Doesn't affect feel at all, just sounds awful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts