Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a fan of this site for a long time. Lots of great info. I'm finally in the market to get a Ducati! I like the 1098S and I love the 1198S.

I'm actually looking to pick up a salvage/rebuilt 1198s if I can find one stricly for the track. If anyone has any lines on one feel free to PM me.

Thanks again and I hope to get one soon!!

Kris

·
Registered
463 Posts
Do a search on the 13x forums. There are a couple of xx8 salvage bikes listed in the for sale area there. One that I know for sure about is in Ohio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I have been looking at the wera forum, they do have a couple bikes there. Let me ask you, do you think I should just get a 1098S for a good deal or wait to try and find an 1198S. Is the traction control worth it??

This is going to be a dedicated track bike so that is why im torn.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Food for thought..........

I love buying and fixing up salvaged bikes, especially Ducati's.

First rule, buy a wrecked bike that "can " re-registered for street use. Some salvage tittles do not allow this and many do. The reason I say this is after a couple of years of racing/track days. You will look towards other bikes. Now you have a strctly track bike, now if that bike has a street title it's worth a bunch more. Remember if you no longer want it for the track many others will share that same thought......Then it can be re-claimed for the street......You can double your resale value after you've had your fun.....

Do not be short sided in this thought, or you will lose mucho $$$$......

And to all the pissy faced individuals that say ANY salvaged bike has no value, I say bullsh*t! I have recorded sales and real values to show that they still have 70% of KKB value in many states.........

Enjoy
M

thanks guys. I have been looking at the wera forum, they do have a couple bikes there. Let me ask you, do you think I should just get a 1098S for a good deal or wait to try and find an 1198S. Is the traction control worth it??

This is going to be a dedicated track bike so that is why im torn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also finding out about red keys, black keys and key codes....Without these the bike isnt worth getting. I had no idea with the keys you would have to spend another $2500+ to replace the dash and get a new set of keys so you can run the bike. That is crazy!

·
Registered
797 Posts
What you are asking for is to build a new Ducati, and with that price of ownership comes the many issues of dealing with these little games, keys etc. One thing I've done is find out who the last owner was and contact him directly, prior to sale to get the red & black key, card. With that you can reset anything. And truth be told you will most likely be getting one with crashed speed-o, and then you're toast and may need to buy the package, by the way find a good dealer for that package so you can get a discount (cost+10%) normally as the cost of that stuff is pricey.
Salvage yards these days understand all these issues even if they do not want to own up to it. And always expect to spend an extra $1500.00 in unforseen issues.....

If looking for a 1198S, which could be a nice find, wait until dec-jan-feb as these months have more crashed bikes and values are soo lower........
I always buy in the winter......

I'm also finding out about red keys, black keys and key codes....Without these the bike isnt worth getting. I had no idea with the keys you would have to spend another $2500+ to replace the dash and get a new set of keys so you can run the bike. That is crazy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts